• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Offseason Thread

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o's keeping an eye on gavin floyd per roch

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matuz got another raise . hoes cleared waviers and sent to aaa . o's looking at ole friend simon maybe a stop gap if the o's need one . per roch they are still looking at gallardo hell if i would give up the 14 pick if he was for free .

if we went to st today i say nolans job is right field to lose . i think the rule v guy rickards ? is the 4th outfielder man are we going to hit homers . i look for everyone to have more homers in 16 over 15 season .nolan ,jj, schoop, matt and manny by atleast 10 more .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we went to st today i say nolans job is right field to lose . i think the rule v guy rickards ? is the 4th outfielder man are we going to hit homers . i look for everyone to have more homers in 16 over 15 season .nolan ,jj, schoop, matt and manny by atleast 10 more .

My question is what are we going to do with Paredes? If Trumbo DH David 1st Riemold RF Kim LF Rickard 4th OF Flaherty ult.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are "one of several teams" expressing interest in Tim Lincecum.

Lincecum, who is making his way back from hip surgery, was reportedly set to begin throwing off a mound last week and is expected to hold a showcase for interested clubs soon. Encina isn't sure what the Orioles' level of interest is at this point, although that could become clearer after the showcase. Lincecum posted a 4.13 ERA over 15 starts last season before being shut down with his hip issue."

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is what are we going to do with Paredes? If Trumbo DH David 1st Riemold RF Kim LF Rickard 4th OF Flaherty ult.
jimmy is bat only unless he has learned something . he was terrible from the rightside . maybe a platoon with trumbo . man would we be hurting for D bench players . caleb c 1st , jimmy dh , flarety any where richards outfield .

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against Cliff Lee for one year, 6M with incentives to reach 8M. Mainly tied to wins and IP since he is not tied to a draft pick. Veteran leader, if anything, he could teach Tillman, Gausman & Bundy how to prepare like a true pro.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10:40am: There’s momentum toward a deal, but some “tweaks” in the proposed terms are needed to finalize a pact, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports (Twitter links).

It’s not clear what kind of value is under contemplate presently, but as of last month Gallardo and his camp were seeking around $40MM over three years, Bob Nightengale of USA Today notes on Twitter.

9:54am: The sides are “moving close” to a contract that would include three guaranteed years, Jon Heyman reports on Twitter. It’s possible that a buyout would be included, adds Heyman, who notes that an agreement is not yet in place.

Baltimore appears to be in the lead to add Gallardo and already recently began reviewing his medicals, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com adds.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10:40am: There’s momentum toward a deal, but some “tweaks” in the proposed terms are needed to finalize a pact, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports (Twitter links).

It’s not clear what kind of value is under contemplate presently, but as of last month Gallardo and his camp were seeking around $40MM over three years, Bob Nightengale of USA Today notes on Twitter.

9:54am: The sides are “moving close” to a contract that would include three guaranteed years, Jon Heyman reports on Twitter. It’s possible that a buyout would be included, adds Heyman, who notes that an agreement is not yet in place.

Baltimore appears to be in the lead to add Gallardo and already recently began reviewing his medicals, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com adds.
well we have seen waldo and 4 years for galdo oh my . when are they going to deal with , manny , tilly and britton ?

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we have seen waldo and 4 years for galdo oh my . when are they going to deal with , manny , tilly and britton ?

Well Waldo will be gone in 2 years before both Manny and Britton are free agents. Tillman will need to bounce back this year or he won't be getting to much from anyone.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does seem like their in a panic since they lost Chen and didn't nothing to replace him.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to BR, we are close on Gallardo and may even strike a 2 year friendly deal with Fowler. Looks like we would lose 2 picks however, 3 years of Gallardo and 2 years of Fowler would help us tremendously and who knows if picks #14 & #29 will help in 2-3 years. I say its worth the risk and at the very least if things go terribly south for the O's, we can use both contracts as trade bait should we go into full dump mode.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to BR, we are close on Gallardo and may even strike a 2 year friendly deal with Fowler. Looks like we would lose 2 picks however, 3 years of Gallardo and 2 years of Fowler would help us tremendously and who knows if picks #14 & #29 will help in 2-3 years. I say its worth the risk and at the very least if things go terribly south for the O's, we can use both contracts as trade bait should we go into full dump mode.
Also looking at signing Pedro Alvarez or trading for Jay Bruce if Fowler doesn't come through.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5:17pm: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Orioles are interested in something in the vicinity of Howie Kendrick’s two-year, $20MM with regard to Fowler (links to Twitter). He also hears that there’s been at least informal dialogue between the two sides recently.

4:29pm: The Orioles are reportedly nearing an agreement with right-hander Yovani Gallardo, and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that if that deal is ultimately finalized, it might only mark the beginning of Baltimore’s late-season maneuvering (links to Twitter). Signing Gallardo would require forfeiture of the team’s No. 14 overall draft pick, and if Baltimore surrenders that pick, the team would be willing to part with the 29th overall selection (its second overall pick, received as compensation for Wei-Yin Chen signing with the Marlins) to add Fowler to the mix. The Orioles also have interest in a trade for Reds right fielder Jay Bruce and interest in free agent Pedro Alvarez, according to Rosenthal. MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko tweets that he, too, has heard that the Orioles would be willing to part with their second pick for Fowler, though not everyone in the front office is in agreement on that front.

Fowler, 29, is coming off one of the best seasons of his career, having batted .250/.346/.411 with a career-high 17 home runs and 20 stolen bases (the second-highest single-season total of his career). The Orioles have a notable need in the outfield, as mainstay Adam Jones is the only surefire source of production in the current group. Korean slugger Hyun-Soo Kim has the upside to be an everyday left fielder, based on his track record in the KBO, but he’s untested in Major League waters. The right field picture is even murkier, with Nolan Reimold, Ryan Flaherty and Mark Trumbo as 40-man options and non-roster invitees L.J. Hoes, Xavier Avery and Alfredo Marte also in the mix. Trumbo, though, profiles more as a designated hitter and has traditionally been a defensive liability in the outfield.

Trumbo may, in fact, have to play in the outfield were the Orioles to sign Alvarez and give him a regular role, as he’d be limited to DH, leaving Trumbo and Chris Davis as options at first base and in right field. Alvarez could, in theory, be a platoon option at DH, with Trumbo handling right field against right-handed pitchers and slotting in at designated hitter with a lefty on the mound.

Bruce, 29 in April, is coming off his second straight disappointing season after a poor finish to the 2015 campaign dragged down his numbers on the year. Bruce was batting .260/.342/.492 as of Aug. 1, but he limped to a .173/.214/.345 finish across his final 59 games, leaving him with an overall batting line of .226/.294/.434 line. Bruce did mash 26 home runs — the fifth time in the past six seasons that he’s hit 25 or more. He’s owed $12.5MM in 2016 and has a $13MM club option ($1MM buyout) for the 2017 season on his contract as well.

Adding Fowler, in particular, would make some sense for the Orioles, as he’d be a defensive and offensive upgrade over their current options in right field. The fit between the two sides has been addressed in multiple editions of the MLBTR Podcast and once again this week in the MLBTR Mailbag, when I opined that Fowler represents an even more substantial upgrade to the Orioles’ internal options than does Gallardo. The downside, of course, is that the Orioles already possess one of baseball’s weakest farm systems (indeed, Rosenthal notes that Baltimore may not even have enough prospect capital to entice the Reds to part with Bruce). Parting with the top two picks in their 2016 draft would only further deplete the team’s chances of re-stocking the farm and could prove costly as the rest of the roster ages. Then again, the Orioles could potentially recoup draft picks in the event that they make qualifying offers to Gallardo and/or Fowler, should either perform well and be eligible to enter the open market again next winter (either via one-year contract or an opt-out clause, as is reportedly being discussed with Gallardo).

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just don't see the need for fowler or bruce . wth happened to bruce ?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler would be a huge get for the O's. Finally, a lead off man pushing Manny to #2 in the order. Has speed and think of the ideal situations that Buck will have at his disposal with Fowler on 1st and Machado in the box.

RF Fowler
3B Machado
CF Jones
1B Davis
DH Trumbo
C Weiters
LF Kim
2B Schoop
SS Hardy

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler would be a huge get for the O's. Finally, a lead off man pushing Manny to #2 in the order. Has speed and think of the ideal situations that Buck will have at his disposal with Fowler on 1st and Machado in the box.

RF Fowler
3B Machado
CF Jones
1B Davis
DH Trumbo
C Weiters
LF Kim
2B Schoop
SS Hardy

I'd probably reverse Schoop and Kim since we don't know a lot about how he'll fare over here yet.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo officially signed with the O's for 3 years/$35 million.