• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:: 2014 NHL Draft Thread ::

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine going after bobby Ryan, but I definitely wouldn't go more than Schenn and a 1st. Not even sure I would do that.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine going after bobby Ryan, but I definitely wouldn't go more than Schenn and a 1st. Not even sure I would do that.

Considering the Flyers seem to have so much success in the 1st round and not much after that, I'd be fine with Schenn and a 2nd.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last mock I saw had him going to the Flyers so maybe it could happen - I know some people want them to get a highly skilled winger since they lack that in the organization but we'll see what happens - there's always the possibility of trading up or trading down too - wouldn't be shocked if they package that pick with Brayden Schenn to get something bigger - as I'm typing I'm just thinking of this, maybe if you could move Brayden Schenn + some other piece + 1st rounder for Bobby Ryan with an extension in place, you could do something like that - Ottawa doesn't have their first rounder and I'm sure they'd like to get a first rounder back if they can - Bobby Ryan's not the fastest skater and I'm sure Chief would like more speed in his lineup but he would sure help playing with G and Jake, it'd give them a younger guy that can put the puck in the net

I really want Ryan, but I don't want to trade for him. I am becoming opposed to any big trades. If he wants to be here he'll come in free agency. As much as we'd like a sniper for Giroux I consider wingers to be complimentary.

Keep the assets.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want Ryan, but I don't want to trade for him. I am becoming opposed to any big trades. If he wants to be here he'll come in free agency. As much as we'd like a sniper for Giroux I consider wingers to be complimentary.

Keep the assets.

I'd keep the assets too but you never know what happens - and wingers might be complimentary but you better find the right ones

Hextall

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about a first rounder but I would love to see them go after one of the top ranked goalies like Thatcher Demko so maybe we can start cultivating some young net minders through the farm system.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about a first rounder but I would love to see them go after one of the top ranked goalies like Thatcher Demko so maybe we can start cultivating some young net minders through the farm system.

At the very least we would have some really good goalies and can trade one later on to get help in other areas

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I've been hoping for in the 3rd round. I know there are at least 5 goalies that will be going in the top 90 somewhere. Demko, Husso, Shestyorkin, Kahkonen, and Nedeljkovic.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

"...the mold of player -- big frame but a decent skater - that new general manager Ron Hextall said he will prioritize bringing into the organization."

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

"...the mold of player -- big frame but a decent skater - that new general manager Ron Hextall said he will prioritize bringing into the organization."

that makes me kinda nervous to be honest.. the flyers need some skaters i think

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Size should not be a priority. We aren't big and tough but if we want to address certain needs then I can think of some more glaring issues.

Who wants to bet that 6'7 Hunter Smith gets drafted by the Flyers? He is a winger that was eligible last year. That being said he was very young for last year's class and just started putting up points this year.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a bunch of small, skilled winger around our pick. I'd love Milano

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a bunch of small, skilled winger around our pick. I'd love Milano

I would too, seems like the type of skill the Flyers can still use

Last edited by a moderator:

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that makes me kinda nervous to be honest.. the flyers need some skaters i think

Agreed 100%! That was the old school way of thinking in the old NHL, not todays NHL, todays NHL is faster, more skilled, and overall more fluid game, the broad street bullies are a thing of the past as well as fighting, they gotta get away from this size thing and I blame Ed Snyder for it! With him as the owner & CEO they will not go another direction other then BIG, he still thinks it's the friggin 70's!!! Look at the teams in the finals, full of nothing but skilled players, no goons, no 7ft defencemen, no project players, and no superstars(except Gaborik) etc.

That being said about Gaborik, wouldn't it be the cherry on the top to see Gabby get a ring at his ex teams expense??? Could very well happen, only time will tell!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed 100%! That was the old school way of thinking in the old NHL, not todays NHL, todays NHL is faster, more skilled, and overall more fluid game, the broad street bullies are a thing of the past as well as fighting, they gotta get away from this size thing and I blame Ed Snyder for it! With him as the owner & CEO they will not go another direction other then BIG, he still thinks it's the friggin 70's!!! Look at the teams in the finals, full of nothing but skilled players, no goons, no 7ft defencemen, no project players, and no superstars(except Gaborik) etc.

That being said about Gaborik, wouldn't it be the cherry on the top to see Gabby get a ring at his ex teams expense??? Could very well happen, only time will tell!

Flyers can still be a physical team without building their team in the old school age - Kings have a perfect mix of players and other teams do too

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bruins seem to be doing fine with this size thing.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From one of many mock drafts:

17. Philadelphia - Alex Tuch (C/RW)

Big and skilled, Tuch is a finesse power forward who gives the Flyers depth on the wing. Playing with more intensity would round out his game- thankfully he has time on his side. Tuch was a member, along with Dylan Larkin on the US National Under 18 team this past season where he had 13 goals and 32 points in 26 contests.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From one of many mock drafts:

17. Philadelphia - Alex Tuch (C/RW)

Big and skilled, Tuch is a finesse power forward who gives the Flyers depth on the wing. Playing with more intensity would round out his game- thankfully he has time on his side. Tuch was a member, along with Dylan Larkin on the US National Under 18 team this past season where he had 13 goals and 32 points in 26 contests.

I really don't like either of those descriptors. At all. I hope for his sake people are writing better things about him. a power forward that isn't powerful and lacks intensity? really? (I don't know much about him)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like either of those descriptors. At all. I hope for his sake people are writing better things about him. a power forward that isn't powerful and lacks intensity? really? (I don't know much about him)

Agreed - that doesn't sound great - I like Dylan Larkin better:

Blessed with good wheels and engaging in a scrappy attack, Larkin forces the pace of the game to uncomfortable levels for opposing defenders. Playing in a north-south direction, Larkin battles hard and drives the net with a purpose bringing the same intensity shift after shift. At the next level, it appears he won’t be a top-line player but Larkin certainly projects as a two-way forward who can impact that game in all three zones.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Robby Fabbri, on mynhldraft.com he's projected at 16(last updated on Tuesday), I'm surprised he's that low, I would think he goes much higher than 16, but I think maybe the Flyers should trade up for him:

March 2014 - Robby Fabbri was named the OHL Player of the Month for February after leading the league in goals (11) and points (23) in 12 games. Fabbri has been flourishing this season and it won't be surprising to see him rise up draft boards as he prepares for the 2014 NHL Draft. DobberProspect scout Brendan Ross speaks highly on this dazzling young player, "Fabbri is an underrated player heading towards the draft. He owns top-end hockey sense and a sly ability to find soft spots on the ice quickly exposing defenses when the puck arrives. He's quick, elusive and owns some soft mitts."

February 2014 - Although his smallish frame might steer away some teams, Guelph Storm forward Robby Fabbri is a player who has shown extremely well. He’s got an innate ability to sneak into scoring areas uncontested and strike quickly. Fabbri displays great hands and hockey sense so productive numbers naturally follow him. His skating is top-end featuring quick first steps and elusive edgework, both elements that contribute to his success as an undersized player. Fabbri thinks the game at an advanced level, possesses a competitive attitude and if size wasn’t a consideration, he’d be considered a top 10 pick. Don’t be surprised to see him as a top player years from now as his potential is very high.
Profile from: Brendan Ross of Dobber Prospects - Mar. 7th