• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tread Deadline Rumors/Speculation Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea if the Mets will make a flashy move but the Tigers have come out and said they're likely sellers at the deadline. I'd take Yoenis Céspedes in a heartbeat, he could probably be had for relatively cheap (compared to some other guys). Cespedes and another upgrade elsewhere (Zobrist?) would be solid.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been seeing Zobrist as a possible.

The Reds appear to be offering Jay Bruce to the Mets, but not Frazier. Big contract, but hitting well this month, and it's looking more and more like Cuddyer is going to hit the DL. The Angels are also interested in Bruce.

Somebody in the Mets' FO said that Niese is NOT on the table for any possible deals.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been seeing Zobrist as a possible.

The Reds appear to be offering Jay Bruce to the Mets, but not Frazier. Big contract, but hitting well this month, and it's looking more and more like Cuddyer is going to hit the DL. The Angels are also interested in Bruce.

Somebody in the Mets' FO said that Niese is NOT on the table for any possible deals.

I get wanting to keep Niese but you have to give up something if you want a quality return. I'm not crazy about players that come from offensive ballparks (see Michael Cuddyer) so I'm skeptical about Bruce.

Gerardo Parra from the Brewers is the other name I keep hearing. The additions of Parra and Zobrist probably wouldn't cost us a fortune since they have expiring contracts and I think they make this lineup significantly better, especially once/if D'Arnaud comes back.

I'm not sure what MLB players we'd have to give up but assuming we don't give up anyone currently on the roster we could potentially have a bench of Cuddyer, Conforto, Plawecki and Tejada, that sounds good to me.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing Jay Bruce and I'm not crazy about it. He's a streaky player that reminds me a lot of the guys that we already have here. On top of that, what does that do for the makeup of our outfield? Granderson to center? That's a terrifying thought. Defensively our outfield takes a huge hit (although Lagares has taken a step back from last year), for a slight upgrade offensively.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note, it's somewhat annoying that what we need at the deadline is exactly what we needed at the end of last season and failed to address during the offseason or so far this season. The Uribe/Johnson deal should have been made earlier, we still need a lefty in the bullpen, we still need a big bat in the lineup. I don't want to hear about Wright being hurt or that Cuddyer was the answer, we shouldn't be scrambling to plug these holes when we have known they existed dating back to last season.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Mets have shifted their trade focus from an outfielder to a late-inning bullpen arm, columnist Joel Sherman writes in the Post. Sherman suggests the Mets are not aiming for Craig Kimbrel or Aroldis Chapman. They’re more looking to add someone of the ilk of San Diego’s Joaquin Benoit or Oakland’sTyler Clippard. Jenrry Mejia, because of his PED suspension, is ineligible for the postseason. MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo tweets that the Mets are “heavily” scouting Cincinnati’s Jay Bruce, although Sherman downplays the likelihood the Mets acquire him because he is signed through 2016 and the club has a congested outfield. The Post’s Mike Puma tweets that the Mets believe they can add a reliever and a bat before Friday’s 4 p.m. ET non-waiver trade deadline.

• The Mets will only have to pay $2.5 million in salary to Uribe and Johnson, CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman tweets. That means the Atlanta Braves kicked in $650,000 in the trade.

• From the bloggers … Mets Report believes the team’s mojo has changed.

• Columnist Larry Brooks in the Post labels the Mets’ weekend additions a victory for general manager Sandy Alderson over the residents of Panic City. Alderson has more work to do this week, columnist Anthony Rieber writes in Newsday.

David Wright is expected to join the Mets and begin baseball activity.
David Wright closer to baseball activities | Newsday

Steven Matz (lat muscle) and Jerry Blevins (forearm fracture) are due to be examined this week. Both may be cleared to toss a baseball.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Rubin, ESPN Staff Writer:
The New York Mets are "making progress" in an attempt to trade for Oakland Athletics reliever Tyler Clippard, although other suitors remain, Foxsports.com's Ken Rosenthal tweets.

Clippard, 30, is 1-3 with a 2.79 ERA and has 17 saves this season. He is earning $8.3 million and is eligible for free agency during the upcoming offseason.

The Mets are looking to upgrade their bullpen, particularly with Jenrry Mejiaineligible for the postseason as part of his performance-enhancing drug suspension terms.

Clippard pitched for the Washington Nationals from 2008 through last season, which would make him joining the Mets an even more interesting dynamic.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics | HardballTalk

I like this move. Didn't give up anything too significant, he'll be a nice replacement for Mejia assuming we make the playoffs. Will also give me some more faith when the starters come out of the game. Now go get a bat and maybe a lefty reliever.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer inspection, it's a pretty legit prospect we gave up albeit one that is 2-3 years away from the bigs.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning towards Zobrist....and I'd like the Mets to pull the trigger.
He's more versatile than Upton & Parra combined.
He's a switch hitter and decent bat who can play all 3 OF positions as well as 2 or 3 INF positions. The only thing is the A's may want more than just a few low level minor leaguers in return....but hopefully Sandy & Beane could work something out that would benefit both teams without going overboard.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets had been talking about a larger deal with Oakland that involved Ben Zobrist and Clippard but dropped Zobrist from the discussions after the trade with Atlanta.

The Mets remain hopeful they still can add an outfielder before Friday's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver trade deadline. They are engaged in discussions with four or five teams.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that's a strange one. Heard a pure speculation rumor that maybe they would flip Reyes to the Mets, I want no part of anything like that, even if they ate half his salary (which they wouldn't).

Can Zobrist lead off? I would love for whoever we acquired to be a leadoff hitter. Would improve this lineup tremendously in my opinion.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bless my soul, they're actually making moves to improve this team!

We kept hearing about how "2015 is the year," looks like they really meant it. From just a two-game sample, the team looks looser since adding Johnson/Uribe but we'll see if that translates in to more hitting over the next few series. Specifically, TIMELY hitting, seems like we strand a ton of runners every game.

Need to pummel San Diego. Hop all over Shields tonight.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still gotta show me, but if Sandy keeps this up, I will happily eat some crow. :hungry: