• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:: 2014 NHL Draft Thread ::

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good info awaz, haven't paid much attention to this year's prospects (probably know more about next year's class to be honest), gotta feeling my Pens will be thinking about the draft pretty soon as well.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers are going to be anywhere between 15-22 I'm guessing so it'll be interesting to see what is there when they draft

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers are going to be anywhere between 15-22 I'm guessing so it'll be interesting to see what is there when they draft

i thinkthe flyers will be picking 18th. i think playoff teams are sorted based on regular season standings and when they got out in the playoffs (ie, all teams eliminated in the first round are sorted by their regular season standings, then all the teams eliminated in the 2nd round, etc etc).

i certainly could be wrong though, that's why i didn't want to put it in the first post.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thinkthe flyers will be picking 18th. i think playoff teams are sorted based on regular season standings and when they got out in the playoffs (ie, all teams eliminated in the first round are sorted by their regular season standings, then all the teams eliminated in the 2nd round, etc etc).

i certainly could be wrong though, that's why i didn't want to put it in the first post.

the flyers pick 17th. forgot the devils pick 30th due to their cap circumvention penalty for the kovalchuk contract.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must say as much research we might do it really becomes hit or miss after the top 5. Did anyone think that Samuel Morin would be the 11th pick & that Robert Hagg would be available in the 2nd round? I certainly did not & no expert did either.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers pick 17th thanks to the Devils moving to 30th.

My guy changes every few days, but lately it has been Perlini. Big winger that can score. He'd have to fall a bit though. Somedays my guy is Roland McKeown, offensive defenseman from Kingston who is right handed.

As much as I'd like to really solidfy the defense with another defenseman, we need a winger in the worst way. The size seems to be more at the top of the draft (Regarding wingers) with Perlini, Virtanen, and Ritchie.

Please God no centers barring someone taking a massive fall.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im pulling for a winger in this draft.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im pulling for a winger in this draft.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think we need a LW honestly, we're pretty set on the right side and I'm almost certain Cousins is a RW too meaning I don't believe we have a good LW prospect in our pool. Plus that's the side the alway shift the C's to. If we do draft a W they need to be of the shoot first variety as well. I think we're pretty good on defensive prospects from now honestly, however if the defenseman is the best play available that's who we're getting.

I've always wondered what the Flyers would do if they got to the podium and the best player available in the first round was a goalie. It's a huge risk taking a goalie in the first round.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think we need a LW honestly, we're pretty set on the right side and I'm almost certain Cousins is a RW too meaning I don't believe we have a good LW prospect in our pool. Plus that's the side the alway shift the C's to. If we do draft a W they need to be of the shoot first variety as well. I think we're pretty good on defensive prospects from now honestly, however if the defenseman is the best play available that's who we're getting.

I've always wondered what the Flyers would do if they got to the podium and the best player available in the first round was a goalie. It's a huge risk taking a goalie in the first round.

agree w/ this.

and didn't they do the goalie thing with maxim oullette, or whatever his name was? (reasearch to come). i imagine they'd pass on the goalie if he was 'best available', and really i dont blame them.

edit: yep, they took oullette at 22 in 99. but to be honest, that was a real shitty draft looking at it. the sedins, ryan miller, ryan malone, henrik zetterberg, and martin havlat were really the only guys that rose above plug status. miller, malone, and zetterberg were taken after the first 3 rounds too.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today was a Honka day for me

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him a lot, even though we already have some d-men waiting in the wings, I guess you go with the best available player?

I'd say BPA to a certain extent. I'd be fine with going BPA on a center like Fabbri, a high skill guy, since he isn't something we already have. If the best player available is a Laughton clone then you've got to reach a bit.

I don't think Honka will be around when we pick though. A high offense RHD will have at least one team in love. But I can dream anyway :D

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say BPA to a certain extent. I'd be fine with going BPA on a center like Fabbri, a high skill guy, since he isn't something we already have. If the best player available is a Laughton clone then you've got to reach a bit.

I don't think Honka will be around when we pick though. A high offense RHD will have at least one team in love. But I can dream anyway :D

The last mock I saw had him going to the Flyers so maybe it could happen - I know some people want them to get a highly skilled winger since they lack that in the organization but we'll see what happens - there's always the possibility of trading up or trading down too - wouldn't be shocked if they package that pick with Brayden Schenn to get something bigger - as I'm typing I'm just thinking of this, maybe if you could move Brayden Schenn + some other piece + 1st rounder for Bobby Ryan with an extension in place, you could do something like that - Ottawa doesn't have their first rounder and I'm sure they'd like to get a first rounder back if they can - Bobby Ryan's not the fastest skater and I'm sure Chief would like more speed in his lineup but he would sure help playing with G and Jake, it'd give them a younger guy that can put the puck in the net