• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Season Thread of 2016

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, in other news on the AJC, we signed Matt Costello, the Michigan State forward/center. He averaged 10 points and 8.2 rebounds per game with the Spartans.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, God damn it, bk linked me to a report about how we're trading both our first rounders just to get space to re-sign Horford. That shit better be wrong. :mad2:
You don't really need those picks. You need two stars.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently they have secured a meeting with KD, but I'm sure it's just a courtesy call...sounds like D. Howard might seriously be ready to come home.

Is Howard, Milsap, rookie (most likely Prince), Hardaway Jr, Schroder better than LY?...Maybe.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't really need those picks. You need two stars.

Agreed, in an sense. I'd rather have two stars than the two picks; however, if we start paying Al $26-$30 million a year, we're not going to have either one of those things. It'll be a lot like the Joe Johnson contract.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently they have secured a meeting with KD, but I'm sure it's just a courtesy call...sounds like D. Howard might seriously be ready to come home.

Is Howard, Milsap, rookie (most likely Prince), Hardaway Jr, Schroder better than LY?...Maybe.

Depends on how fast Schroeder, Hardaway, and whatever rookie we would be starting would develop. Also, Dwight's health is a major factor.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how fast Schroeder, Hardaway, and whatever rookie we would be starting would develop. Also, Dwight's health is a major factor.

Coach Bud's OFC is not really conducive to Howard's game, but he's a good enough coach to tweak it and add more low post activity. Howard brings a DEF and rebounding presence that imo makes them better immediately.

Dennis just needs to take better care of the ball and be more selective with his shots...only experience can cure those things.

The east underneath CLE is pretty clustered imo. I'd rather see Howard in ATL than BOS.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, in an sense. I'd rather have two stars than the two picks; however, if we start paying Al $26-$30 million a year, we're not going to have either one of those things. It'll be a lot like the Joe Johnson contract.

Well with this 94 mil cap...it won't be quite as hindering...you can have two max deal players and still enough for a 3rd proven scorer.

OKC is maybe in the mix for Al...which if I were him and KD is staying, I'd take that over LAL or ATL.

As I've said before my biggest problem with Horford is he's kinda the same guy as Milsap, just not as good imo. He's good, but he's not dominant in any particular area and as a flex 5, he's not a strong rebounder or shot blocker.

That said...if Horford can play for $22 mil or so, and you get a guy like DeRozan to add to the mix...that should get them to the eastern finals and you take your chances from there.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with this 94 mil cap...it won't be quite as hindering...you can have two max deal players and still enough for a 3rd proven scorer.

OKC is maybe in the mix for Al...which if I were him and KD is staying, I'd take that over LAL or ATL.

As I've said before my biggest problem with Horford is he's kinda the same guy as Milsap, just not as good imo. He's good, but he's not dominant in any particular area and as a flex 5, he's not a strong rebounder or shot blocker.

That said...if Horford can play for $22 mil or so, and you get a guy like DeRozan to add to the mix...that should get them to the eastern finals and you take your chances from there.

I wonder if we've been talking to DeRozan at all. I haven't heard anything.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we got DH after all. I have very mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I hate Dwight Howard and think he's a cancer. On the other hand, if he gets his act together, this could be a great sign. Only time will tell.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we got DH after all. I have very mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I hate Dwight Howard and think he's a cancer. On the other hand, if he gets his act together, this could be a great sign. Only time will tell.

I'm the opposite kinda...I can't say I really like Howard, but I like this move by the Hawks. DH is a limited OFC player, but he's dominant or can be in other areas the Hawks have been weak in the last few years...DEF boards, low post DEF and low post OFC.

Now...I don't like DH, AL and Milsap with Paul trying to play 3 much...but DH's contract is such that they still can bring in another guy or pay Baze the market rate...this should not be the last move and I don't expect it to be....I'm really curious to see these young 3s they drafted in action now....at worst, they're keeping pace with NYK.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we re-signed Bazemore to a four-year, $70 million contract. That means we're either moving him to SG and benching Korver, or we're trading Millsap. We're talking to Horford and finding a way to move some pieces to get cap space. This likely means that the news article that BK linked me is correct and we are indeed trading Prince and Bembry to save on cap space; in addition, I can virtually guarantee you that Splitter, who is set to receive twelve million this year, is gone. Hopefully, they'll re-sign Humphries.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we re-signed Bazemore to a four-year, $70 million contract. That means we're either moving him to SG and benching Korver, or we're trading Millsap. We're talking to Horford and finding a way to move some pieces to get cap space. This likely means that the news article that BK linked me is correct and we are indeed trading Prince and Bembry to save on cap space; in addition, I can virtually guarantee you that Splitter, who is set to receive twelve million this year, is gone. Hopefully, they'll re-sign Humphries.

Well...even after Howard was signed, neither side moved... Horford wanted 5, Hawks were set at 4...with Al officially out of the mix now I think it's clear they will keep at least one of the draft picks for wing depth...imo it never made sense to trade both and only get cap space for Teague anyway.

If they do trade one, imo it should be for a vet PG...no question that Korver is moving to a 6th man role imo...Hardaway should be the 2 starter, with Baze @ 3.

Splitter...coming off injury I think it will be tough to move that kind of salary. I agree Humphries would be the preferred back up, to Howard, but I expect Splitter back unless someone has a big need.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our immediate need right now is to get a back-up point guard for Schroeder.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our immediate need right now is to get a back-up point guard for Schroeder.

Given that KD has made his move...Westbrook is all but gone which makes him trade material.

Would you give up Schroder and one of the wing draft picks for a sign and trade deal for Westbrook?

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that KD has made his move...Westbrook is all but gone which makes him trade material.

Would you give up Schroder and one of the wing draft picks for a sign and trade deal for Westbrook?

I was thinking about the possibility of pulling of that very trade yesterday. We'd probably have to give them a first rounder too, but I would definitely do it. Westbrook, Millsap, and Howard is a very capable combination.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about the possibility of pulling of that very trade yesterday. We'd probably have to give them a first rounder too, but I would definitely do it. Westbrook, Millsap, and Howard is a very capable combination.

IMO, that puts the Hawks right there with CLE...but I wouldn't be too generous, but if it came down to a draft pick I probably would as well.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, that puts the Hawks right there with CLE...but I wouldn't be too generous, but if it came down to a draft pick I probably would as well.

I think a lineup of Westbrook, Korver, Bazemore, Millsap, and Howard would win around 55 games. Very nice.

Unfortunately, I heard a rumor on the general board off-season thread that a Westbroook for Porzingas trade with the Knicks is being floated around. That offer might be tough for us to beat.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lineup of Westbrook, Korver, Bazemore, Millsap, and Howard would win around 55 games. Very nice.

Unfortunately, I heard a rumor on the general board off-season thread that a Westbroook for Porzingas trade with the Knicks is being floated around. That offer might be tough for us to beat.

Well, all things equal with the teams, the big apple will always be a bigger attraction. IMO the Knicks with Rose and Westbrook is a weird fit, but Rose is not long term...maybe.

The one thing you said I have mixed feelings on...Korver as a starter...but I do think Howard (if dominant inside) makes a stand up shooter better.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, all things equal with the teams, the big apple will always be a bigger attraction. IMO the Knicks with Rose and Westbrook is a weird fit, but Rose is not long term...maybe.

The one thing you said I have mixed feelings on...Korver as a starter...but I do think Howard (if dominant inside) makes a stand up shooter better.

He can be his new Ryan Anderson!