• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Top 10 Forward Prospects

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Ranking the Flyers Top 10 Forward Prospects

The Flyers do not currently have any forwards in their system who are likely to have a major impact at the NHL level. That does not mean, however, that the cupboard is entirely bare. Here are the top-10 forward prospects in the organization:

1. Scott Laughton (C): The team's first-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft has added considerable muscle since the start of last summer and has begun to develop his offensive game in addition to his already advanced defensive abilities and grit. Laughton had a five-game stint in the NHL at the end of the lockout last season and could get a look with the big club again this year if he has a strong training camp. Although he is likely to play on the fourth line in his first NHL season or two, Laughton has definite top-nine upside and is no longer a huge stretch to say he could even eventually become a top-six player in an NHL lineup down the road.

2. Nick Cousins (C): A prolific playmaker in junior hockey, Cousins may not have a future on NHL scoring lines because he lacks both size and high-end speed. However, as he continues to improve his defensive play and refine his skating, he could evolve into an agitating top-nine forward at either center or wing. He will likely need at least one full AHL season before being ready to compete for a spot with the big club.

3. Tye McGinn (LW): The young power forward gave a solid accounting for himself in limited action with the big club last season. He is good at doing the dirty work along the boards and is willing to drop the gloves when necessary. He still needs to improve his skating and defensive play. McGinn has a decent knack for deflecting the puck and potting rebound goals but is not a natural goal-scorer.

4. Michael Raffl (LW): The 24-year-old Austrian rookie could compete for a spot with the big club at some point this season, or spend the year in the AHL. It all depends on how well he adapts to the smaller-rink game. Raffl is a good two-way player and was a top scorer in Swedish second-tier hockey this past season, but it remains to be seen if he has what it takes to produce offensively in the NHL. I personally see him more along the lines of ex-Flyer Mika Pyörälä -- who did fine defensively in his brief NHL stint but couldn't buy a goal -- rather than Damien Brunner.

5. Marcel Noebels (W): The German forward is another player at the minor league level of the Flyers system who needs some more work on his defensive play and especially his skating. But if he can improve in those areas and use his size with greater consistency, he could have an NHL career similar to that of ex-Flyer Ruslan Fedotenko, who was of similar size and skill set at the same age.

6. Jason Akeson (RW): I discussed Akeson in-depth in my May 8 blog. The odds are still against him becoming an NHL regular due to his lack of size, speed and average-at-best defensive play but he has made commendable strides in that direction. He earned his late-season callup and the support of Flyers' captain Claude Giroux for his NHL candidacy is something that could work in his favor if Akeson continues to improve in some of his areas of weakness.

7. Petr Straka (RW): The former Columbus second-round pick re-emerged as an NHL prospect this past season after a dominant offensive season in the QMJHL. Overage seasons should always be taken with a huge grain of salt -- by that point, players have physically become men playing against boys -- but there is no denying Straka's raw offensive gifts. He is probably going to have to score his way to an NHL role and then keep scoring to stay in the lineup at the top level. That can often be a tougher thing to do than finding other niches at the top level.

8. Kyle Flanagan (C/W): The undrafted free agent college standout appeared in 13 late-season game for the Phantoms after completing his collegiate career with St. Lawrence University. He produced seven points (one goal, six assists). The 5-foot-9 forward relies on his finesse and creativity but also has a little bit of chippiness in his game as well. The 24-year-old did not have the immediate pro impact that Matt Read did upon signing his first pro contract, but players like Read are the exception rather than the rule. Flanagan will get a full AHL season to show what he can do.

9. Taylor Leier (LW): The undersized but gritty and speedy two-way winger is coming off a strong season for WHL champion Portland despite early-season injuries and a concussion in the Memorial Cup. His pro role would likely be as a bottom-six winger who kills penalties and contributes on the forecheck and backcheck. Even so, Leier can score a few goals when opportunities present themselves.

10. Derek Mathers (RW): Mathers was arguably the most feared fighter in the OHL. Although his hockey skills are relatively modest, he is not a bad skater for a player of his big frame and has the potential to eventually evolve into a serviceable fourth-line player who can do other things in addition to dropping the gloves. He will play his first full AHL season in 2013-14.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list Jeff, I really hope Jason Akeson & Petr Straka make the NHL rosters, really like their game, and I think they're probably the most underrated Flyer prospects.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Ranking the Flyers Top 10 Forward Prospects

The Flyers do not currently have any forwards in their system who are likely to have a major impact at the NHL level. That does not mean, however, that the cupboard is entirely bare. Here are the top-10 forward prospects in the organization:

1. Scott Laughton (C): The team's first-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft has added considerable muscle since the start of last summer and has begun to develop his offensive game in addition to his already advanced defensive abilities and grit. Laughton had a five-game stint in the NHL at the end of the lockout last season and could get a look with the big club again this year if he has a strong training camp. Although he is likely to play on the fourth line in his first NHL season or two, Laughton has definite top-nine upside and is no longer a huge stretch to say he could even eventually become a top-six player in an NHL lineup down the road.

2. Nick Cousins (C): A prolific playmaker in junior hockey, Cousins may not have a future on NHL scoring lines because he lacks both size and high-end speed. However, as he continues to improve his defensive play and refine his skating, he could evolve into an agitating top-nine forward at either center or wing. He will likely need at least one full AHL season before being ready to compete for a spot with the big club.

3. Tye McGinn (LW): The young power forward gave a solid accounting for himself in limited action with the big club last season. He is good at doing the dirty work along the boards and is willing to drop the gloves when necessary. He still needs to improve his skating and defensive play. McGinn has a decent knack for deflecting the puck and potting rebound goals but is not a natural goal-scorer.

4. Michael Raffl (LW): The 24-year-old Austrian rookie could compete for a spot with the big club at some point this season, or spend the year in the AHL. It all depends on how well he adapts to the smaller-rink game. Raffl is a good two-way player and was a top scorer in Swedish second-tier hockey this past season, but it remains to be seen if he has what it takes to produce offensively in the NHL. I personally see him more along the lines of ex-Flyer Mika Pyörälä -- who did fine defensively in his brief NHL stint but couldn't buy a goal -- rather than Damien Brunner.

5. Marcel Noebels (W): The German forward is another player at the minor league level of the Flyers system who needs some more work on his defensive play and especially his skating. But if he can improve in those areas and use his size with greater consistency, he could have an NHL career similar to that of ex-Flyer Ruslan Fedotenko, who was of similar size and skill set at the same age.

6. Jason Akeson (RW): I discussed Akeson in-depth in my May 8 blog. The odds are still against him becoming an NHL regular due to his lack of size, speed and average-at-best defensive play but he has made commendable strides in that direction. He earned his late-season callup and the support of Flyers' captain Claude Giroux for his NHL candidacy is something that could work in his favor if Akeson continues to improve in some of his areas of weakness.

7. Petr Straka (RW): The former Columbus second-round pick re-emerged as an NHL prospect this past season after a dominant offensive season in the QMJHL. Overage seasons should always be taken with a huge grain of salt -- by that point, players have physically become men playing against boys -- but there is no denying Straka's raw offensive gifts. He is probably going to have to score his way to an NHL role and then keep scoring to stay in the lineup at the top level. That can often be a tougher thing to do than finding other niches at the top level.

8. Kyle Flanagan (C/W): The undrafted free agent college standout appeared in 13 late-season game for the Phantoms after completing his collegiate career with St. Lawrence University. He produced seven points (one goal, six assists). The 5-foot-9 forward relies on his finesse and creativity but also has a little bit of chippiness in his game as well. The 24-year-old did not have the immediate pro impact that Matt Read did upon signing his first pro contract, but players like Read are the exception rather than the rule. Flanagan will get a full AHL season to show what he can do.

9. Taylor Leier (LW): The undersized but gritty and speedy two-way winger is coming off a strong season for WHL champion Portland despite early-season injuries and a concussion in the Memorial Cup. His pro role would likely be as a bottom-six winger who kills penalties and contributes on the forecheck and backcheck. Even so, Leier can score a few goals when opportunities present themselves.

10. Derek Mathers (RW): Mathers was arguably the most feared fighter in the OHL. Although his hockey skills are relatively modest, he is not a bad skater for a player of his big frame and has the potential to eventually evolve into a serviceable fourth-line player who can do other things in addition to dropping the gloves. He will play his first full AHL season in 2013-14.

Its a shame there is no goalie among the top 10

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha!! Was going to say, "Drinking already?!?!"

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like everyone is really high on the development of Laughton. Looks like a Richards clone

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Noebels gets a call up to the Flyers at some point this season

Hextall

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
hmmm, no mention of Wellwood ? I thought he showed a lot of promise prior to getting injured, though I think how he bounces back will be the real measure of how good he can be.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm, no mention of Wellwood ? I thought he showed a lot of promise prior to getting injured, though I think how he bounces back will be the real measure of how good he can be.

i think there's a lot of concern about his injury.. it was a fully severed achilles tendon on a guy that's 95% speed, 5% hockey skill (strictly defensive).. if he can recover, i have no doubt he'd be ahead of a couple of guys on the list (mathers being a given)

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wellwood was struggling in the AHL last year even before the injury. Ben Holmstrom is another guy who will be trying to move back up the depth chart after a serious injury (ACL).

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wellwood was good when he played for the big club but didnt do so well in the minors. I like him a lot but we have better players than him so im not worried if he doesnt climb the charts this season

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about Jason Akeson? He's 24 years old, has good speed, & led the Adirondack Phantoms in goals & points last season. Always seems to go under the radar when discussing the Flyers' best prospects.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about Jason Akeson? He's 24 years old, has good speed, & led the Adirondack Phantoms in goals & points last season. Always seems to go under the radar when discussing the Flyers' best prospects.

from everything i've read and seen about him, he's got the offensive skill to be a legit scoring line NHL forward.. he's just ont he small side and doesn't have blazing speed to offset that.. and his defensive game leaves something to be desired.. he's apparently best friends with Giroux though, so that will definitely help.. i really want to see him crack the lineup, he was solid in his cup of tea last year.. just wonder about his durability as a smaller player

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see this as a make-or-break season for Akeson. If he continues to improve his speed and defense like he did over the course of last year, he has a shot to be a legit prospect and see some more quality time in the NHL. If he stagnates, well, he'll be nothing more than a career AHLer/emergency call-up.

He reminds me a bit of Mark Recchi-lite. Small, not the fastest guy, but finds a way to get it done offensively. Recchi was also a bit weak defensively early on, but showed steady improvement in that area.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wellwood was good when he played for the big club but didnt do so well in the minors. I like him a lot but we have better players than him so im not worried if he doesnt climb the charts this season

I fell in love with his speed but he could not score to save his life. I wonder how bad his injury will effect his game. If he loses a step he will not play another game in the NHL.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from everything i've read and seen about him, he's got the offensive skill to be a legit scoring line NHL forward.. he's just ont he small side and doesn't have blazing speed to offset that.. and his defensive game leaves something to be desired.. he's apparently best friends with Giroux though, so that will definitely help.. i really want to see him crack the lineup, he was solid in his cup of tea last year.. just wonder about his durability as a smaller player

I see this as a make-or-break season for Akeson. If he continues to improve his speed and defense like he did over the course of last year, he has a shot to be a legit prospect and see some more quality time in the NHL. If he stagnates, well, he'll be nothing more than a career AHLer/emergency call-up.

He reminds me a bit of Mark Recchi-lite. Small, not the fastest guy, but finds a way to get it done offensively. Recchi was also a bit weak defensively early on, but showed steady improvement in that area.

Yeah, seems like one of those guys who's got the skills but not the size. Kind of like Matt Ford a couple years back.