• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Chicago Cubs season thread

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck is with all the bickering between you two?

There's only 3 of us regulars on this board, let's try to lighten up a bit and not argue about little shit that we aren't even certain will or will not happen.

Sorry, I thought it was just him and I talking here over those few weeks.

My only argument is there is more than one way to build an organization and handle the pawns, I mean prospects. You have cant miss players that get shots. Machado, Braun, Longoria, Harper, Trout. They noticeably get their shots, probably from scouts and GM's, presidents of organizations that actually played the game. Rizzo got a shot, he failed, he still came here and had a great year, but then had a sophomore slump. They will not know what adjustments they need to make until they see Major league pitching. Baez slumped the first half of the year adjusting. Does keeping him in AAA mean he will not slump when getting the callup next May? Why not give him the opportunity to really experience the game in another wasted season.

All 750k-1 million fans that are not showing up this season cant all be wrong.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braun is a GREAT example! He was a college bat taken 5th overall that was very advanced. Right after signing he played in A ball. Then the next year he played in A+ and AA ball. Then his 3rd year he played in AAA for 34 games before getting promoted.

Longoria is another BRILLIANT comparison. He was a college bat taken 3rd overall. Right after signing he played A-, A+ and AA ball. His second season he played AA and AAA ball. His 3rd season he played in AAA just long enough to preserve the service time, 7 games, then got called up.

Kris Bryant is on that same path. Bryant's first year he played in RK, A- and A+ ball. His second year he has played AA and AAA. His 3rd year he'll play 10ish games in AAA before being promoted.

Kris Bryant is on the EXACT path of every college bat you give as examples. The others were all signed either out of high school or internationally so comparison is difficult. If Bryant had gone from high school to the minors he might have been up already, but he went to college and is on the same college fast track as Braun and Longoria. So what exactly is the issue?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Javier Baez has been called up

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't ask for a better place to start then in the friendly park of Coors Field.

Mariners.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it a twofer and bring up Soler as well

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micro, exactly the same thing I was thinking. No better place than Coors Field for Baez to start his career.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big day to be a Cubs fan.

Rizzo, Castro, Alcantara and now Baez. Line up is starting to take shape. Now just waiting to see when Soler and Bryant come up, and what they decide to do with Russell.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it a twofer and bring up Soler as well

Soler isn't far behind now. I'm still thinking September for him.

But I'm most excited for Bryant.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soler isn't far behind now. I'm still thinking September for him.

I am sure most everyone is on revocable waivers. Maybe Ruggs, Nate and Sweeney can go somewhere and open up a spot. Coughlan whoever is doing a nice job, Alcantara needs to play center exclusively now, still lost on that Valaika move, but with Kuji coming off the 60 day DL, a 40 man spot needs to be cleared.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you and me both. But I can't see them bringing him up this year. If they do, they potentially lose a full season of him all for a few meaningless games. Isn't worth it to me, no matter how much I'm itching to see him in the bigs.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure most everyone is on revocable waivers. Maybe Ruggs, Nate and Sweeney can go somewhere and open up a spot. Coughlan whoever is doing a nice job, Alcantara needs to play center exclusively now, still lost on that Valaika move, but with Kuji coming off the 60 day DL, a 40 man spot needs to be cleared.

I thought Watkins would get the call over Valaika.

I could see Ruggiano maybe moving to another team, and Sweeney has swung the bat better for the last week or so. Schierholtz won't be going anywhere, unfortunately.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you and me both. But I can't see them bringing him up this year. If they do, they potentially lose a full season of him all for a few meaningless games. Isn't worth it to me, no matter how much I'm itching to see him in the bigs.

I completely agree. I'm excited to see him, but I can gladly wait until next season. I'd rather him just finish up his season in AAA anyways.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't panic when Baez struggles his first month like he did at AA and AAA.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont panic, I was listening to the radio last night and the usual pain in the ass on 87.7 the game brought up the AAA managers comments of "Javy has become a better team mate". Said, Javy is a big fan of Javy, and it taken to be borderline arrogant instead of overly confident.

Brought up "Wheres the carrot" when players lose interest in AAA when they should be closer to getting to the show.

Like I said, these guys need to adjust, I really dont understand why people want them all struggling to adjust at the same time or are more concerned about paying them when they do perform. Bill Mueller can work with one at a time, Seems like Starlin is prepared to take Javy under his wing, thats showing maturity.

The cubs still have 8 or 9 series left with actual playoff contenders, it wont be wasted september at bats where the results are questioned as far as expanded rosters. If he struggles, he gets knocked down a notch. If he finally tastes that carrot, he will learn to adjust and become a major league ball player.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far the news is Javy is gonna wear #9. The mighty Steve Swishers uniform might be retired one day. No corresponding move to the 25 man or 40 man reported yet, I guess there will be a few days until Kuji officially is off the 60 day DL and needs to replace someone on the 40 man roster. Sounds like the cubs are hoping for a waiver trade over the DFA route.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could be planning on releasing Brett Jackson. He's 26 and is probably never going to be back in the majors. They could also DFA Valaika, who is just a stopgap utility guy. They have some options even if they can't work a trade out.