• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:: 2014 NHL Draft Thread ::

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, here on Alex Tuch from mynhldraft.com it says this:

Alex Tuch has made leaps and bounds in terms of his development in his Draft year. A previous 101 point player in a 40 game season with the Syracuse Stars of the EmJHL, even as a 15-year-old he had a knack for scoring.

Though, he did have a bit of an advantage... seeing as he would have sized up at around 6'0-6'2. He is now a whopping 6'3.5" and 213lbs.

He controls his size exceedingly well, he skates with an edge and always reads the play seconds before it happens. He protects the puck like a fortress, there is no way anybody will be able to touch the puck or take it off his stick without being barreled over.

He is a very smart hockey player - dare I say genius? He has the NHL-level Ice-Q that scouts drool over. He makes miraculous passes in the slot, and knows exactly where his line-mates are and will be by the time the puck is off his stick.

He has a laser of a slapshot, and a quick, accurate wrister that he gets off mid-stride. He is always able to find the net below the blue line, and is even able to man the point on the powerplay. He is strong on the forecheck and leads the way by breaking through the defense using his sneakily swift strides. Or just plain, flat-out levelling those in his way.

For a player of his stature, you wouldn't expect a speedster. To no avail, Alex Tuch is no speedster, but he is an excellent skater for his size, and can jump into the play as well as any 5'10 dynamo. He has a very commanding stride which he uses to send puck-carriers flying.

He has, in fact, hands as smooth as butter and as quick as any other player in his class. He has worked on his hands mainly to make sure that he can protect the puck and deke around defenders.

He is one of the most mature players in the draft, he isn't looking to shine in the spotlight, but he wears his heart up on his sleeve for the team. He will get the job done anywhere and looks out for his teammates. Not to mention his personality as a leader and as someone who even coaches a youth hockey team, he is character personified.

This combination of skill, maturity, hockey IQ, hands, speed, patience, and size makes the Boston College-bound prospect one of the most complete players in this year's draft class - not to mention coveted by 30 teams in a league called the NHL.

He plays the power-forward role, but he will be much more than that. He plays the playmaker, he plays the sniper, he plays the agitator - he logs big minutes because his coaches trust him so much. He leads the way into battle, and when he gets on his horse... you don't want to be skating in his way.

Predicted draft position: 7 - 15.
He will not drop lower than that, unless teams see reason to pass him up. I see no reason he should drop lower than 15. The team that takes a chance on him will not be disappointed.

Comparisons:
1. Uniquely gifted forward who physically supports his line-mates: Jordan Staal.
2. Big, grueling leader who rips it up offensively: Joe Thornton.
3. Large, intelligent, two-way offensive juggernaut: Anze Kopitar.
4. Hard-hitting power-forward who can do it all: David Backes.
5. Leads by example, on and off the ice: Ryan Getzlaf.
Profile from: Curtis Joe - Apr. 8th

Playing out of the US National Program, Tuch is a big robust winger who wreaks havoc by using his strength and size to wear down opponents. He is a rising prospect after a strong first half to his draft season and scouts are beginning to fancy his pro potential. Success has come from his competitive nature and ability to compliment his line mates by playing true to his brand of hockey – winning puck battles and dominating possession.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Robby Fabbri, on mynhldraft.com he's projected at 16(last updated on Tuesday), I'm surprised he's that low, I would think he goes much higher than 16, but I think maybe the Flyers should trade up for him:

oo I like him a lot too.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, here on Alex Tuch from mynhldraft.com it says this:

dear jesus that's a glowing review haha. if that's really who he is, please draft him!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dear jesus that's a glowing review haha. if that's really who he is, please draft him!

If that's the case, I'd be fine with any of Alex Tuch, Dylan Larkin, Robby Fabbri or Sonny Milano

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to Rabbri. Don't care if he is a center.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First real time looking through prospects.. Pastrnak, ho sang, and Milano have my attention.

Seems like there is a lot of speed and offensive talent around where the flyers will be picking. Though a little undersized outside of tuch and larkin

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First real time looking through prospects.. Pastrnak, ho sang, and Milano have my attention.

Seems like there is a lot of speed and offensive talent around where the flyers will be picking. Though a little undersized outside of tuch and larkin

It's funny how in previous years the need was for d-men but now that they have some guys in the system that have a chance to be pretty good, now they're looking for skilled forwards - Flyers could use some skilled forwards now, eventually if you start getting more skilled forwards in the fold, they can start to weed out some of the 4th line types on this roster

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh, that's kinda crazy. also kinda crazy that 13 was the highest. I guess it makes sense though, these guys are 90% legs and at that age.. .

Its embarrassing when you cant do 1 pull up. Guess whichever team gets him will need to hire an extra strength and condition coach. :laugh3:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh, that's kinda crazy. also kinda crazy that 13 was the highest. I guess it makes sense though, these guys are 90% legs and at that age.. .

I meant to put this in the draft thread can you move it over.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to bet that the Flyers DO NOT stay at 17. IMO I think a couple of things may happen here. A trade will happen whether it's Vinny, Schenn, or possibly Coburn may come up again? I believe they have there guy picked out. Just a gut feeling. Make some room on roster for Laughton and perhaps a young dman.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to bet that the Flyers DO NOT stay at 17. IMO I think a couple of things may happen here. A trade will happen whether it's Vinny, Schenn, or possibly Coburn may come up again? I believe they have there guy picked out. Just a gut feeling. Make some room on roster for Laughton and perhaps a young dman.

I hope its Vinny and not Schenn unless he demands to much money.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope its Vinny and not Schenn unless he demands to much money.

I think that the Flyers will try to shop Vinny first. I think Schenn is safe, at least I hope so. Like what some others were saying here before, Schenn hasn't done a ton to get a huge raise. My only concern however, it seems like Schenn's agent and the Flyers have not had much contact?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the Flyers will try to shop Vinny first. I think Schenn is safe, at least I hope so. Like what some others were saying here before, Schenn hasn't done a ton to get a huge raise. My only concern however, it seems like Schenn's agent and the Flyers have not had much contact?

I think Brayden Schenn probably stays because as you said, he's not really in for a huge raise, so his value to this team is better in that sense

I think they're doing everything in their power to move Vinny, I don't think there's any way they can move up in the draft by moving Vinny in any way though - we'll see if Nashville really is interested in him, can't imagine getting much in return

This is where I think they could revisit moving Braydon Coburn - remember when Edmonton was willing to give up three second round picks for him? There might be some team needing defense and the Flyers might package their pick with him to move up, but I'm not sure that's worth it

I don't see how the Flyers are going to move up, in all honesty - and I think at 17 they can find a really good skilled player, some of the guys that might be available at that point(Dylan Larkin, Sonny Milano, Alex Tuch, etc) seem like good fits for the Flyers anyways

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the flyers will stay at 17. the hockey draft isn't nearly as fluid as say the NFL draft. teams don't trade up and back all that often. lots of trades go down, but it's not like '1st and a 3rd to move up 3 spots'.

they shouldn't move Coburn. they're already somewhat weak on defense and there's nobody that's going to replace Coburn anywhere near the flyers organization right now.

I think if they move vinny it will be for like a 3rd round pick and retaining some of his salary.

I say stand pat and draft at 17. skilled forwards that can skate seem to be in abundance at that spot and IMO that's what the flyers need most.