• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Russell Wilson be a Starting QB anywhere next Year?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I didnt think about because I was focused on the pre March thing.

Based on Over the Cap's contract calculator, a pre–June 1 trade would leave the club with $68 million against the 2024 salary cap. A post–June 1 trade would make things more palatable, but Denver would still carry $18.4 million of dead money.

cap hit would only be 18.4 mil. if post june trade.
but that is a moot point, because they would have to have a trade in principle to risk paying the guaranteed money & we all pretty much know with a no trade clause Russ isnt gonna play ball.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I didnt think about because I was focused on the pre March thing.

Based on Over the Cap's contract calculator, a pre–June 1 trade would leave the club with $68 million against the 2024 salary cap. A post–June 1 trade would make things more palatable, but Denver would still carry $18.4 million of dead money.

cap hit would only be 18.4 mil. if post june trade.
but that is a moot point, because they would have to have a trade in principle to risk paying the guaranteed money & we all pretty much know with a no trade clause Russ isnt gonna play ball.
Won't a post June trade guarantee his 2025 salary?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't a post June trade guarantee his 2025 salary?
yes
that would be the risk & why they would have to already have an agreement in place for all involved, if they went that route.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense.
You are not gonna pay a player to play against you. That would be double dipping. As long as the player is getting his promised guaranteed money.
If Denver trades Wilson, they will likely need to pick up a significant portion of Wilson’s salary to make the deal. That’s quite common.

That said, Denver would likely not trade him to an AFC west team. They would not want to face him twice a season.

Denver has really only two options. One is to keep Wilson and try to repair the relationship. At this point that seems unlikely.

The second option is to place him on waivers and take the dead cap hit. Chances are he would clear waivers and be free to negotiate with any team.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of agreement you talking about?
say hypothetically, the broncos, the new team & Russ all agreed to make the trade post june before the March deadline. whatever type of deal between the three I have no idea. Same contract, new contract whatever that bring Russ to the table. Since he would hold all the cards.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say hypothetically, the broncos, the new team & Russ all agreed to make the trade post june before the March deadline. whatever type of deal between the three I have no idea. Same contract, new contract whatever that bring Russ to the table. Since he would hold all the cards.
Well Russ has no incentive to make any deal that shorts him on guaranteed money.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Denver trades Wilson, they will likely need to pick up a significant portion of Wilson’s salary to make the deal. That’s quite common.

That said, Denver would likely not trade him to an AFC west team. They would not want to face him twice a season.

Denver has really only two options. One is to keep Wilson and try to repair the relationship. At this point that seems unlikely.

The second option is to place him on waivers and take the dead cap hit. Chances are he would clear waivers and be free to negotiate with any team.
I doubt Russ gets traded.
but if he does. I assume there would be a whole entire new deal with the new team in place when the trade goes through. To russ' liking.

The no trade clause is a powerful thing.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
…. I'm confident that most die-hard Broncos fans don't share your perspective.
Of course they don’t. They are rabid fans and can’t view this with any objectivity. I lived in the area fir six years. I know how the Broncos fan base thinks.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Russ has no incentive to make any deal that shorts him on guaranteed money.
absolutely.
but if they found a team to give him big money again.
that money would counter the 2024 money that is owed from the broncos. Saving the broncos 39 mil.
So that helps the broncos
Russ would get even more money. That helps Russ.
The new team gets Russ. That allegedly helps the new team.

the 3rd part would be the hard part to find. A team with the capital & wants to spend it on Russ.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just stated the league minimum salary for a player with Wilson’s tenure. If released by the Broncos, he’s not going to elsewhere for the league minimum.
How are you not understanding this?

If he signs for the league minimum, the Broncos owe him the full amount, if he signs the full amount, the Broncos owe him the league minimum, and anywhere in between.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they don’t. They are rabid fans and can’t view this with any objectivity. I lived in the area fir six years. I know how the Broncos fan base thinks.

My comment was eluding to the fact that Broncos fans understand and follow the team more closely than those who aren't fans. They've directly witnessed the underwhelming product that Wilson has put on the field. He's had his moments but he hasn't come close to living up to the massive contract that they signed him to. Clearly, that contract is on the Broncos and not Wilson's fault. We understand that the team is going to be in salary cap hell for the next two years, since it appears that they're headed for a full release. However and as painful as that is, most believe it's the right thing to do at this point.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Russ gets traded.
but if he does. I assume there would be a whole entire new deal with the new team in place when the trade goes through. To russ' liking.

The no trade clause is a powerful thing.
I too doubt he gets traded. His current contract would go with him.

I’m pretty sure the gaining team would require the Broncos to pick up a significant portion of his compensation for the duration of his current contract.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment was eluding to the fact that Broncos fans understand and follow the team more closely than those who aren't fans. They've directly witnessed the underwhelming product that Wilson has put on the field. He's had his moments but he hasn't come close to living up to the massive contract that they signed him to. Clearly, that contract is on the Broncos and not Wilson's fault. We understand that the team is going to be in salary cap hell for the next two years, since it appears that they're headed for a full release. However and as painful as that is, most believe it's the right thing to do at this point.
it is the quicker way to right the ship (if decisions are done right)

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They know nothing more than a fan who follows the NFL. They are fans and lack objectivity.

Everyone other than a rabid Broncos fan knew that paying Wilson a quarter of a billion dollars was going to result in sacrificing critical talent elsewhere.

Denver has done a horrible job in the area of selecting a head coach lately. I put most of that on Elway. He’s a poor administrator.