• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fullback?

:wtf:

They call him a hybrid-back. He ran a 4.5 40, and was a projected 3rd-4th round pick. He also played TE at NC State too. He's just a bruiser type guy. Good to have leading the way for Le'Veon.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They call him a hybrid-back. He ran a 4.5 40, and was a projected 3rd-4th round pick. He also played TE at NC State too. He's just a bruiser type guy. Good to have leading the way for Le'Veon.
caight a ton of passes

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little confused here.
Edmunds is 6'1" 217 but stated he has good size.
But Allen is 6'2" 215 and is stated he doesn't have ideal size.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no way Carolina was taking a LB in the first. They needed weapons for Cam and it was WR all the way. The only question was whether it was DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley. I could've seen NE picking Evans for sure. This is what irks me and why I was so adamant 1-2 months ago about not doing things the "Steeler Way" in this year's draft:

The Saints were able to trade up from 27 to 14 to get the guy they wanted in exchange for their 1st and 5th this year, plus their 1st next year which is probably a bottom 10 pick so it's not like they traded away a top 10-15 picks next year. I don't think Davenport was worth that much but New Orleans did and they did what they had to do to get him. It wouldn't of cost that much to move up from 28 to 20. Tennessee traded their 1st and 4th to Baltimore for their 1st and 6th. After the trade with Martavis, we had an extra 3rd round pick to work with as well. Maybe work with Detroit to move up to 20? Give them a 1st and a 3rd for their 20th? All I've ever asked for and stated is that we make some moves to go and grab a guy that we want instead of settling for whatever comes to us and this was my fear all offseason. We won't trade up because we're the Pittsburgh Steelers and we don't do that but now look at what happened. Once LVE went at 19 I knew the only way we were getting Evans was by trading up. In my opinion, Safety was the right position, I've said that all along, but Edmunds wasn't the right Safety. He would've been available at 60 or even the 3rd round probably. Another issue I have is that we have yet to satisfy our LB need and we only have 2 5ths and a 7th left. While I like the Washington and Randolph picks, with hindsight, I would've liked to use one of those picks as a package with our first to move up to get Rashaan Evans. We still have 2 5ths as well we could've thrown in there as well.

While everyone around us does what it needs to do to get the talent they want, we stay stationary and take what comes to us. That's my biggest problem with this organization right now. That mindset might have worked 10-15 years ago but it doesn't work now. Jacksonville built their defense in the draft by trading up and drafting smart. Look at their turn around. Probably the best turn around by an NFL team in a LONG time.

2017: Jacksonville traded their 2nd and 6th for Seattle's 34th, which ended up being Cam Robinson from Bama.
2016: Jacksonville traded their 2nd and 5th for Baltimore's 36th, which ended up being Myles Jack from UCLA.

Add those moves in with getting Ronnie Harrison this year at 93, who is actually compared to a decent NFL vet in Adrian Wilson (5x pro bowler in Arizona), unlike the guy we got at 28, and Jalen Ramsey in 2016 and Jacksonville's defense is young, tough and built for future success.

CAR...you are closer to the team so I'll grant you CAR, but the point still remains where they had to go and at least 2 other teams were play. DET still used the pick so that should tell you that they wanted their guy at 20 or blow us away and no one did.

Saints...1 vs 6

Edmunds, you're being preemptive here in terms of whether he's the right S or not, but you can vent. I agree he probably would've been there later.

Draft concept...I understand it's frustrating but this is a pretty good team so they've made enough good decisions in the draft doing it their way the 40+ yrs of me following them, I'll have to trust they know what they're doing even if I don't like it or agree with it.

It's fine to be critical too, that's in part is what these boards are about.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be interpreting this wrong but did we really draft a S in the 1st round just because he might help us stop Gronk and maybe some other TEs?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My "Penny For Your Thoughts" Draft Writeup:

1.28 - Terrell Edmunds - S, Virginia Tech
It was almost scary how big of a reach this was. You can argue that the kids value was hurt by his shoulder injury in college, so there's that. WF had him as the #3 or 4 ranked safety, so there might be more hype to this kid than I originally thought. Even still I don't know why they wanted another SS type when they already have Davis & Burnett. I'm really hoping the Steelers have a plan in place. What I like most about Edmunds is he's a sure-tackler and has great communication skills. Both are things this defense has been devoid of in recent years. C-

2.60 - James Washington - WR, Oklahoma St
My favorite pick of this draft. After Bryant got traded it was almost a guarantee they were going to take a stab at a WR with their next couple picks. I was pretty upset still seeing Justin Reid available because it made our 1st pick even more of a reach. But Washington checks a lot of boxes. He's not the specimen that Bryant was, but he's a gritty WR with an amazing catch radius. I think the Steelers will make great use of him in the slot. B+

3.76 - Mason Rudolph - QB, Oklahoma St
Very surprised that this kid was still available in the 3rd Rd. He was being projected as a fringe 1st Rd pick, but destined for the 2nd. And I was surprised to see how many people had him rated in their top 5 at the position. Some liked him better than Josh Allen. At this point Rudolph is going to push for the QB2. I would love it if they just dumped Landry Jones, but that's a dream I doubt will happen. Dobbs & Rudolph are the future of the backup position, but I have some faith that Rudolph can develop into a good starter. Doubt he'll even turn into a franchise type QB, but we'll have to wait & see his development. FWIW I really thought they were going to draft Malik Jefferson here. Pretty disappointed they didn't. But getting a possible heir apparent is ok in my book. C+

3.92 - Chuks Okorafor - OT, Western Michigan
Questionable pick. Considering they have yet to figure out what they have in Jerald Hawkins I'm wondering if Okorafor is destined to play inside and be the utility backup that Hubbard was. We are getting closer & closer to a slight overhaul for the O-line group. There is a very real possibility that both Foster & Pouncey could be gone within the next 2 years. Finney is waiting in the wings replace 1 of those guys. Feiler was being groomed to be the next man up, but drafting Okorafor could put an end to that. Would have rather gone defense with this pick. Dorian O'Daniel was available. Ugh! C-

5.148 - Marcus Allen - S, Penn St
Great value pick. But still an unnecessary one. I was never very high on Allen leading up to the draft. His skills seem somewhat limited to me. He'll probably be a solid special teamer and maybe a relief player on defense. C+

5.165 - Jaylen Samuels - RB/TE, North Carolina St
Gadget type player. Going out on a limb and assuming he'll be a RB at the NFL level. We wanted a RB, and here he is. I don't know enough about this kid to go into much depth about what I think. From reading in here it sounds like he's a bruiser. I don't think he'll be a FB at this level since we don't need one. Nix was a pro-bowler last season and just got a 4-yr extension in February. C-

7.246 - Joshua Frazier - DT, Alabama
Good depth piece on the D-line. He will push McCullers off the team, but I'm not sure he'll make the final 53. Walton is a FA after 2018 so Frazier might be the depth of the future if they can figure out how to keep him from being sniped off the PS. C+

My overall grade: C-
Not loving this draft considering the weaknesses on defense. They needed defensive help in this draft and only went with 2 positions on defense, completely ignoring the most glaring weakness at ILB. They have V-Will, Bostic, Matakevich, Fort, Kelsey, Galambos & UDFA Matthew Thomas. Nothing about that group screams confidence. I don't think any of those guys have coverage skills. So maybe we'll start seeing more subpackages with extra S's? Still, for a team that wants to win now while they have a franchise QB they completely ignored that mentality with this draft. I was very confused & am really having a hard time digesting it, but I still gotta trust the process and remember that Colbert is touted as one of the best in the business for a reason.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be interpreting this wrong but did we really draft a S in the 1st round just because he might help us stop Gronk and maybe some other TEs?

I think. So Bostic really is the plan to replace Shazier.

I'm guessing that Tomlin & Butler are planning to use more big nickel packages where they swap out an ILB for a S. Which is scary considering that typically indicates zone coverage, but also none of the ILBs on the roster have good coverage skills. I also don't like the fact that they still do not have a true FS on the roster. Someone will need to make the transition. I have serious doubts about how well that will work.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers signed 13 UDFA's:

Jarvion Franklin - RB - Western Michigan
Quadree Henderson - WR - Pittsburgh
Pharoah McKever - TE - North Carolina State
Patrick Morris - C - TCU
Chris Schleuger - G- UAB
Ikenna Nwokeji - OL - Elon

Parker Cothren - DT -Penn State
Greg Gilmore - DE - LSU
Kendal Vickers - DE - Tennessee
Olasunkanmi Adeniyi - LB - Toledo
Matthew Thomas - LB - Florida State
Trey Johnson - CB - Villanova
Jamar Summers - CB - UCONN

Any early predictions on who rises above the crop to make a push on the 53? I was impressed they got Matthew Thomas, whom I thought would be drafted by numerous teams. At least they got a ILB, just not from the draft. He's my early favorite. But I know the Steelers showed interest in quite a few names on this list. @ATL96Steeler , @SteelersPride & I mocked Quadree Henderson in the Hoop Mock so I'm pretty excited that he got signed.

UDFA notables from recent years:
2017 - Mike Hilton
2016 - Johnny Maxey & Marcus Tucker
2015 - BJ Finney & Eli Rogers
2014 - Josh Mauro, Roy Philon & Howard Jones

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patrick Morris looks like a beast.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Rode Draft Grades:

1st round - Terrell Edmunds, Safety from Virginia Tech:

Since the offseason began, I've said that Safety should be the pick here. I believe we tried to fill the right need with the wrong player. Terrell Edmunds wasn't projected to go before the 3rd round is multiple 7-round mocks I've seen. The closest NFL comparison according to 2 different NFL.com analysts is an undrafted vet who played 2 games last year. I am not impressed with the highlights packages I've seen of him. I don't think he does anything better than what guys like Justin Reid, Jessie Bates or Ronnie Harrison do. Justin Reid was still available at 60 too. At first glance, I think we fucked up yet another first round pick. Only reason my grade isn't an F is because we drafted for the right position. Grade: D

2nd round - James Washington, Wide Receiver from Oklahoma State:

We always draft a WR and this year was no different. I believe we got the best WR in this class, although I would've like to get an LB to fill the hole left by Shazier. But, with the trade of Martavis Bryant, we did have a place for one more WR. With AB, Eli and JuJu, I believe we now have one of, if not the most, talented receiving corps in the league. Giving more offensive weapons for Ben is always a good thing in my book. If the 1st round pick was different, I wouldn't like this pick as much as I do. Still doesn't fill the ILB need, even with guys like Jerome Baker and Malik Jefferson still available, they couldn't resist a very good and talented WR. But, because things are the way they are....Grade: B+

3rd round - Mason Rudolph, Quarterback from Oklahoma State and Chukwuma Okorafor, Tackle from Western Michigan

With future needs in mind, Mason Rudolph in the 3rd round was a steal. While we are trying to win now, there's still a future we have to prepare for and that future is one without Ben Roethlisberger, first ballot Hall of Famer. We are one of very few teams who've had the same starting QB for each of the last 14 years. Mason is the 5th QB we've drafted since drafting Ben. Landry Jones is not the answer to the question, "Who is the future starting QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers?" Landry is a free agent after this year, could this signal the end for Landry in a Steelers uniform? I, along with many other Steelers fans, hope so. As far as the Okorafor pick, I don't feel like we had a need for an OT. Kinda puzzling in my opinion. Josey Jewell was available and while he's not an elite player, he would've filled that ILB need. With that said....Grade: C

4th round - No Picks

5th round - Marcus Allen, Safety from Penn State and Jaylen Samuels, RB/FB/TE from NC State

I pointed out Marcus Allen's name earlier in the offseason as a guy I'd rather have over Jessie Bates. I stick by that opinion and I'm really happy we were able to get him in the 5th round. As far as the Jaylen Samuels pick, I am in love with this pick. He's a versatile, run blocking, overall big dude that can plug up the pass rush and also open up some lanes for Le'Veon and JC. I understand we don't have the need because of Rosie, but Samuels can also move over to TE while Nix is mainly just a goal-line, one note kinda guy. I'd much rather have versatility over predictable. Grade: B+

6th round - No Picks

7th round - Joshua Frazier, Tackle from Alabama.

So Pittsburgh addressed 3 or the 5 most pressing needs in this draft. Whether they addressed them correctly is a difference of opinions. For S, they pick up Edmunds and Allen. For the future need of a QB, we get Rudolph. To add to the defensive unit, we get Joshua Frazier. He is a big dude and takes up space. He isn't gonna be a top playmaker, he could be a decent accent or add-on to Tuitt or Watt. Grade: C

Overall - I am disappointed in the lack of attention paid to the needs at LB and CB. I feel like we botched yet another first round pick, while overachieving in the 2nd round like we tend to do. I feel like, as the draft progressed, we should've tried to make some moves to move up. Would've loved to see us move up to about 20-22 for Rashaan Evans. In the 2nd round, guys like Justin Reid, Josh Jackson, Carlton Davis, Ronnie Harrison, all these guys that would substantially help our secondary were still available and guys like Josey Jewell, Jerome Baker, Malik Jefferson, all these guys would address our glaring LB need were still available as well. Yet in typical Steelers fashion we add another WR. Love the Washington kid but we had more important needs that weren't met. It's gonna be a continous argument amongst Steeler Nation over Mason Rudolph. I personally feel that, while we need to win now, we also have a future to look forward to and that future maybe as soon as next year. The QB class in 2019 is garbage and the free agent QBs in 2019 aren't that much better. We should've address our LB need before drafting a QB, but I've thought Mason Rudolph would be a perfect fit here in Pittsburgh and while Rudolph does have his flaws at the college level, he's at least still moldable for Ben. Landry is flawed at the professional level and has obviously not taken to the teachings he's been given. I hope this marks the end for Landry. I like the Allen pick, probably one of the 2 or 3 safeties I really wanted here and I absolutely love the Samuels pick. Got him at a good value, didn't have to go up and get him in the 3rd or 4th.

In my opinion, this felt like they went into the war room and said, "Okay gentlemen, what's more important to our franchise, continuing the steady and decent success we've had for 9 of the last 13 years, but knowing it will end when Ben retires and we won't be prepared to stop the bad years that will come, or, competing the way we have for the last 4 years, while ensuring that there are no bad years when Ben retires." I feel like they went with option 2. There were ways to address both needs but it required the FO to step out of the comfort zone. It's now obvious that that is not a possibility with the current regime. Winning now should always be a priority, but I believe that's been the philosophy for the last 4 years and we've won 3 division titles, gone to 1 AFC title game and that's it. If we were gonna win a championship, last year was the year it was gonna happen. We had everyone healthy and playing very good football, but our egos got the best of us off the field and we couldn't close the door in certain games.

With all that said, I am giving this draft a few different grades.

Grade for meeting the "now needs": C+
Grade for meeting the "future needs": B+
Grade for meeting both: D

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that Tomlin & Butler are planning to use more big nickel packages where they swap out an ILB for a S. Which is scary considering that typically indicates zone coverage, but also none of the ILBs on the roster have good coverage skills. I also don't like the fact that they still do not have a true FS on the roster. Someone will need to make the transition. I have serious doubts about how well that will work.
You and me both. I’m open to being suprised but it just seems like a really bad plan going in.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patrick Morris - C - TCU
Chris Schleuger - G- UAB

Greg Gilmore - DE - LSU
Matthew Thomas - LB - Florida State

Any early predictions on who rises above the crop to make a push on the 53? I was impressed they got Matthew Thomas, whom I thought would be drafted by numerous teams. At least they got a ILB, just not from the draft. He's my early favorite. But I know the Steelers showed interest in quite a few names on this list. @ATL96Steeler , @SteelersPride & I mocked Quadree Henderson in the Hoop Mock so I'm pretty excited that he got signed.

2017 - Mike Hilton
Damn it. Was really hoping for Scales.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patrick Morris - C - TCU
Chris Schleuger - G- UAB

Greg Gilmore - DE - LSU
Matthew Thomas - LB
- Florida State

2017 - Mike Hilton

THE HIGHLIGHTED my best guesses

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks like he's 45. :dhd:
After some brief digging on him one thing that stands out is he is a "leader in the gym" or a "workout warrior".

Shall we nickname him "The Great White Deebo" ?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After some brief digging on him one thing that stands out is he is a "leader in the gym" or a "workout warrior".

Shall we nickname him "The Great White Deebo" ?
That's for TCU.

I would assume most guys who get drafted can be called a leader in the gym and workout warrior.

Deebo was superhuman, even among other athletic freaks.

I'm a big old wet blanket this morning, huh? Must be my neck pain making me grumpy.