• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wizards 2013-2014 Regular Season

What number of wins do you expect from the upcoming weeks?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, on the road at Toronto... A 'W' would be nice, but I'm not optimistic.

Me either. Just put 600 vcash on Toronto. They're 3-0 against the Wiz this year with the closest margin of victory being 8 points so the games havent been that close.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm half expecting them to lose in Philly tonight after that amazing win, that would be a very DC sports thing to do.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lo and behold.. the Wiz did not hold true to form. They came to play on the night the 6ers retired Allen Iverson's jersey, with a huge contribution from Trevor Ariza (with 40 points) and John Wall (with 16 (!) assists.)

Holy fuxor, we're actually 3 games over .500.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tonight's game is still on?

D.C. Council Opening Statements: Grizzlies vs Wizards, Game 60 | Truth About It.net

Washington hosts the Memphis Grizzlies tonight in the nation’s capital. The Wizards are riding a season-high six-game winning streak and NBATV recognized them on Sunday as their “team of the week.” Even with the absence of Nene, the Wizards’ offense has been rolling, sparked by John Wall (who today was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week for the second time this season). Over the past three games, the All-Star point guard is averaging 25 points on 59 percent shooting and 10.7 assists per game. Trevor Ariza, coming off his career-high 40-point outing in Philly, has been scorching the nets. In his past four games, Ariza is 18-for-28 on 3-pointers (64%).

Memphis is playing solid ball as of late (7-3 record in their last 10 games), and pounded Cleveland on Friday night, 110-96. Both the Grizzlies and the Wizards possess almost identical offense and defense ratings. Washington’s defensive efficiency is 102.5 and offensive efficiency is 102.1, compared to Memphis’ 102.5 on defense and 102.6 on offense.

The last two meetings for Wall against the Grizz were showcases of extremes. Last season, Wall dropped his career-high 47 points in a win over Memphis at the Verizon Center. In their previous matchup in February, Wall was awful and got schooled by Memphis reserve guard Nick Calathes in a Wizards three-point loss.

A Monday snow storm has shut down D.C., but the Wizards public relations team confirmed that the game is still scheduled to be played at 7 p.m. Washington is the current holder of the NBA championship belt, so there is important, if not imaginary, bling on the line as well.

Zachary Thomas (@zacharytthomas), from the Memphis blog 3 Shades of Blue, joins me today to discuss the Grizzlies.

The Wiz and the Grizz in the Blizz…… Let it snow and LEGGGGOOOOO.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Miller has been a pleasant surprise!

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With how many games we're having that are so close, having Miller make a great pass here and there when he's on the floor could be a world of difference as we go down the stretch. :thumb:

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz beat the Jazz 104 - 91, with Ariza making 4 of 6 from 3 point range (and 26 of 40 for the past 6 games). Gooden playing for another 10 day contract and then some? He went 6-7 for 12 points.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost blew a 28 point lead to the Bucks - the OJ Mayo-less Bucks - but a win is a win is a win. 33-29. Bring on the Heatles.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost blew a 28 point lead to the Bucks - the OJ Mayo-less Bucks - but a win is a win is a win. 33-29. Bring on the Heatles.

Bring them on indeed! :suds:

This will be a real good test to guage where we are. Looking at the standings now... I really want us to get that 3 seed. Toronto's ahead of us by 3 games in the loss column (we've played a couple more games than they have) and I'm not lovin' the idea of playing the Bulls, especially if they eke out HCA against us if the standings were to stay as they are now by the end of the season. I'd much rather have a series against Brooklyn or Charlotte.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Ariza not-so-hot with 3 pointers tonight (1-7) while LeBron James made 3-4 early on. Wiz were pretty good tonight in erasing big leads courtesy of a couple of big runs but, alas alack, when it really mattered in crunch time, they weren't able to thwart Wade & LBJ.

Drew Gooden still putting in some good contribution, Webster off the bench looking pretty dependable, Miller with some assists.. we're getting there. Nice that we're deep enough that we don't always have to rely on Wall, Beal and Nene to carry us alone.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this is a pretty fair assessment, especially come playoff time.

Do the Wizards' third quarter struggles have a simple solution? - Bullets Forever

...Watching years' worth of bloody third quarters, it looks like the Wizards forget to focus on each possession when things start to become uncertain and instead look to impose their will on the narrative of the game. Like they try to blow it back open pressing in transition as opposing teams feast on the other end.

To put it simply: the Wiz need more chill. When things start to go wrong, value the possession and get back on defense. It's a staple of any playoff team that expects to go farther than the first round, though it's uncomfortable to even suggest because it seems so painfully obvious. But then again, until the Wizards stop third quarter trouble by applying the brakes and imposing their will in half-court situation the way a playoff team must, what else is there to point to?

In the end, I believe this team's best stretches hinge on the strength of its defense. Defense triggers transition, and in these rough moments, it may be that the players mistake the effect (transition) for the cause (defense). It's always a temptation with John Wall's premium speed to step on the gas, but if the Wizards nearly blow a 28 point lead to the Bucks, can they survive Chicago? Brooklyn? Toronto? Miami?

If this team hangs their hat on defense every night and takes transition as it comes, I expect some noise in the second round. If not? I wouldn't be surprised at a 4-1 first-round exit.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want us to get that 3 seed. Toronto's ahead of us by 3 games in the loss column (we've played a couple more games than they have) and I'm not lovin' the idea of playing the Bulls, especially if they eke out HCA against us if the standings were to stay as they are now by the end of the season. I'd much rather have a series against Brooklyn or Charlotte.

I dont think there's any chance of the 3 seed, Wiz just dont protect home court well enough. I'm scared they're gonna fall to the 7 or 8 seed and face Indy/Heat. Would that even be the worst thing in the world? I dont particularly love any of the matchups between the Raptors/Bulls/Nets/Bobcats.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think there's any chance of the 3 seed, Wiz just dont protect home court well enough. I'm scared they're gonna fall to the 7 or 8 seed and face Indy/Heat. Would that even be the worst thing in the world? I dont particularly love any of the matchups between the Raptors/Bulls/Nets/Bobcats.

I think proof positive of that just happened last night. Lost at home to the darkhorse Bobcats? (Especially being outscored by 10 points in the 4th quarter?)

You can't breathe a sigh of relief with this team until the final buzzer sounds.

Brooklyn looks to be getting hot at the right time and, except for a matchup @ the Heat, home vs the Rockets, and home versus the Timberwolves, the rest of their schedule looks pretty soft. (Although playing the crosstown Knicks is a crapshoot.. NY might actually get up for those games).

Charlotte's schedule looks about the same. Chicago's looks marginally tougher. And Toronto's schedule looks even tougher than Chicago's. (They still have home games versus Memphis, Phoenix, OKC, Houston & Indiana and away games at Atlanta and Miami)

We're the only one that seems to have a major west coast trip left and while I think we can compete, we gotta come away with some wins @ Sac, Portland, LA Lakers, & Denver. While I commend Charlotte for bouncing back this season from the ranks of the bottom-feeders, this is a win at home we should have had.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beal's hurt. Couldnt walk off the court. RIP 2013-2014 Wizards. Had a good run.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: