• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Texas Rangers are 2015 AL West Champions!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad comparison. Dez got more per year by signing the deal than he would have with the QO. If you read my post than I told you why I think this way. He can hit the FA market next year after making 16 million and sign a deal that takes him closer to what will be the end of his career.

I did read it and it doesn't make sense for him. You don't sign a one year deal at age 30 if you can know you can get more. If he takes the QO and gets hurt he is out 35+ million dollars. If he takes the 4 or 5 year deal and gets hurt he still gets paid.

There is no reason for him to take the QO. It offers no real benefit to him, and that's exactly why Texas is going to offer it. They wouldn't offer if it if they expected him to take it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did read it and it doesn't make sense for him. You don't sign a one year deal at age 30 if you can know you can get more. If he takes the QO and gets hurt he is out 35+ million dollars. If he takes the 4 or 5 year deal and gets hurt he still gets paid.

There is no reason for him to take the QO. It offers no real benefit to him, and that's exactly why Texas is going to offer it. They wouldn't offer if it if they expected him to take it.

I'm not sure he'll get a 5 year deal, but it's certainly going to be considerably better than our QO. IMO he would really be taking a huge risk by not taking a longer contract if offered, and I'm positive he'll get a very good offer.

If he doesn't get 3/4 years avg $15, I'd be surprised. So, we're back to why take our QO and run the risk of injury, or having a horrid season? Makes no sense to me.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' top moments

2015 Ranger feel good moments. A bit long but even shows Elvis stealing home and Odor slide. That was great

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he'll get a 5 year deal, but it's certainly going to be considerably better than our QO. IMO he would really be taking a huge risk by not taking a longer contract if offered, and I'm positive he'll get a very good offer.

If he doesn't get 3/4 years avg $15, I'd be surprised. So, we're back to why take our QO and run the risk of injury, or having a horrid season? Makes no sense to me.
Well it makes no sense to me either. Agree with you and Rev but on the other hand, why would anyone pay much for a 5.1 inning pitcher with so many others on the market? I would not.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it makes no sense to me either. Agree with you and Rev but on the other hand, why would anyone pay much for a 5.1 inning pitcher with so many others on the market? I would not.

You mean a guy with a sub 3.50 ERA in the AL who pitched 184.1 innings? There's enough value in that right there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you and Rev but on the other hand, why would anyone pay much for a 5.1 inning pitcher with so many others on the market? I would not

Like I said to you yesterday I long ago gave up on understanding value and worth in baseball. Just can't get my mind hands around all that.

But he has a terrific ERA just about every year. It's a real good selling point. Would I give him a lot of money? Absolutely not. But it happens every year, and a lot more than once. See the first sentence again. ha ha ha

The problem I had with him this year was as much team driven as him though. We had an entire staff of guys going 5.1, and this just beats your BP into submission at some point.

I didn't see romeo's post before I sent this one, but he's right about those innings and ERA.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said to you yesterday I long ago gave up on understanding value and worth in baseball. Just can't get my mind hands around all that.

But he has a terrific ERA just about every year. It's a real good selling point. Would I give him a lot of money? Absolutely not. But it happens every year, and a lot more than once. See the first sentence again. ha ha ha

The problem I had with him this year was as much team driven as him though. We had an entire staff of guys going 5.1, and this just beats your BP into submission at some point.

I didn't see romeo's post before I sent this one, but he's right about those innings and ERA.
Of course but that was not my point. What will be his era in 3/4 especially if he regresses during that time. Was he good for us? yes but looking down the road, he may avg less than 5.1 and maybe not. Would not risk it for my money.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo will most likely be a Dodger, because they will overpay him and thats just the way baseball works these days. Probably 3 years for 48 million w a team option or something along those lines

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably 3 years for 48 million w a team option or something along those lines

This sounds about right to me.

He's approaching 1500 innings for his career, so he should be able to fulfill this contract well enough.

Now do I want us to give him 3 at 48? Absolutely not. But some of that is personal. Every time he pitched he had me upset and most of the time is was during the 1st inning. ha ha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers begin the search for their sixth hitting instructor in the last eight years. Staff writer Evan Grant looks at some names being mentioned as possibilities:

Justin Mashore: The Triple-A Round Rock hitting instructor is highly regarded in the organization and helped Rougned Odor overcome an awful season-opening slump. He spent much of the last month of the season with the big league club. Banister stressed promoting from within last fall. Would be a favorite if Banister sticks to last season's trend.

Jason Giambi: The former DH was an ad hoc hitting instructor during his final seasons with Cleveland, works closely with Rangers prospect Joey Gallo in the offseason and is considered future managerial material with the big personality of a Clint Hurdle.

Michael Young: The Rangers' special assistant is universally respected inside the clubhouse and brings boundless positive energy, but passed on interviewing for the manager's job last year to spend time with his young family and isn't about to give that life up to be a hitting instructor.

Ivan Rodriguez: The Rangers Hall of Famer recently tweeted that he'd like to manage one day, but the lure of managing and the actual demands of being a big league coach/manager are two different things.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not TORP for sure, but if you have two very good starters Yovani is a great piece to have. Here's hoping he doesn't go anywhere in the division. If he heads back to the NL and joins a rotation that already has solid pieces then he well do really well.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds about right to me.

He's approaching 1500 innings for his career, so he should be able to fulfill this contract well enough.

Now do I want us to give him 3 at 48? Absolutely not. But some of that is personal. Every time he pitched he had me upset and most of the time is was during the 1st inning. ha ha
He was really frustrating. But he got the job done for the most part I guess. He also owned the Blue Jays this year which was hard for anyone to do. He reminded be of a right handed CJ Wilson. A good pitcher who would be infuriating to watch.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not TORP for sure, but if you have two very good starters Yovani is a great piece to have. Here's hoping he doesn't go anywhere in the division. If he heads back to the NL and joins a rotation that already has solid pieces then he well do really well.

This is what a said little earlier and it seems we're in the same neighborhood on him.

For him, he's a much better fit really in the NL, if for no other reason he swings a terrific bat for a pitcher.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys, I made an official off season thread. We can do all the needful there. Let's make it the most popular thread on the Hoop until spring training.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Mashore: The Triple-A Round Rock hitting instructor is highly regarded in the organization and helped Rougned Odor overcome an awful season-opening slump. He spent much of the last month of the season with the big league club. Banister stressed promoting from within last fall. Would be a favorite if Banister sticks to last season's trend.

The job he did with Odor was a difference maker with this team and it's success this year.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like KC is getting hot at the right time

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like KC is getting hot at the right time

Royals up 2-0. I hope they beat Toronto badly. I'm glad that asshole Bautista hasn't had a hit since the home run against us, I'm still hoping for an injury or at least no hits.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also never been 15.8 million with the amount of quality pitchers on the market.
I do think it is worth considering that no player has ever accepted it because in some cases the team didn't offer it when they thought the player would accept it.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his inability to go deeper into games is going to hurt his market value. I certainly wouldn't want him for anywhere near that qualifying offer annual basis on a long term deal. I wouldn't even pursue him for a multi year deal.