• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's installing Windows 10 when available later this month?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those who really gave 8.1 a chance would argue it does a great job of giving you what you want AND makes keeping your desktop cleaner MUCH MUCH MUCH easier.

Right click over the 8.1 button gives you access to the stuff you actually use often. Faster to get to them.
Those complaining about the live tile modern apps page really haven't spent the hour or two needed to learn why it works well and how to get the most out of it. Mine is fully customized with all of the apps I use and are organized in groups for super easy finding. Way more organized than folders in the old start bar. And as soon as that modern apps page is up if you start typing out the name of a file/program/anything it instantly shows you results. Getting to those seldom used features takes no more than 5 to 6 keys to spell enough for it to show up.
All of that means you never have to have app links on your desktop. My 7 desktops had dozens of icons on them and ALL of my 8 boxes have maybe 5 or 6 at most and generally just the stuff I'm working on right now so I don't forget them.

I can organize that way too. It's called a folder.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's a topic where people are asking what others are planning on doing around a major launch. You don't see these with apple because it's a tiny share of the market. Nothing more. Apple has like 5% of the market? Linux maybe 1-2%? They are blips on the radar. They are hobby OS's when it comes to the desktop market.

You can make all the claims you want about the battle between them, but apple is a small market OS with far less features and controls that only has to run on a few select overpriced pieces of hardware that runs a fraction of the software designed for PC's. MS powers the world. Without it business wouldn't get done.

I'm not defending MS's practices, but if you want to get shit done on a computer they are far and away the top choice. You just have to dink around with too many lousy alternatives in software on the other platforms.

MS is the worst company in the world at fully vetting it's software before launch. They know it will have issues and that they will be fixed fairly quickly. They would have to have beta programs that lasted years to fully test the scope of what they are trying to do and even then they could never reach the full diversity of hardware/software options all of their users have in the real world. Why? Because PC/Windows is the most diverse product in existence. It does everything for everyone on almost anything.
This is pretty much spot on, with the exception of getting things done in business. Apple can get things done just fine. As a matter of fact, when it comes to graphic design or multi media, I feel it is superior. The market share is so lopsided because it was dominated by PC's early. When businesses started implementing computers throughout their companies, it was all PC. The pain of changing their platforms at this point would be way too painful.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going accept Windows 10 on the hard drive that has Windows 8. Had to switch data cables to boot into that drive , not sure why I couldn't boot up my secondary drive. Forgot to F12 upon booting up, so booted up in Windows 7 instead of windows 8. Now it wants to install 149 updates, which is fine, but time consuming.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty much spot on, with the exception of getting things done in business. Apple can get things done just fine. As a matter of fact, when it comes to graphic design or multi media, I feel it is superior. The market share is so lopsided because it was dominated by PC's early. When businesses started implementing computers throughout their companies, it was all PC. The pain of changing their platforms at this point would be way too painful.
I started doing network support when bus topology and novell ruled. Apple was always a small part of niche work environments. In those days it really was true that they were far better for folks doing graphics and video for a living. Now? Not really. $300 entry PC's can do more than those graphics giants of the 90's. It's now really a matter of preference and which software packages you prefer.

I got into programming in '80 and back then Apple was miles and miles ahead. Loved designing graphics on those old Apple IIe's and IIc's. Worked with the first Mac's in college. They had their qualities. But I would never buy one then, and wouldn't now. It's PC at home all the way and nothing else is close. I toy around with Linux every few years hoping it some day catches up and walk away again disappointed.

PC's are less stable and more bloated. They are far more attacked to the point where it's a real challenge to keep them from getting the latest spyware and ransomware infections. And yet if you use your computer for a great number of things you are really left with no choice but MS and frustrations.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those who have installed the beta are the first in line when it's released. They're going to release it in phases over weeks to those who ordered so don't expect it the first day of its release. I plan to wait at least a couple weeks after its released to even order the download to see what the reviews and bugs are.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to wait for Windows 9. So, I'll pass.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it's free. I've got a computer that's running Windows 7, which is used for games only, I couldn't possibly care less if Windows X borks it up. I usually do a fresh install yearly on it anyway due to unwanted, cumulative bloat that invariably attaches itself to Microsoft products.

Doing it purely for entertainment purposes... hope Microsoft doesn't disappoint. Just curious how much they dumbed down the interface, like they do every release, and how much they obfuscate controls and features.Their networking is usually a disaster, I fully expect Samba will not be working, but will try and connect. Maybe I'll be surprised.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their networking is usually a disaster, I fully expect Samba will not be working, but will try and connect. Maybe I'll be surprised.

It does seem to get worse with each new version of Windows. But I created a special account for use with Samba that allows me to access the Home Group shares easily by just using the credentials of the account. The best part is the account is hidden from prying eyes on the Windows machine, i.e. it doesn't show up on the login screen or control panel user management (unless they know the proper admin tool to gain access or the proper CLI command to see it, but that won't give them the password). Some folders I still use advanced sharing to set the share instead of adding to the library/home group...same account will access those shares for me.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what should i do wait or go ahead and do it. What bad could happen as far as waiting? Is it best to go ahead and install it?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what should i do wait or go ahead and do it. What bad could happen as far as waiting? Is it best to go ahead and install it?
The free upgrade will last a year. There is no rush to take it for pretty much anyone. It's an operating system. Unless you are dying to try their voice system or other toy, it's still just going to be there so you can run your programs and games.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been trying to update windows 8 to windows 8.1, but haven't been able to yet, at least not without missing updates in 8 needed to get the 10 upgrade. I'm seriously thing of just buying 8.1 pro ( can get it for $75.00).

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it pro or home you already own? Because the upgrade to 10 will stay with that same class. If you already have 8 pro you shouldn't need to upgrade to 8.1 first.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it pro or home you already own? Because the upgrade to 10 will stay with that same class. If you already have 8 pro you shouldn't need to upgrade to 8.1 first.
8 home. Surprised that I didn't go pro there but never was impressed with 8 so I guess I went cheap. Mmmm I going to see what 8 pro goes for.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No great deals on Windows 8 pro on EBay, better off going with 8.1 pr o for $75.00 still 9 left. Going to see if I can get 8 to update correctly. I'm starting to think that I gave up to early on the download ( waited 2 hours) to upgrade to 8.1, just did a reset and that took close to 3 hours, but I could see the progress

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checked my download speed on wireless, it was 58.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were many issues with the upgrade from 8 to 8.1. I had a machine that struggled with it. There is plenty written on the web on how to fix each of the things that typically went wrong.

The normal upgrade is $100 and I think I read that stays the same with 10. If you can get a clean version of pro for less it might save you some coin, but honestly most people really don't need pro anyway. I tinker around with servers at home so I always have it, but my wife and daughter are on home. Too cheap to give it to them lol.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were many issues with the upgrade from 8 to 8.1. I had a machine that struggled with it. There is plenty written on the web on how to fix each of the things that typically went wrong.

The normal upgrade is $100 and I think I read that stays the same with 10. If you can get a clean version of pro for less it might save you some coin, but honestly most people really don't need pro anyway. I tinker around with servers at home so I always have it, but my wife and daughter are on home. Too cheap to give it to them lol.

yes but if you have 8.1 pro you get 10.1 pro and can stop auto updates...I think