• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do with the #1 pick. Draft thoughts

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think Poles wants to trade down. Only way this doesn't happen is, if internally the organization does not believe in Justin Fields. But my money is we will trade down (likely to the Colts). I would hate to trade down beyond the 5th pick. Whatever happens though, Poles better bring in a HAUL of picks. Another scary thought is, if we trade down and pass on Bryce Young and he turns into a stud. We would forever be the organization that passed up Bryce Young and Patrick Mahomes.

If we don't trade down. We have to draft Carter or Anderson. If we draft neither, Poles needs to be fired immediately. He already screwed up monumentally trading our 2nd for Claypool.

Admittedly I don't know much about Bryce Young. Is it possible he is being overvalued and Houston and some of the other teams needing a QB will pass on him and take Carter or Anderson?

If i had a choice these would be my pie in the sky best case scenarios:
* Trade down and still draft Carter or Anderson and have a shit ton of extra picks. If history is any indication however Poles sucks at trading.
* Draft Carter or Anderson
* Draft Bryce Young and trade Justin Fields. This tells me they do not believe in Justin Fields and are very high on Young. I can accept this scenario if that's the case

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whole "organization that passed up Bryce Young and Patrick Mahomes" is exaggerated.

Yes, we'll never live down Mahomes. It is what it is.

But if we go trade down and get bunch of non-QB players this offseason to build around Fields, nobody will question why we didn't pick Young (or whatever QB) because he has showed us promise this season. Most franchises would do the same thing in our position so it's hard for armchair fans/mediots/whoever to really argue, except for trolls....and it's pointless to argue with those people because they're on a mission that will not be derailed by facts/situation.

If our coaches/management honestly don't believe in Fields, then trade him for a decent haul and take the top QB with the 1. Somebody will pay handsomely for Fields if we really aren't that convinced. I would be absolutely shocked if that happened though.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our coaches/management honestly don't believe in Fields, then trade him for a decent haul and take the top QB with the 1. Somebody will pay handsomely for Fields if we really aren't that convinced. I would be absolutely shocked if that happened though.

It would be pretty damn exciting if this happened though. And pushes the clock back on having to pay a QB top dollars (if of course Young is the guy).

Fields is hardly a lock at being a good passer in this league. Only thing he's proven is that he may be the best running QB ever. And maybe that's good enough.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be pretty damn exciting if this happened though. And pushes the clock back on having to pay a QB top dollars (if of course Young is the guy).

Fields is hardly a lock at being a good passer in this league. Only thing he's proven is that he may be the best running QB ever. And maybe that's good enough.

Sh*t...I mean you're right about the "exciting." It would be absolutely crazy if we traded Fields. There would be two sides with no middling ground. The arguing would be kind of glorious.. I mean...I'm kind of in just for the insanity that would follow. This is entertainment after all.

Then again, if we did that and then watched Justin Fields win it all with another team and whatever direction we went didn't pan out, that would actually be worse than Trubisky/Mahomes imo. Talk about something we'd never live down. I'd be on my deathbed crying about it.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option could be a trade down with a player added to the mix, like an Adams with a Vegas if they move away from Carr by picking up another QB... I've seen some discussion about something like this on other forums.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down and still draft Carter or Anderson and have a shit ton of extra picks.

If Poles can pull this off that would be f'n amazing. I don't see it happening realistically but it would be awesome.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Poles can pull this off that would be f'n amazing. I don't see it happening realistically but it would be awesome.

Pretty much Colts or Texans is the only path to this that I see.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts Jim Irsay is a nut. If he likes Young he will do whatever it takes to get Young. I wouldn’t be surprised if losing to the Texans is exactly what Irsay wanted to get a shot at Young from us. Poles better not screw this up. He needs to be very strategic here which he hasn’t shown yet.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited by this offseason with the money there is to spend plus the draft.

But it also screams of an overwhelming situation that a young GM can easily screw up.

Poles can't attempt to fix every problem in one offseason. If he does he's gonna overspend in FA and make a lot of mistakes.

He showed a lot of patience last offseason...he needs to do the same thing again and pick his spots at being aggressive. Being able to add more picks while still coming away with one the top defensive players on the board would be a huge win especially if Poles has a good free agency spree.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
76vro4.jpg

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He showed a lot of patience last offseason...he needs to do the same thing again and pick his spots at being aggressive. Being able to add more picks while still coming away with one the top defensive players on the board would be a huge win especially if Poles has a good free agency spree.

Was it patience or apprehension with him being new to the job? So far, I'm guessing Poles is a terrible poker player.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi. Long time listener and first time caller.....

There is a bit of a buyer beware on Carter. Questioning heart and movation.

But I'd take him if I were you guys.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi. Long time listener and first time caller.....

There is a bit of a buyer beware on Carter. Questioning heart and movation.

But I'd take him if I were you guys.

I've heard this too. Carter has 6 sacks in 2 years. Not sure about other stats on him.
Similar question marks on Anderson.
And Bryce Young supposedly isn't as highly rated as Trevor Lawrence last year.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard this too. Carter has 6 sacks in 2 years. Not sure about other stats on him.
Similar question marks on Anderson.
And Bryce Young supposedly isn't as highly rated as Trevor Lawrence last year.

Fields is your guy at QB. Kid is like a cheat code aka McKinnon in NHL

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it patience or apprehension with him being new to the job? So far, I'm guessing Poles is a terrible poker player.

It could be either.

It also easily could have been he knew last offseason was a year to tear down and not do much else so he sat on his hands.

I think you get a better idea of what kind of GM he is over the next two offseasons. If the Bears aren't significantly improved next season and a contender for at least the NFC title game the following season....he failed.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option is this, and this is what I would do if I had phone control.

Call Green Bay, Tampa, New Orleans, Detroit , Indy and Seattle.

See what kinda compensation you would receive back for #1.

If it's not 3 firsts, or 2 firsts and player valued as a 1st, then don't call back 2 weeks before draft.

Do hard due Diligence on Anderson and Carter. Even ask the infamous Ryan Leaf /Vegas question in combine interview.

You have a month and a half to make it

Call back the good teams. See if the offer still stands. If so and you don't like the answers on your due diligence then take it.

Use the new picks on either Weapons at Wr for Fields or Bodyguards to keep him upright

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ultimate best move would be a trade down to #2 with Houston, then a trade down from #2 to #4 with the Colts...

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ultimate best move would be a trade down to #2 with Houston, then a trade down from #2 to #4 with the Colts...

That would be the dream. But I think both the Colts and Texans want Bryce Young so likely not going to happen.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the dream. But I think both the Colts and Texans want Bryce Young so likely not going to happen.
Apparently, some bodies do... It is being reported Poles phone hasn't stopped ringing.