• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why didn't we pick up Trent Richardson?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ ROB BASE... curious, why would we do that?

Contract year, assuming 3 rookie QB's coming out, new rookie pay scale, newer regime loaded with ammo to move up etc..etc..etc...Bradford has drifted along the bottom the QB ranks since his rookie year, and IMO he is not really improving. He continues to make bad plays (two pick sixes in to weeks trying to dump off to the RB for example) and look lost against the rush. I'm not calling him a bust, but he's shown no "it" factor or "wow" factor. He's literally been dumping off passes since he got to St. Louis. If you guys fail to make the post season and/or Bradford continues to look average out there, I think the Rams let Bradford walk and get their QB of the future. He simply hasn't shown he is worth another 4-5 year investment, and the timing is right for you guys. Tons of talent coming out at the QB position and you guys have all the ammo needed to get one of them.

Just my 2 cents after watching the Rams closely for a long time.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely. But some Rams fans think Sam is the golden child and make up excuses why things are NEVER his fault.

I like your assessment and if he does not improve this year, we simply cannot afford an average QB with that salary.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RobBase, I think you have encapsulated what SJ76 has been stating all along and this may be the year that determines whether he stays or goes. In 3 years, Bradford has not done much due in part to alot of reason which we have chronicled ad nauseum here on the Ramspages.

Now, the Rams got Bradford a pretty good left tackle and a solid O-line, they got him some weapons, they kept the O-coordinator, and now he has little excuse to provide for his less than stellar play. And if it continues, I believe he will be sent packing for a replacement in the draft.

SJ76. Here is what boggles the mind. Cleveland was looking for running backs and offensive weapons. The Rams could have easily presented Cleveland with a package deal of say Pead, Quick, and a second rounder or even Pead, Richardson, Quick, and a second for Trent and we would still be ahead. But they did nothing. Sometimes I think that even Snead is not quite all there.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, 17 games as a Brown confirms this? You left out 12 TDs and 50 receptions, btw, on that struggling team. He should be a more valuable cog on the Colts, as he won't be consistently facing 8 man fronts.
Richardson 267 / 950. avg 3.56
Ventrone 1 / 35
All other Browns 128 / 608 avg 4.75

On an even worse Jaguars offense:
Jones-Drew 86 / 414 avg 4.81 (6 games)

Browns PFF OL ratings:
LT Thomas 5th out of 62 starters
LG Greco 20th out of 62 starters
C Mack 9th of 32 starters
RG Pinkston 32nd out of 62 starters
RT Schwartz 21st out of 62 starters

PFF did not rate Richardson as a top 20 RB.

Lots of people love Richardson...which is fine. I'm not 1 of them.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blah blah blah.

12 TD's in his rookie year versus 8 man fronts and many of those were with broken ribs. Tied for 5th. Had the same yards as Reggie Bush and more the SJAX last year. Again, He played for Cleveland and Brandon Weeden was his QB. lol

You geeks that have never played football crack me up. And you'll bend them just how you like, to make your point.

try to keep it real will ya? Trent is a tough SOB. You need to start watching these guys in college. 1 year with the shitty Browns doesn't qualify to judge on this beast of an RB.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Browns weren't shopping Richardson, instead the Colts went looking after they lost Ballard for the year. If that's the case, Snead probably heard about it the same time we did. It took everyone by surprise. I'm pro Richardson, this is the guy that broke Jim Brown's single season rookie rushing record in Cleveland after 60 years, and is a decent pass blocker and versatile in the passing game.

But it wasn't going to be us because we can't afford him. Yes, a lot of that went to Bradford, but we've been paying big contracts to free agents for a while now - look at Cook and Finnegan. The front office has turned around the 'no one will go to the Rams' that was a strong factor due to years of incompetence, but the combination of that and the Bradford situation means we aren't going to be in the running this year for any dramatic changes.

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, it only took two games before posters started pantshatting about Bradford. Our qb is not the issue this season. Sam had played very well so far and is paying like a former #1 pick should. he's on pace for 40tds and 5200 yards, but he sucks right?:L

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you blame Bradford for the financial situation? Fisher and Snead had the opportunity to trade Bradford to the Browns and turned them down. If Bradford's contract was the problem, (which it isn't), then blame those 2.

While i'm at it justify $24M/2 years of Finnegan, $21M/3 years for a TE/slot WR , $20M/2 years for a LT coming off surgery who finished the last 2 years on IR, $14M/2 years of Wells & $4M on Dahl because we didn't spend a top 3 round pick on an OL in 2 years. None of those decisions were sound. Nor was blowing 4 top 3 round picks on WRs. Those picks didn't even get us our best WR. A 2nd round pick for Pead? This is why we have McLeod starting for us at FS, no RBs and no room for manoeuvre. Responsibility for our personnel and the financial situation lies with Fisher and Snead.

The Rams have an option on Bradford for $14M next year and $13M in 2015. Only $3M of that is guaranteed. If he doesn't look like a $10M QB i'll have ZERO problem with the Rams cutting him loose if they can't trade him. I thought he was poor in 2011 and mediocre in 2012. For the most part this year he's impressed me.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pead wasn't a major reach - he had a 2nd-3rd round grade from most sources. His combine numbers were good, he was explosive and shifty. I have to wonder if his drug suspension has more to do with his subpar play than anything else. Yes, he got a late start, but he should have been able to work his way into the rotation by the mid point of the year.

Quick was the one that seemed way to early - you could have gotten him later, but the Rams coaches fell in love with him.

Both of these guys have the athletic talent to play major roles - they just need to be able to learn the system to the point its instinctive. We'll see if either makes it.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys lets not be mad at the Rams for not getting Richardson. Fact is we can't afford him because our QB is getting paid under the old CBA, which is not sams fault. So, Lets look at the Browns and what a joke their organization is.

They gave up the Farm to go get T. Rich......now they trade a proven commodity for one unproven 1st round pick. Stupid stupid stupid.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely. But some Rams fans think Sam is the golden child and make up excuses why things are NEVER his fault.

I like your assessment and if he does not improve this year, we simply cannot afford an average QB with that salary.
If there's a 'better option" available to us for less $$ out there at QB, than maybe we take the cap space, maybe. It all depends on comparative upside moving forward.

Until then, just because we may not like the cap situation, dissecting minor BS on plays and making up shit to backup our arguments wont go unchecked.

Find something substantial, that a guy is responsible for, so I may agree with some of the negative takes with any and all on this roster.

Anyone who wants to know why we are strapped for cash, see below.

:whistle:

The Rams are paying Corky the wonder QB
drool5.gif
$50 million +

For instance, it's really these three who are responsible for 'strapping' the Rams for cash with Cortland Finnegan as our biggest cap hit 2013 ($15 M), then Sam Bradford ($12.595 M) and James Laurinaitis ($12.4 M). To add perspective of the top 10 cap hits in 2013 the top 5 were QB's, followed by 2 DE's, and of the last 3 top ten cap hits 2 were CB's and 1 was an LB. Cortland made the top 10 list and of course, Sam and James did not. This demonstrates the value the NFL has on QB's. Oh and that QB sitting high a top at No. 1 for 2013 cap hits ($20.85 M) is currently ranked No. 25 by QBR.

IMO no one is immune to accurate criticism on this roster but lets not let our emotions cloud the facts and if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about see below. :whistle:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This confirms your stupidity. Cleveland had nothing on offense besides Trent.

Don't look now... but somebody's making one of those pesky "it's never his fault" arguments. ;)

Pending an intense, Jake Long-esque series of physicals and considering we have two of them, I'd probably take a flyer on Richardson for a first rounder. If we only had one... no. I wouldn't do it. I've watched (because the Brownies are on every week here) probably 90% of his snaps in Cleveland He was pretty decent. So far, he hasn't nearly lived up to the kind of hype he generated on draft day. But, the Browns aren't all that great of a launching pad. The Browns had one of the better offensive lines in the league last year, but injuries and no passing threat to keep defenses off his back kept his numbers low. If he can stay on the field, I think he'll thrive in Indy.

Everyone here in northeast Ohio is lining up to jump off the Terminal Tower. Rumors of locker room dissent and poor attitude are floating around like pollen and I've never heard the word "cancer" uttered outside of the Cleveland Clinic, more than I have over the last 12 hours. My problem isn't with the trade itself. There had to be some reason for it. My problem is what they got in return. Surely Browns GM, Mike Lombardi could have gotten more than a (projected) high 20s draft pick from a team as RB deficient as Indy.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contract year, assuming 3 rookie QB's coming out, new rookie pay scale, newer regime loaded with ammo to move up etc..etc..etc...Bradford has drifted along the bottom the QB ranks since his rookie year, and IMO he is not really improving. He continues to make bad plays (two pick sixes in to weeks trying to dump off to the RB for example) and look lost against the rush. I'm not calling him a bust, but he's shown no "it" factor or "wow" factor. He's literally been dumping off passes since he got to St. Louis. If you guys fail to make the post season and/or Bradford continues to look average out there, I think the Rams let Bradford walk and get their QB of the future. He simply hasn't shown he is worth another 4-5 year investment, and the timing is right for you guys. Tons of talent coming out at the QB position and you guys have all the ammo needed to get one of them.

1) Bradford is better now than his rookie year and has improved every year save the Josh McDaniels injury plagued year.

2) He looks lost against the rush but hasn't been sacked this year? Wut?

3) Average is good enough at QB unless we get a real chance at a stud QB

4) We won't get a real chance at a stud QB because the worst 2-3 teams will all draft them instead of trading down.

This is maybe the 10th post Ive seen of yours with your Bradford prediction. Its not realistic unless he completely implodes. We will draft a QB next year (who is our backup again?) as an insurance policy but I think trading up for one is almost completely off the table unless the Rams end up going 3-13 or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off next year will be a make or break season for Sam. I know the sample size is small but so far he's on pace for 5000+ yards, 32-36 TD's, with 10-15 INTS which is pretty flipping good. Right now he ranks among the top QB's in the league. I don't know how you can call that bottom of the barrel. Sure it's early I'll give you that but he looks much improved. You also have to realize that he has been surrounded by a team that quiet frankly suuuucked. Guess how many players are on the Rams that were drafted in 2010'? Guess how many of those players are still playing in the league....Almost none homie. His rookie season he got OROY (total bust) we'll call his 2nd year a bust for many reasons, CBA, Josh McDumps, Spags, and him getting hurt (bust), 3rd year got back on track had his best year (bust), and this year he looks to be even more improved (bust). I'll also put one of those pick 6's on him not both tho. I'm honestly confused on where you're pulling your opinion from??? Is this Laaaaaaaaaaarry?

Last edited by a moderator:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson is a beast...pure and simple. He is what SJ39 was 8 years ago. I, for one, would have given up one of the 1sts next year to get him....hell, I might have even sent Saffold there to make the money work...

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah our RB situation is not great but Trent Richardson would have made a big difference. I do believe all of our current RBs on the roster are nothing more than a stop gaps until we find that RB. We lucked out with Jackson because we had that smooth transition between Faulk and Jackson. We don't have that luxury right now and it will bite us in the rear down the stretch.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because he wasn't offered to us....Ever think about that?

Actually from what I heard on ESPN radio he was only offered to the Colts and they took it. It appears the Browns didn't offer him to any other team.:noidea: