• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns like Chandler and his contract. He's not going anywhere unless he requests it. The only way Bled is getting moved is if you take Knight too or give up a top prospect.

You guys like Will Barton? The Nuggets organization is obviously higher on him than I am. With him due for a massive pay day in the next year and change, I'd give him up for a point guard in a heartbeat.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen him as high as the lottery picks in some drafts. That's nuts. No way Kennard is anything more than shooter off the bench in the NBA. He's like a shorter version of Ryan Anderson

Probably.

I think his ceiling is Kyle Korver range though. He could be better than a bench player. Not sure he should be a lotto pick, but with such a high premium on shooting these days there are much worse ways to spend a first rounder.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys like Will Barton? The Nuggets organization is obviously higher on him than I am. With him due for a massive pay day in the next year and change, I'd give him up for a point guard in a heartbeat.

Barton is a quality rotation player. He is exactly the type of player that gets grossly overpaid by bad teams in need of talent. If he can be resigned on a modest deal, he is valuable though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters I think remains with the Heat, but I hope the Lakers get him to continue to clog their space and steer George away.:clap:

Why would they even consider that? They already have a SG cancer in Young.

The article in the OP said right in it that that Lakers are most likely going to wait and try to make a splash in next year's free agency crop, not this year's. That was a quote, not the unnamed source or rumor about Pelinka throwing a big deal at Waiters (unless you consider a Nick Young-sixed deal of under $6M per a big deal, if Young opts out).

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they even consider that? They already have a SG cancer in Young.

The article in the OP said right in it that that Lakers are most likely going to wait and try to make a splash in next year's free agency crop, not this year's. That was a quote, not the unnamed source or rumor about Pelinka throwing a big deal at Waiters (unless you consider a Nick Young-sixed deal of under $6M per a big deal, if Young opts out).

Waiters is a much better player than Young. Not even close. That is a terrible comparison

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters is a much better player than Young. Not even close. That is a terrible comparison

Based on? Last year, they both had PERs in the 14s, making them essentially average NBA players. Waiters' career averages are 13/3/3, Young's are 12/1/2 in 5 less m/g. Young was marginally the better shooter last year (.430/.404/.856 to .424/.396/.646, what is up with Waiters' FT %?).

Waiters has a SLIGHT edge over Young based on an assist or rebound per game or so. Much better lol?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on? Last year, they both had PERs in the 14s, making them essentially average NBA players. Waiters' career averages are 13/3/3, Young's are 12/1/2 in 5 less m/g. Young was marginally the better shooter last year (.430/.404/.856 to .424/.396/.646, what is up with Waiters' FT %?).

Waiters has a SLIGHT edge over Young based on an assist or rebound per game or so. Much better lol?

You can't look into stats and make assumptions. Stats doesn't always tell you the entire story. It doesn't tell you the impact Waiters had on the heat. Also doesn't take defense into play at all.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't look into stats and make assumptions. Stats doesn't always tell you the entire story. It doesn't tell you the impact Waiters had on the heat. Also doesn't take defense into play at all.

Any Laker fan will tell you that Young's defense was leaps and bounds better last year. He finally committed to it. Both players have been cancerous influences in the past. Waiters is on target to be the next Nick Young essentially (basketball-wise, not socially lol).

It's not like I haven't paid attention to Waiters. I'm a huge Syracuse fan and was disappointed he left too early, but someone reached and drafted him way too early anyway (Cavs). He wasn't ready.

If the Heat feel he made that type of impact, they can pay to keep him. I can't see there being a lot of competition for his services with a sizable raise. There's a reason he signed for $3.2M per last year, when guys were getting overpaid left and right.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Laker fan will tell you that Young's defense was leaps and bounds better last year. He finally committed to it. Both players have been cancerous influences in the past. Waiters is on target to be the next Nick Young essentially (basketball-wise, not socially lol).

It's not like I haven't paid attention to Waiters. I'm a huge Syracuse fan and was disappointed he left too early, but someone reached and drafted him way too early anyway (Cavs). He wasn't ready.

If the Heat feel he made that type of impact, they can pay to keep him. I can't see there being a lot of competition for his services with a sizable raise. There's a reason he signed for $3.2M per last year, when guys were getting overpaid left and right.

I think the only time you can make the claim about Waiters being a cancer was in Cleveland. There were no reports or evidence of this when he played with OKC and Miami. Players and coaches on both teams had nothing but positive things to say about him. I think there will be more teams willing to pay him this year compared to last year because he actually proved he can be a starter and have a positive impact team. Nobody was going to pay him last year because he was simply a 7th or 8th man on a team with 2 superstars.

I just don't think it is some coincidence that the Heat went 7-6 in their final 13 games without Waiters as they went 23-5 in the previous 28 games with Waiters in the lineup. I don't mind paying him. I just wouldn't exceed 15 mill yearly. I will have no issue if Miami gave him 3/45 or 4/60 with a player/team option after year 2 of the contract.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just because he had a great impact on the Heat, doesn't mean his impact would be the same with any other team.

Maybe Waiters figured some things out and will finally live up to his draft status? Or maybe he is just in the right place at the right time and couldn't duplicate his success in Miami anywhere else?

The Lakers are in a similar situation with Nick Young. The season before he signed his last contract, he played really well and was rewarded. Then he sucked for the next couple of seasons before having arguably the best all around season of his career this past season.

Is it because he's up for FA again and looking for a payday? Or is it because Luke is the coach who was finally able to get him to buy in?

As @shopson67 points out, along with his offensive numbers being much better, he actually played solid defense this past season. I can tell you though, I don't think Lakers fans will ever be convinced that he has finally grown up. As long as he's on the team, we'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As much as I like what Waiters showed last season, I don't think the Lakers need another guy with the potential to be a headcase. Especially with the jury still out on Russell in that regard.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would stay far away from Waiters. He was a bad player for years. 1 good year doesn't change my opinion on him.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters is a good stopgap for a team lacking talent / a team in the middle of development. For majority of other squads, he'll be coming off the bench.

I might had contradicted myself because I think James Johnson should stay over him; whose a bench player in his own right. But I think overall Johnson is a better player who can and should play 4 of the 5 positions for the Heat next year during small ball. To top it off he's by far a superior defender.

Another thing to keep in mind is Richardson was plague with injuries and developing him is near the top of the Heat's goals. To be fair the entire Heat roster had the injury bug, but you get my point.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 guys who earned themselves a cash-out this season:

1) James Johnson
2) Dion Waiters
3) Jonathan Simmons
4) Ian Clark
5) Joe Ingles

Honorable mentions: Javale McGee, Patty Mills, Otto Porter,

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor jalen lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 guys who earned themselves a cash-out this season:

1) James Johnson
2) Dion Waiters
3) Jonathan Simmons
4) Ian Clark
5) Joe Ingles

Honorable mentions: Javale McGee, Patty Mills, Otto Porter,

Surprised Porter is on your honorable mention list. I would be willing to bet he gets the biggest contract of the names listed.

As for Waiters, I think it is interesting nobody is questioning why he wasn't successful in his first two stops. Waiters thrives when he is a focal point. In Cleveland, he was picking up scraps beside ball dominant Irving, and he had the same scenario playing with Russ in OKC. It is no coincidence he broke out in Miami where he had more opportunity. Waiters just isn't that good playing a bit role off the ball.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised Porter is on your honorable mention list. I would be willing to bet he gets the biggest contract of the names listed.

As for Waiters, I think it is interesting nobody is questioning why he wasn't successful in his first two stops. Waiters thrives when he is a focal point. In Cleveland, he was picking up scraps beside ball dominant Irving, and he had the same scenario playing with Russ in OKC. It is no coincidence he broke out in Miami where he had more opportunity. Waiters just isn't that good playing a bit role off the ball.

Good news for Miami is that he claims he is willing to give Miami a home town discount yesterday so hopefully 4/52 or something

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news for Miami is that he claims he is willing to give Miami a home town discount yesterday so hopefully 4/52 or something

When a guy finds a good fit, he should make the money work and stay, especially if he has a somewhat checkered past like Dion. I hope he succeeds in Miami, just don't want the Lakers to overspend on him as I don't see him as a great fit in LA.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a guy finds a good fit, he should make the money work and stay, especially if he has a somewhat checkered past like Dion. I hope he succeeds in Miami, just don't want the Lakers to overspend on him as I don't see him as a great fit in LA.

I just can't see him going to LA. If he leaves Miami, it would be to a team where he is a lock to start and that team will also need to give him much more money than the Heat. Lakers to be are out of the picture simply because he would be a bench player there.

I could see a team like Brooklyn throwing money at him though.