• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Flyers Game Summaries

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont look at it as giving the keys to mason look at it as getting rid of the worst starting goalie in the league by far and away and his 5 million dollar per year salary and then mason and any other goalie can split time in the nets and do just as well for half the money. If we cut Bryz how many teams you think will be willing to make him their starting goalie after the way he has played last season and this season.

gotta look at it as both though.. because if you dont replace bryz, you are giving the keys to mason, and all the pressures of being a goaltender in philly are on him.

and bryz hasn't been THAT bad this season.. he got worn out and started to deteriorate, but early in the season he was alright.. someone will sign him, maybe even to be a starter (not that there are many holes currently, i actually cant think of any off the top of my head).. nobody will give him that outrageous contract again, but nobody other than holmgren was going to give him that contract in the first place..

edit: just went through every team in my head.. the blues (halak/elliot) might need a goalie, and the avs (varlamov) might need a goalie.. possibly the coyotes if they dont resign smith. goalie market = barren. so it should be pretty easy to sign one of the free agent goalies to compete with mason. buyout bryz. but sweet christ, outside of giving emery like 4, there is no need to spend more than 2 mil on a goalie this summer, please notice that homer.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta look at it as both though.. because if you dont replace bryz, you are giving the keys to mason, and all the pressures of being a goaltender in philly are on him.

and bryz hasn't been THAT bad this season.. he got worn out and started to deteriorate, but early in the season he was alright.. someone will sign him, maybe even to be a starter (not that there are many holes currently, i actually cant think of any off the top of my head).. nobody will give him that outrageous contract again, but nobody other than holmgren was going to give him that contract in the first place..

edit: just went through every team in my head.. the blues (halak/elliot) might need a goalie, and the avs (varlamov) might need a goalie.. possibly the coyotes if they dont resign smith. goalie market = barren. so it should be pretty easy to sign one of the free agent goalies to compete with mason. buyout bryz. but sweet christ, outside of giving emery like 4, there is no need to spend more than 2 mil on a goalie this summer, please notice that homer.

I dont know if youve watched bryz the last 2 years but he has been absolutly terrible and is a running joke ,every announcer that calls the games other than Comcast literally makes fun of him on the air . If you look at it he wont be starting anywhere in the NHL anytime soon ESPECIALLY at 5 million. I would rather play Mason and another goalie at half the price. I can send you 10 articles like this and i dont see any articles saying he is a good goalie.

Dispensable Flyer: Ilya Bryzgalov must get his act together - NHL - Stu Hackel - SI.com

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im trying to understand where your coming from about keeping Bryz but i just cant see after the way he has played and his salary how we would be better off with Bryz on this team. you know what would be great if the players came out and either spoke up for him or blasted him that way we would know if they want him on the team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if youve watched bryz the last 2 years but he has been absolutly terrible and is a running joke ,every announcer that calls the games other than Comcast literally makes fun of him on the air . If you look at it he wont be starting anywhere in the NHL anytime soon ESPECIALLY at 5 million. I would rather play Mason and another goalie at half the price. I can send you 10 articles like this and i dont see any articles saying he is a good goalie.

Dispensable Flyer: Ilya Bryzgalov must get his act together - NHL - Stu Hackel - SI.com

Im trying to understand where your coming from about keeping Bryz but i just cant see after the way he has played and his salary how we would be better off with Bryz on this team. you know what would be great if the players came out and either spoke up for him or blasted him that way we would know if they want him on the team.

i'm barely defending bryz. i think he's gotten unfair treatment this season. last year he was a joke, but this year, until he played 28ish straight games, he was a passable starting goalie. not elite, but definitely not the joke he was last year.

besides, it has very little to do with bryz, it's all about mason. if mason is the starter next year, and the team gets off to a rough start, he will be blamed, and he will be ruined. we'll be another goalie down and we'll be looking for a new goalie by spring. if you cant/dont replace bryz with at least someone who is between a starter and a backup, to take some pressure off mason, it'll be a bad situation.

unless you can convince everyone in philly to be patient with mason (you cant), you have to 'trick' them in to thinking he's still the backup and bryz or whoever you bring in, is the starter. if the flyers were planning a goalie rebuild this summer, then absolutely, buy bryz out and start with 2 fresh goalies next year. but since mason has played well in his couple games so far, if you buy bryz out, mason will have to live with the expectations of being a starting goalie in philadelphia with a very small sample to build confidence on.

according to everything i've read, confidence was mason's issue in columbus. getting rid of bryz's cap hit isn't worth risking mason reverting back to what he was in columbus. especially when you can buy bryz out next summer to get out of his awful contract.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
essentially what i'm saying is, you have to have two NHL caliber goalies on the roster to succeed in the NHL these days. especially in philly where the fans turn on you almost instantaneously. i would absolutely support buying out bryz if they sign a capable goalie to tandem with mason, but i'm not ok with buying out bryz just for the sake of buying him out. next summer is the time to buy him out for the sake of buying him out.

and bryz is an NHL goalie. outside of march (where he was the best goalie in the league), he wasn't last year, but for most of this year he's been fine.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
essentially what i'm saying is, you have to have two NHL caliber goalies on the roster to succeed in the NHL these days. especially in philly where the fans turn on you almost instantaneously. i would absolutely support buying out bryz if they sign a capable goalie to tandem with mason, but i'm not ok with buying out bryz just for the sake of buying him out. next summer is the time to buy him out for the sake of buying him out.

and bryz is an NHL goalie. outside of march (where he was the best goalie in the league), he wasn't last year, but for most of this year he's been fine.

I agree we need to have 2 NHL caliber goalies on the team one is mason the other should be anyone not making close to 5 million per. Definately goalies NHL caliber goalies out there to be had either by trade or free agency that can play for us who dont make that much money.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say i havent missed Coburn.

i haven't missed any of the injured dmen to be honest.. it's just a shame it took them all getting hurt for the rest of the team to start playing defense..

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i haven't missed any of the injured dmen to be honest.. it's just a shame it took them all getting hurt for the rest of the team to start playing defense..

Manning looked good i wonder why it took them so long to get him some NHL time

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning looked good i wonder why it took them so long to get him some NHL time

i haven't followed all that closely, but he's apparently had an AWFUL season in the ahl.. got hurt early on and never really recovered. i wonder if his brief time in the NHL last season made the AHL look like a waste of time to him and he let off the gas

if there's one thing the flyers aren't hurtin for, it's bottom pair dmen.. manning, lauridsen, huskins, gervais, gustafsson, bourdon (if he's ever healthy), mesz (if he's ever healthy).. i wanna get a look at konan too, maybe he'll dress in a game before the season is out

just more reason i don't think the flyers should break the bank for a dman.. they've been using waiver claims and AHL bodies and it hasn't been bad.. just gotta focus on defense. and wouldn't you know it, they scored 11 goals in 2 games focusing on defense!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i haven't followed all that closely, but he's apparently had an AWFUL season in the ahl.. got hurt early on and never really recovered. i wonder if his brief time in the NHL last season made the AHL look like a waste of time to him and he let off the gas

if there's one thing the flyers aren't hurtin for, it's bottom pair dmen.. manning, lauridsen, huskins, gervais, gustafsson, bourdon (if he's ever healthy), mesz (if he's ever healthy).. i wanna get a look at konan too, maybe he'll dress in a game before the season is out

just more reason i don't think the flyers should break the bank for a dman.. they've been using waiver claims and AHL bodies and it hasn't been bad.. just gotta focus on defense. and wouldn't you know it, they scored 11 goals in 2 games focusing on defense!

Gust is playing well and may end up not being a bottom pair guy

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gust is playing well and may end up not being a bottom pair guy

he has been playing well.. just needs to show some consistency here before i'm ready to say he's anything more though.. dmen can take a long time to develop though so it's definitely not out of the question..

he's also playing with timonen who apparently makes everyone a top 4 dman.. schenn, gus, coburn, hell even ryan parent looked legit playing with timonen.. i'm fairly confident if i played with timonen i'd be at least an AHL caliber dman, and i can hardly skate.

i'd definitely like to see him stay with timonen for a while and try to become timonen. that'd be ultra useful. and schenn is showing he can anchor the 2nd pair, which is also useful.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this earlier in the day. I'm really liking Rosehill as our enforcer. Shitty is on his way out.

I saw that i commented that i didnt even know shitty was on the team still but, just because it was that dick Asham it was extra special

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:2cents:

thought i's put this up ,from this weekend.Does this sound like someone who gives a shit about his job?

With Steve Mason comes rest for Ilya Bryzgalov, but also uncertainty. Bryzgalov is just finishing the second season of his nine-year, $51 million contract, but could become a free agent after this season or next due to a clause in the league's new collective bargaining agreement allowing franchises to buy out two players for two-thirds of the remaining contract. He's a candidate, first and foremost, because the Flyers could have trouble next season getting under the salary cap, which is dropping from $70.2 million this season to $64.3 million in 2013-14. His thoughts? "To be honest, I don't care," he said. "Really, I don't care. I have no control on this, so why should I care?"

Courier Post

Yes,you do have some control-show that you just aren't here to collect a paycheck .

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:2cents:

thought i's put this up ,from this weekend.Does this sound like someone who gives a shit about his job?

With Steve Mason comes rest for Ilya Bryzgalov, but also uncertainty. Bryzgalov is just finishing the second season of his nine-year, $51 million contract, but could become a free agent after this season or next due to a clause in the league's new collective bargaining agreement allowing franchises to buy out two players for two-thirds of the remaining contract. He's a candidate, first and foremost, because the Flyers could have trouble next season getting under the salary cap, which is dropping from $70.2 million this season to $64.3 million in 2013-14. His thoughts? "To be honest, I don't care," he said. "Really, I don't care. I have no control on this, so why should I care?"

Courier Post

Yes,you do have some control-show that you just aren't here to collect a paycheck .

What a POS, Please god let him be cut this summer

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually do feel kinda bad for bryz.. dude cant say anything without getting torn apart. to me, he's just saying he has no control over whether or not the flyers choose to buy him out.. which at this point, he really doesn't. what's he going to do, pitch a shutout in his next 2 or 3 games to finish the season? is anyone going to be convinced by that? i highly doubt it. his bed has been made and he knows it.

probably could have worded it differently, but i'm not going to criticize him for saying it. we also don't know how the question was phrased, it would be foolish to assume the philly media didn't try to bait him in to saying something like that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually do feel kinda bad for bryz.. dude cant say anything without getting torn apart. to me, he's just saying he has no control over whether or not the flyers choose to buy him out.. which at this point, he really doesn't. what's he going to do, pitch a shutout in his next 2 or 3 games to finish the season? is anyone going to be convinced by that? i highly doubt it. his bed has been made and he knows it.

probably could have worded it differently, but i'm not going to criticize him for saying it. we also don't know how the question was phrased, it would be foolish to assume the philly media didn't try to bait him in to saying something like that.

:hellno:

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree

Let's be honest-it wouldn't matter if we had Lundqvist or Renne,etc.between the pipes,whoever it is gets scrutinized.the Flyers don't play a defensive system,that the Coyotes did,to make Bryz look good.

The only way to get Bryz any wins,and to make the fans happy would be for the Flyers to become like the old Edmonton Oilers and pump in 5 or more goals a night to save Fuhr-er Bryz's ass.

With that said,I still think he's gone.