• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT Bball: vs #5 Syracuse, tonight espn2

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you guys think we'll do?

I've only been able to see the one game that was on TV this year so far, but i was impressed with how our guys played for the most part.

havent seen any of Syracuse's play, so i really dont know anything about them at this point

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our team this year, but we are not ready for this game. This will be a home game for Syracuse to top it off. I think we lose by double digits, but I hope I'm wrong.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to need to hit our jumpers and 3s tonight against Cuse's zone. We actually looked like we were running an offense against a 2-3 last week with some inside out and then back cuts, but those zone schemes are by no means anywhere as good as what we'll be facing tonight.
Doe-Doe, Zo, and Green need to make sure they stay out of foul trouble. Those guys will be key tonight.
I think we keep it within 15

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I remember the last time we played Syracuse, they went on two huge runs in the first half. We really got off to a horrible start. Can't let that happen again.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ETSU played some zone and we looked horrible against it. The difference when Erick Green came into the lineup was immediate. I just hope he's healthy and this won't be a nagging injury all year

Bone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up fellas?

Cuse has a very deep team, they'll substitute 5 guys off the bench who can score, rebound and block shots. I think that's why people think they're a really good team.

I've seen all of their games thus far and I'm impressed by their size. Their zone will be tough to penetrate this season because of their big guards and their ability to block shots in the paint.

On offense they have guards who can bring it to the hole and finish strong. Dion Waiters and Brandon Triche are good examples. Southerland is hot off the bench with his 3's.

If VT has any chance in this game they'll have to get off to a strong start and score early. I've noticed that it takes Cuse some time to get going and they are usually down in the early going. If VT isn't very deep off the bench they wont be able to run with Cuse. They'll need to try and slow it down because of Cuse's bench.

And of course, hitting the 3's against the Orange is always a must. Look for Jimmy B to change up the D from zone to man-to-man. He's been doing it a lot lately which is unusual.

I hope VT plays well because the Orange needs a good test to find out how good they really are.

Anyway, good luck tonight.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kinda hard to go into this one expecting a W, with that said i will be happy as long as we play hard and dont "give" the game away with stupid mistakes. VT's D may keep the score pretty close and who knows, if syracuse has an off night we may be able to pull the upset.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two things that give us a chance in this is our defense and improved shooting. Our 3-point shooting has been very solid in the first 3 games. 42.3% from beyond the arc so far. We will need to make our 3 pointers to win tonight. Robert Brown may play a big role in this game.

Seth Greenberg has always put a solid defense on the floor. I doubt that Syracuse will keep their 90 ppg average after this game.

If we can make our 3's and play solid defense, we can win. Hopefully Green is 100% for this game, we can't afford for him to aggravate that achilles again.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see us hanging around if the team attacks the 2-3 zone correctly. We could manage an upset if Syracuse gets cold and we get hot shooting the ball.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
During the G-town memphis game the guys just said "catch the NIT season tip-off tonight VIRGINIA faces syracuse" :doh:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the G-town memphis game the guys just said "catch the NIT season tip-off tonight VIRGINIA faces syracuse" :doh:
ragecomic.png

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what I've seen out of the team so far and I think they are fully capable of pulling the upset, especially considering Syracuse is prone to early season head scratchers. However, realistically I don't think it happens. I think we'll keep it within reason before Cuse pulls away midway thru the 2nd half.

Regardless of if we win or lose, it will be a good measuring stick and learning experience for the team. They'll be facing a traditionally tough opponent on a huge stage. If you can play well in MSG, you can play anywhere.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got to rebound the basketball and get back on defense. Our offense has been ok but we could crack the zone a little better. We are winning on our half court defense alone.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to put someone on the baseline. Right now they are packing it in and preventing the pass into the free throw line. With someone down at the baseline, they'll be forced to extend, which should allow passes inside.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We got to rebound the basketball and get back on defense. Our offense has been ok but we could crack the zone a little better. We are winning on our half court defense alone.

agree 100% Its obvious we had a gameplan to hold onto the ball and limit 'cuse possessions, but we do need to attack the zone better especially in transition. IMO syracuse came out cold and we took advantage of that to some degree. We will have to play better basketball in the 2nd.

I was surprised that Davila didnt play more. I was really critical of him last year but this year he has had a presence down low that no one else seems to have.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, half-court defense is keeping us in this game. We need to box out and prevent their 2nd chance points, though. Hopefully Seth makes some offensive adjustments. We need to work it inside. Just passing it around the perimeter until there's 10 seconds left on the shot clock then we panic. Luckily, when we're panicking we're making a lot of our shots.

Eddie and Green keeping us in this game. Hopefully Davila can come back, limit his fouls, and make a difference down low.

We can win this game. Their depth won't come into play with the pace of this game right now. We are playing at our pace which will keep us in this game. Hopefully our shooting stays hot, and we can make a few adjustments to beat the zone.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree 100% Its obvious we had a gameplan to hold onto the ball and limit 'cuse possessions, but we do need to attack the zone better especially in transition. IMO syracuse came out cold and we took advantage of that to some degree. We will have to play better basketball in the 2nd.

I was surprised that Davila didnt play more. I was really critical of him last year but this year he has had a presence down low that no one else seems to have.

2 charging fouls early forced Greenberg to bench him. We'll see him for most of the 2nd half is my guess.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start. Defense is excellent, offense needs to clean up the TOs. I'm not a fan of how we've chosen to attack the zone (I prefer attacking it) but I can understand the gameplan of time possession. You just better hope you keep making outside shots when you play that way. I'd also like to see a cutter on the baseline as well. When the zone collapses around the FT line, someone needs to be cutting towards the basket.

BTW, sounds like there's a good sized Hokie contingent at MSG. Hokienation!!!!