• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVP of Baseball Operations. He is no longer the GM. Bobby Evans is.
Yeah and what the hell do you think the EVP of Baseball Operations does? BTW I wasn't asking his job title, I was asking what he does.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and what the hell do you think the EVP of Baseball Operations does? BTW I wasn't asking his job title, I was asking what he does.

Polishes trophies.

He is no longer the GM. That is an undisputed fact. Did Evans talk to him about the deals they were making? I'm sure he did, but the reality is Sabean isn't the guy in that role. I will also say that I would be much more comfortable with the deals they made if Sabes was still the GM.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

According to @williewilliejuan - Brian Sabean, Andrew Friedman, Dave Dombrowski, Theo Epstein, and company are no longer the ones to turn to regarding Front Office activity for their respective teams because they're not called "General Managers" anymore. These mystery executives, who are coincidentally the highest paid members of the Baseball Operations sides of their franchises, merely polish trophies now.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polishes trophies.

He is no longer the GM. That is an undisputed fact. Did Evans talk to him about the deals they were making? I'm sure he did, but the reality is Sabean isn't the guy in that role. I will also say that I would be much more comfortable with the deals they made if Sabes was still the GM.

Facepalm all you want. The fact is the Giants went to four World Series with Sabean as the GM, winning three. While I'm sure he had input in the deals they made this year, I'm also sure that he wanted to not step on the toes of the guy now in that chair by meddling in the fine details. If he was still going to do the job of the GM, he would never have moved out of that role in the first place.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to @williewilliejuan - Brian Sabean, Andrew Friedman, Dave Dombrowski, Theo Epstein, and company are no longer the ones to turn to regarding Front Office activity for their respective teams because they're not called "General Managers" anymore. These mystery executives, who are coincidentally the highest paid members of the Baseball Operations sides of their franchises, merely polish trophies now.

Well, now you know.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just curious does andrew and dave polish theo and brians trophies cause they dont have any:suds:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean likely has 2nd-to-final say on all moves the team makes (Baer has final say). But Evans is the guy on the phone building the deals and doing the bulk of the negotiations.

These are Evans' deals. Sabean rubber-stamps them.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just curious does andrew and dave polish theo and brians trophies cause they dont have any:suds:

WeightyWatchfulArabianoryx.gifp

WeightyWatchfulArabianoryx.gif

God damn you.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean likely has 2nd-to-final say on all moves the team makes (Baer has final say). But Evans is the guy on the phone building the deals and doing the bulk of the negotiations.

These are Evans' deals. Sabean rubber-stamps them.
Source? Just because he's delegating to his employees, that doesn't mean he isn't making the final call or doing wheeling-and-dealing himself. Dave Stewart isn't the one who brought Zack Greinke into Arizona, but he's the GM. It was two AGMs who did the negotiations with ownership's green light.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Seriously?

You are talking to two guys who follow this team on a daily basis. Listen to interview after interview and read just about every article written about the team. Sabean is the big-picture guy now-a-days. He may (likely) give Evans marching orders ("Try to get a SP, and here is the pool of guys you are allowed to negotiate with"), but Evans is the primary dude holed up in his office with the phone crazy-glued to his ear. Not to say Sabean doesnt make a call or two, but Evans is the guy doing the heavy lifting.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Seriously?

You are talking to two guys who follow this team on a daily basis. Listen to interview after interview and read just about every article written about the team. Sabean is the big-picture guy now-a-days. He may (likely) give Evans marching orders ("Try to get a SP, and here is the pool of guys you are allowed to negotiate with"), but Evans is the primary dude holed up in his office with the phone crazy-glued to his ear. Not to say Sabean doesnt make a call or two, but Evans is the guy doing the heavy lifting.
Rubber stamp guys don't give out matching orders. Like I said, Sabean may be delegating heavy lifting to Evans, but this is still his club. Just like Friedman has a GM. Just Like Billy Beane has a GM.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rubber stamp guys don't give out matching orders. Like I said, Sabean may be delegating heavy lifting to Evans, but this is still his club. Just like Friedman has a GM. Just Like Billy Beane has a GM.
By that logic, than, wouldnt these trades be Larry Baer's trades? He is Sabean's boss.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By that logic, than, wouldnt these trades be Larry Baer's trades? He is Sabean's boss.
Yes and no. By following the Dodgers' analogy, the entire Friedman regime is a product of the greater Stan Kasten regime, but Kasten handed the reigns over after he took them from Ned Colletti. Andrew Friedman took Ned Colletti's job, even if his title carries a different name.