• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zunino for Price

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HELL NO. I hate these reports I'm reading. I really hope the team isn't considering this because it doesn't make any sense. It's just as stupid as sending over Walker.:lame:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOOOOOOOO

We do not need David Price.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as vehemently against this idea as you, but yeah, I'd want more than 2 years of Price for Zunino.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very strange to me that the Mariners are so infatuated with David Price. If the Mariners trade for Price it will be a trade r*pe in the Rays favor. Jack Z isn't smart enough to realize it.

The Rays will just sit back and let Jack Z squirm until he panics then trades them Walker, Zunino, Franklin and Felix, plus 7 players to be named later, cash, the Mariner Moose and Safeco field.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Zunino should almost be as untouchable as Walker. A young catcher that has progressed and picked up the game as fast as he has is rare. Im not saying he's the next Buster Posey or Yadier Molina but having a catcher with the potential Zunino has is rare. Besides if you trade Zunino who the heck is going to catch. Have you seen the catching market? Are we planning on bringing back Miguel Olivo or something. YUCK

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Zunino should almost be as untouchable as Walker. A young catcher that has progressed and picked up the game as fast as he has is rare. Im not saying he's the next Buster Posey or Yadier Molina but having a catcher with the potential Zunino has is rare. Besides if you trade Zunino who the heck is going to catch. Have you seen the catching market? Are we planning on bringing back Miguel Olivo or something. YUCK

Zunino, no, Walker would be the less of two evils...2 years of a proven MLB pitcher over a "prospect" that may or may not be great...yes

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'm not that big on David Price. 28 year old set to make 13 mil in arbitration and then a year after that he is set to be a free agent. And most likely it wouldn't even be just Zunino for Price straight up. It's probably going to be Zunino + 2 more prospects (Nick Franklin + pitcher?)

I would rather acquire Matt Kemp or Gioncarlo Stanton if we are going to give up some prospects. I feel like our rotation is set with our two aces. We just have to fill out the 3-4-5 with more consistent guys. Walker and Paxton can be those young arms at 4 and 5. For the 3 spot I would prefer to find a nice good veteran in free agency that can provide 3.60-4.00 era and eat up some innings.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'm not that big on David Price. 28 year old set to make 13 mil in arbitration and then a year after that he is set to be a free agent. And most likely it wouldn't even be just Zunino for Price straight up. It's probably going to be Zunino + 2 more prospects (Nick Franklin + pitcher?)

I would rather acquire Matt Kemp or Gioncarlo Stanton if we are going to give up some prospects. I feel like our rotation is set with our two aces. We just have to fill out the 3-4-5 with more consistent guys. Walker and Paxton can be those young arms at 4 and 5. For the 3 spot I would prefer to find a nice good veteran in free agency that can provide 3.60-4.00 era and eat up some innings.
Yep. Bartolo Colon comes to mind. That guy killed us last year and still has a nice inside cutting fastball.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Bartolo Colon comes to mind. That guy killed us last year and still has a nice inside cutting fastball.

Agreed. Not only by signing Colon you get that pitcher you need you also take away a potential signing from Oakland/Texas.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the M's could absorb a Walker trade much better than a Zunino trade from a positional depth standpoint. Walker has the potential to be an ace pitcher and would be a #1 on most teams if he met that potential, so losing him would still suck, but probably not as much as losing Zunino would suck just from a positional depth point of view. The starting rotation would certainly be better off with him in it (particularly long-term), but without him, we'd still have a pretty formidable rotation, assuming that Paxton isn't also traded (in a separate deal, of course) and lives up to the hype of the "Big Three" moniker that he, Walker and Hultzen earned in the minors. It wouldn't be as dynamic as a rotation with Felix, Iwakuma, Walker and Paxton in four of the five spots would be, but it'd still be pretty damn good.

The organizational catching depth is just not where it needs to be to entertain a Zunino deal unless such a deal brought back another highly touted catching prospect to replace him and even then you'd have to wonder what would make Zunino a more desirable prospect than the one you'd be getting back. If the prospect you'd be getting back was good, then you'd have to start thinking of a reason or reasons why the team you're dealing with would be so eager to part with that prospect to get Zunino. You'd be looking for red flags, wouldn't you? I think it would have to be a multi-team trade for it to work without having to wonder what's wrong with the catching prospect you got in return that made the team that gave him up want Zunino more.

A Walker + pieces trade for Stanton could be good depending on the pieces we'd have to give up. I wouldn't give up Seager as he's the best hitter we have outside of Cano. I wouldn't give up both Miller and Franklin because someone has to play shortstop and I don't want that to be Bloomquist full-time. I could part with Almonte or Romero if Stanton was the return, but the Marlins would probably want more than Walker + Miller or Franklin and Almonte or Romero for Stanton. Of course, whomever we pick up prior to a hypothetical Stanton trade could make giving up some of these guys easier to digest. I guess it would largely depend on that. The Marlins are sure to want a huge return for Stanton and I don't know if we have enough to willingly give them yet, even with Walker in the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope they don't make another desperation move and trade Zunino for Price.
I'd say screw Price, we don't necessary need him. I agree on taking a look at Colon.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to find a good catcher these days I would rather keep Zunino, Cole hamels was made available today I guess they want to unload his contract i wouldnt mind him at a cheaper price

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was reported that if Price was to be traded here he would not sign a long term extension with the team. If that is the case, then I say let him stay in Tampa. It isn't that I feel that a player has to be extended for the M's to make a play for him, but that if he doesn't want to be here, what are we really getting from the guy. Best case scenario is he is traded at the deadline in 2015.

"Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports spoke with Price's agent, Bo McKinnis, this morning at the Winter Meetings and was told that Price would not sign a long-term deal if he were traded to the Mariners. McKinnis told Rosenthal that Price would consider signing an extension with other clubs, but wouldn't disclose which clubs in which Price would have interest. Rosenthal stresses that this doesn't preclude the Mariners from acquiring Price anyway" Seattle Mariners Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an Article too that the phillies are shopping dominic brown, papelbon, and hamels it looks like they are trying to unload everything. I mean were looking for a #2 SP, OF, and some bullpen depth I think this is a perfect set up.....Philadelphia Phillies | MLB Baseball at CBSSports.com

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was reported that if Price was to be traded here he would not sign a long term extension with the team. If that is the case, then I say let him stay in Tampa. It isn't that I feel that a player has to be extended for the M's to make a play for him, but that if he doesn't want to be here, what are we really getting from the guy. Best case scenario is he is traded at the deadline in 2015.

Agreed. It does not make sense to give up some of our top prospects for what would be a rental with David Price. All of the guys we would have to give up for Price are not only top prospects but are all major league ready. I was hesitant at the idea of trading for Price even if we could extend him, but if we cannot extend him I think it is a bad move.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given what it would probably take to get him, if he's not willing to sign an extension to stay here, I don't see the point in trading for him. I don't know how serious any talks were about a Price deal, but I imagine that any deal for him involving either Walker or Zunino would have been contingent on him signing an extension here. Hopefully this either ends any talk of a trade for Price or significantly lowers the price to land him. The M's don't need expensive rent-a-players.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino would not stop me from trading for a legit MLB starter. Catchers are tough to come by, but how many catchers of the futures have we seen in Seattle? Christianson, Clement, Moore, Rob whats-his-face, and so on. Zunino is no guarantee. Just saying.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino would not stop me from trading for a legit MLB starter. Catchers are tough to come by, but how many catchers of the futures have we seen in Seattle? Christianson, Clement, Moore, Rob whats-his-face, and so on. Zunino is no guarantee. Just saying.

I know he's no guarantee, but you said it yourself... catchers are tough to come by and the M's have found that out the hard way since Wilson retired. I think we've gotta give Zunino more than half a year to find out if he can be the guy to break our string of bad luck and bad choices at the position. You seem to be approaching this like you expect Zunino to be another in a long line of failures at catcher. But what if he isn't? What if he really is the catcher of the future and we traded him (not to mention several other pieces, possibly including Miller) for a year and a half of David Price? Another #1 starter is a luxury, not a need, and the M's can't be dealing for luxuries right now, especially if it leaves them with more needs than they had before.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even though we have seen many "catchers of the future" in Seattle I still think Zunino should be off limits. The organizational depth at catcher is extremely poor for the Mariners while they a lot of depth at pitcher.