• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to make of this whole Marty rumor

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Michael Stuart - Report: St. Louis Asked for a Trade; Callahan the Rumored Return?

This rumor surfaced last night, Marty for Callahan. Thought nothing of It really, just some speculation, nothing big. However just seen it this afternoon that Marty asked for a trade because he didn't make team Canada. This disturb me for 2 reasons. 1. Despite his disappointment, he actually went that far to ask for a trade and 2. For Marty information Steve Yzerman is the GM for Canada but he isn't alone when coming to pick the team, infact there was a source saying if it came down just to Yzerman, Marty would of made the team originally. With Stamkos out, Marty was an obvious replacement but you've got to wonder because of the fact he asked for a trade that kinda forced Yzerman to take Marty.

As for the trade itself, the assumption is that Yzerman isn't interested. To be honest i'm less bothered about the actually trade rumor, i'm more disappointed in Marty asking for a trade. I'll excuse him slightly, perhaps it was in the heat of the moment, he's a passionate guy but I do think it's somewhat classless to ask for a trade. He's the heartbeat of the organization, he's been through thick and thin, he's been a true warrior and I respect him dearly both as a player and a person but I have to say losed some respect for him in the past day or so. I think it's a classless move, I really do. Did you get snubbed originally, yeah i'd say so but give me a reason why you think being subbed by your national team should lead to asking for a trade? It better not be because of Stevie Y because that's just total BS in my opinion.

I know you guys will jump on me but this is so unlike the Marty St.Louis the person who I loved all these years. It's so uncharacteristic of him it just doesn't quite makes sense and disappoints me to say the least.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have got to agree here it was classless by marty St. Louis if this is true. Now I do think in a way other people did this for a reason to yzerman in not picking Marty! Babcock the bruins gm and the redwings gm are all in the same division as tampa! So why not screw yzerman and throw a bomb in that lightning locker room. Notice that yzerman quit team canada ? This really must get resolved by yzerman vinik and St. Louis. Also no I don't think yzerman is getting fired and St. Louis is not getting traded. I think for now they will let it go but this summer I think yzerman and St. Louis will sit down with vinik at some point.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think this is Marty's last year in Tampa contract or not. He will be traded and if he is traded why not get Callahan ?. I doubt NY would give up Callahan for just Marty alone.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to think that he didn't ask for a trade and that it was just Glen Sather asking Tampa something along the lines of, "Hey, we know he didn't initially make the team, incase he wants out, we'd be willing to trade for him" type of thing

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think this is Marty's last year in Tampa contract or not. He will be traded and if he is traded why not get Callahan ?. I doubt NY would give up Callahan for just Marty alone.
Yes the rangers would give Callahan to the lightning for marty st.louis but no way do I want callahan! he wants 6 or 7 million per season! and he can't put up the points st.louis can. Callahan is going to be a ufa this summer no way yzerman trades st.louis for a rental. plus we are sitting 3rd in the east no way we move marty we need him for the playoffs to lead are young guys.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like Callahan, I love his game but he's not a 6 or 7 mill player, he's a 4.5 or 5 mill player at tops. I hope we don't trade Marty and I don't think Yzerman will, he's just too valuable. Although i'm against a possible deal, a deal that I think makes sense I think would be Marty for Chris Stewart of the Blues. I think Marty would be a great fit there, St.Louis playing in St.Louis. Despite them being a strong team they could use some more offense firepower. I just think Marty would be nice fit there. Chris Stewart has fell out of favour there in St.Louis. What do the Bolts really lack, a physical skilled power forward. Malone is only the big body we have up front and he's likely gone next year anyway so then we do become rather small upfront. Just imagine one second, the playmaking ability of Drouin paired with Stamkos's goal scoring ability and Chris Stewart's physical, power forward game. Stewart is a but of a streaky player but I think he'd be worth it long term.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like Callahan, I love his game but he's not a 6 or 7 mill player, he's a 4.5 or 5 mill player at tops. I hope we don't trade Marty and I don't think Yzerman will, he's just too valuable. Although i'm against a possible deal, a deal that I think makes sense I think would be Marty for Chris Stewart of the Blues. I think Marty would be a great fit there, St.Louis playing in St.Louis. Despite them being a strong team they could use some more offense firepower. I just think Marty would be nice fit there. Chris Stewart has fell out of favour there in St.Louis. What do the Bolts really lack, a physical skilled power forward. Malone is only the big body we have up front and he's likely gone next year anyway so then we do become rather small upfront. Just imagine one second, the playmaking ability of Drouin paired with Stamkos's goal scoring ability and Chris Stewart's physical, power forward game. Stewart is a but of a streaky player but I think he'd be worth it long term.
I would move purcell for ryan callahan then if yzerman could sign callahan for 5 years 5 million per season i would be ok with that! even if we can't sign callahan then at least we free up purcell's 4.5 million off are cap next year! then buyout malone and that's 9 million free off are cap next year. That's plenty of money to get a top six foward in FA and a top 4 defenseman in fa. As for marty st.louis I don't see him getting traded at the deadline maybe in the summer if he can't patch things up with yzerman.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Michael Stuart - BREAKING: Marty St. Louis has Reportedly Asked for a Trade

I guess he's still not happy, well piss of Marty, this is gutless. I couldn't agree more with Erik Erlendsson, "Marty St. Louis is turning his back on his teammates. He's turning his back on the organization and fans that gave him a chance to be a star in the world's greatest hockey league. As a fan, I'm disappointed."

I say trade him to a bum team and let him rot, seriously! All this organization has done for him and he's turned his back selfishly on this organization, the fans and this community. What sort of "Captain" does that? You know what give that 'C' to Stammer right now. In a bit Marty, I no longer want you apart of this organization.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Michael Stuart - BREAKING: Marty St. Louis has Reportedly Asked for a Trade

I guess he's still not happy, well piss of Marty, this is gutless. I couldn't agree more with Erik Erlendsson, "Marty St. Louis is turning his back on his teammates. He's turning his back on the organization and fans that gave him a chance to be a star in the world's greatest hockey league. As a fan, I'm disappointed."

I say trade him to a bum team and let him rot, seriously! All this organization has done for him and he's turned his back selfishly on this organization, the fans and this community. What sort of "Captain" does that? You know what give that 'C' to Stammer right now. In a bit Marty, I no longer want you apart of this organization.
This is going to get ugly I guess they are going to move Marty after all!

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - UPDATED 2:22pm St. Louis Trade Request Confirmed: What's Next?

Three teams in the metropolitan? Pittsburgh? Philly? How about Marty for Simmonds? I like the sound of that. Maybe even Marty for Voracek? Whatever the talk I do think St.Louis is going to be moved and as quickly as possible before this road trip. I can't imagine Yzerman wanting to prolong this situation, I think a trade needs to happen for both parties.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - UPDATED 2:22pm St. Louis Trade Request Confirmed: What's Next?

Three teams in the metropolitan? Pittsburgh? Philly? How about Marty for Simmonds? I like the sound of that. Maybe even Marty for Voracek? Whatever the talk I do think St.Louis is going to be moved and as quickly as possible before this road trip. I can't imagine Yzerman wanting to prolong this situation, I think a trade needs to happen for both parties.
I think we should deal st.louis! him to colorado for PA Parenteau and a draft pick

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have always appreciated Marty over the years and respected his success but PLEASE GOD don't let him come to Pittsburgh! Philly can have him. Pens have enough offense and they couldn't afford Marty anyway.

It bothers me to see him do this to you TB fans most of all. I have always liked you team because of Marty and Stamkos. Maybe now I like TB because I like Stamkos?

Whatever happens with this drama, I wish TB good luck and would love to see them move up to the #2 seed. 23 games to do it!

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always appreciated Marty over the years and respected his success but PLEASE GOD don't let him come to Pittsburgh! Philly can have him. Pens have enough offense and they couldn't afford Marty anyway.

It bothers me to see him do this to you TB fans most of all. I have always liked you team because of Marty and Stamkos. Maybe now I like TB because I like Stamkos?

Whatever happens with this drama, I wish TB good luck and would love to see them move up to the #2 seed. 23 games to do it!
ya no doubt the tampa fans are really up set with st.louis! I'm just shocked that st.louis is doing this over not making canada! makes me wonder does he care for the lightning or the fans ?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya no doubt the tampa fans are really up set with st.louis! I'm just shocked that st.louis is doing this over not making canada! makes me wonder does he care for the lightning or the fans ?

Seems out of character for him to be throwing a tantrum like this. This is a distraction for the team and ultimately the fans too and they don't need to deal with this crap.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to think of this whole Marty rumor. I'm quite angered because he's a guy who I loved all the years and then he goes and pulls such as gutless and selfish move by asking for a trade. My words before we heat of the moment, i'm still disappointed in the fact he's turn his back on this organization knowing that he asked for a trade. He's response this morning angered me either more to the put were I wanted him gone. His response was weak and he had a chance to clear the air which he failed to do so. Then I watched the practice video from today and there I see Marty having fun with the lads and being his normal self. It's a tricky one to call. What's Marty's emotion now? His answer this morning was weak but does his want to stay or still go? That answer remains unknown. Is there friction between Yzerman and Marty? I think there are a boatload of questions remained unanswered. Now based off reports it does sound like the bolts are talking to teams about Marty. Are they shopping him to trade him or do you just think Yzerman is seeing what he can get? Yzerman could be trying to force him out of town or Yzerman could be looking at the big picture meaning can a get a mid-to-long term piece for a short term piece in Marty e.g. kinda like Callahan. Yzerman is looking down the road so that may be his train of thought? At the end of the day I think it's very hard to judge whether Marty will be here or playing somewhere else after the deadline. I think Yzerman will test the market, if he gets a deal he likes he'll pull the trigger, if not he'll sit tight because we know Yzerman isn't a GM that will make a trade for the sake of it.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I agree that it really appears to be a selfish & gutless move from a player that has been everything but those two words. Most of us have seen coworkers do similar things. And maybe one of us has went into the big man's or woman's office claiming to have an employment offer at a competitor for more money, maybe better hours, or better days off just to get what we want. Maybe we'll never know the truth about this, however, would it be too far fetched to think maybe Marty did the same thing. Just maybe he went into those offices (SY's & JV's) ranting about how he wants to be traded unless he goes to the 2014 Olympics. He has already been passed up by SY before & this makes two times! So far this scenario seems plausible. We have seen ever since SY took over as GM of the Bolts that he prefers younger talent. Just maybe, without knowing it, MSL opened his own door to get traded for younger talent? Maybe SY saw this tantrum as a door opening & to not look like the "bad guy". Sure we can point fingers & vent but to flip flop from loving MSL to wishing he gets traded & traded now is ridiculous! This same attitude is why Tampa Bay sports fans are often called the "Bandwagon" fans! Jump on, jump off. We all wrote on these forums how much we love MSL when he got announced as the teams Captain. We all know he is a great talent & he's never ever before showed not even a hair of this kind of attitude. However, SY has shown ever since he's gotten here how much he loves youth. I wonder if it's really that SY is sticking MSL to his words/treat. Perhaps we, as fans, will never know. :noidea:

Last edited by a moderator:

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My final thought. For any team to lose two Captains in one season, you should be wondering what the Hell is wrong with this picture? What kind of organization let's this happen? :wtf2:

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the lightning were not contending! I would under stand the trade request but we are 3rd in the east folks! with one of the best farm systems in hockey! If marty St.Louis does not want to be apart of the tampa bay lightning anymore then send him to the new york rangers where he won't win any cups there. All this over not getting picked to play on canada who cares! yzerman does not pick team canada by himself! I'm truly shocked a man like marty st.louis would do this during a playoff run with 24 games left!

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet people will be glad we drafted drouin now since marty wants to leave tampa asap now