• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not seeing that yet. I am seeing Tanaka wants to go to MLB and his team wants to keep him.

The article says that Tanaka has agreed to do whatever Rakuten decides. So if they're offering him 7.7 Million a year, he's going to stay in Japan. MLB teams could easily beat that salary, but it does show that Rakuten is hell-bent on keeping him. Since that is what they want, to not post him, that is what Tanaka will comply with. They're basically holding him hostage.

I say JD should quit toying around with Choo/Boras and get down to the business of signing him, especially now that it seems Tanaka is not an option. Losing out on an ideal fit for such a glaring team need all because of a game of chicken and maybe one extra year would be asinine.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article says that Tanaka has agreed to do whatever Rakuten decides. So if they're offering him 7.7 Million a year, he's going to stay in Japan. MLB teams could easily beat that salary, but it does show that Rakuten is hell-bent on keeping him. Since that is what they want, to not post him, that is what Tanaka will comply with. They're basically holding him hostage.

I say JD should quit toying around with Choo/Boras and get down to the business of signing him, especially now that it seems Tanaka is not an option. Losing out on an ideal fit for such a glaring team need all because of a game of chicken and maybe one extra year would be asinine.

Knowing Boras, this isn't about one extra year. He's doing his level best to fleece someone.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka can want whatever he wants but as long as his team owns his rights and he's under contract he's pretty much at the mercy of his team. I suppose how strict his team is remains to be seen.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man is doing what he's the best at; waiting and negotiating. I don't like this guy so much, but I respect what he accomplishes on behalf of his clients.

Texas Rangers add right-hander Justin Germano on minor league deal | Dallas Morning News

This pitching news qualifies as a WTF are we thinking move to me.

ST invite, its meaningless, numerous are extended every year, maybe hoping to catch lightning in a bottle a la Neal Cotts, people said the same thing about him before, you just never know

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka can want whatever he wants but as long as his team owns his rights and he's under contract he's pretty much at the mercy of his team. I suppose how strict his team is remains to be seen.

I think he could refuse to play, but that wouldn't do him any good either in the long run

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he could refuse to play, but that wouldn't do him any good either in the long run

That's true. However knowing the Japanese people and culture I would imagine that would be unlikely but you never know I guess.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might send a message (which I'm for) but ultimately might leave us without a leadoff hitter thats worth a damn, that could shoot a hole right in the foot of any plans we have for next season quick

I'm with ya on this. Don't know why everyone is so panicky about getting Choo signed today.

This said, to me I'm all for overpaying him. We could use him so much in the LO position.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya on this. Don't know why everyone is so panicky about getting Choo signed today.

This said, to me I'm all for overpaying him. We could use him so much in the LO position.

I'm ok with an overpay in AAV but not in terms of years, I wouldn't go more than 6 no matter what

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with an overpay in AAV but not in terms of years, I wouldn't go more than 6 no matter what

That is my main beef as well and agree that we should not exceed 6 years either.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11:47am: Rakuten president Yozo Tachibana told reporters in Sendai today that Tanaka could still be posted, as they've yet to make a decision on the matter and discussions are ongoing, according to a report from Sponichi

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, don't know what happend. This is the correct "part 2" thread, the other...no idea

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say sign Cruz and go hard after Tanaka. Sure we would be missing a proven leadoff guy but to me leadoff can be over valued. I mean they only lead off the game once. Personally if it is in the budget to get both of these guys over just getting one, I say getting 2 players will have a better effect than one. If it is in the budget to only do one and this is just a pipe dream then Choo is the obvious choice.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say sign Cruz and go hard after Tanaka. Sure we would be missing a proven leadoff guy but to me leadoff can be over valued. I mean they only lead off the game once. Personally if it is in the budget to get both of these guys over just getting one, I say getting 2 players will have a better effect than one. If it is in the budget to only do one and this is just a pipe dream then Choo is the obvious choice.

Its not just the beginning of the game, he's a guy along with Andrus that will be getting on in front of Fielder, Beltre and whoever else

Leadoff hitters are not overvalued, they have been shown repeatedly to be just as important to the lineup as a cleanup hitter