• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to get wise: EXPAND

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were truly looking to jump ship then The BIG would make more sense for both IMO. Regionally it fits better plus you get OU/Nebraska again as well as Texas/Nebraska... More I think about it WVU would make a good add on this side of that conference too. Maryland,Penn State,Ohio State,Rutgers, Michigan... Makes some sense I guess...
:agree:
I like this idea the best.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be Texas. They are self centered little bitches.
Oklahoma. We aren't afraid of competition.
Bring it on.

OOYM - that is why I don't understand why OKlahoma would follow Texas IF TX are the pain in the ass everybody in the Big 12 says they are. Both of you guys are the marquee names in the conference and, outside of $, I just do not see the advantage of joining the PAC-12.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would be the cornerstone of the PAC pretty quickly if they get their game back in order. The B11 used to be called the B2 L8, the PAC is 90% USC, so I'd say that UT would love to go there and be one of the big boys of the league from day one, instead of playing 3rd fiddle at best in the B11.

Poppy, you may be correct, but they are already the big boys in the Big 12. Oregon has stepped up to take the place of UCLA. Both Arizona teams are stepping up their game and UCLA will, hopefully, return again. Stanford has been challenging for the title for some time now.

I'm not saying that they couldn't compete in the PAC-12, but why jump the Big-12 for the PAC-12. It's not like leaving the AAC for the PAC-12. I can't see either team leaving unless they want to collapse the Big-12 and I can't see the PAC-12 allowing the Longhorn Network to survive.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OOYM - that is why I don't understand why OKlahoma would follow Texas IF TX are the pain in the ass everybody in the Big 12 says they are. Both of you guys are the marquee names in the conference and, outside of $, I just do not see the advantage of joining the PAC-12.
You are always talking about money above all else, Texas is the cash cow in this league.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are always talking about money above all else, Texas is the cash cow in this league.
But the money difference between the PAC-12 and Big-12 isn't that much and payout/team would be greater in the Big-12. Plus, Texas has the Longhorn Network in the Big-12, which I would guess that they couldn't have, unless negotiated, in the PAC-12.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let us know what you decide

we will have an application at the ready

Keep in mind

we bring

a great football program that will make the conference even more competitive

a decent not great basketball program

some of our other sports are solid too

and our stadium isn't big at the moment but will expand over 50,000 as soon as we have the finances

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said....

It's time for the Big 12 to get proactive with expansion...

Like NOW.

Texas and Oklahoma go, we are up a creek without a paddle!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said....

Like NOW.

Double edged sword though, Texas and OU don't want it. They make their money regardless so nothing in it for them except make less money. Less money means an unhappy couple of great CFB brands.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If OU and Texas want to add teams... the Big 12 will add teams.

But, adding teams will do nothing to helping stabilize the conference.

If OU and Texas decide one day in the future to leave, the conference is sunk. No paddle gonna help...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said....

Like NOW.

Say we pick up Boise and BYU or a Florida team. Does it really make the conference any stronger.more viable? Texas and OU could destroy that version of the B12 if they want to leave. Also, we would not get yearly games with UT or OU. The only real reason to expand is if we can get teams that add value and they would have to come from one of the other P5 conferences.

Dont expand just for the sake of expansion.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait for the ACC to break their promise to its members about getting their own conference network (clock is ticking btw)and let their members fall further behind in revenue because of it. THEN either make the move or wait until the BIG/SEC make THEIR move on them and form an eastern division for the Big12 with some of its disgruntled members.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say we pick up Boise and BYU or a Florida team. Does it really make the conference any stronger.more viable?

Well, I do know we will disagree on this point, but I think taking the two Florida schools (UCF, USF) DOES MAKE the conference stronger. Why?

1. Tampa and Orlando TV markets.

2. RECRUITING, RECRUITING (this would give Oklahoma better inroads there as well)

3. A foothold in ACC/SEC territory.... And a position to court Florida St. and Miami.

4. College football is more about perception than you realize. Not having a college football championship game hurts the Big 12 perception.

Can we go back 20 some years? When the Big 12 formed, I asked, "Why the heck did they take BAYLOR?" Baylor at that time was terrible! (Sorry Baylor fans... but stick with me here) As a young outsider I thought they should have taken Houston at the time. They had a recent Heisman winner at that time and had a recent history in the late 80's of some success. But... look at Baylor NOW!

Can we go back 7-10 years? South Florida joins the Big East and makes a competitive leap. They beat Auburn at Auburn and reach as high as #2 in the polls before a late season collapse. They are currently the largest Florida university, in Tampa, FL with a large NFL stadium to play in.

Can we go back 2 years? Central Florida beat the Big 12 champion in the final year the AAC/ OLD Big East gets an automatic bid. They have a large stadium and are currently the second largest university in the state of Florida.

Any business model, to get richer, requires investment. Now, the choice is what is the wisest investment? I don't think Boise St. or BYU are. What growth potential do they bring? Little. What recruiting base to they bring? Little. What TV markets do they bring? Salt Lake City and Boise. USF/UCF? Tampa and Orlando. (Can you say Disney?)

UCF and USF are state schools... Growing. With the growth UCF and USF WILL HAVE once joining the Big 12, Florida St. and Miami, who are football schools in a basketball conference, will look to the Big 12 much more favorably, and likely join.

Now, the exception in my humble opinion, is if the Big 12 can get two "Big Boys" right now. I just don't see that happening until we get to 12 and prove stability. Just my thoughts.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to look up the article, but I recently read that our commissioner was informed any new addition to the Big 12 would have to be able to add $50 million to the revenue package in order for current teams not to take a cut in their annual payouts.

There are no schools from the G5 who can provide this revenue source.

Adding teams to the Big 12 will not provide incentive to schools like OU or Texas to remain a part. If they decide to leave, the conference will sink... no matter who has been added from the G5.

Everyone involved in the sport understands how much more difficult it is to have round robin play determine the conference champion.

If conference schools would do a better job scheduling their OOC, the final week of the regular season will have little impact on the conference champion's plight to qualify for the CFP.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If conference schools would do a better job scheduling their OOC, the final week of the regular season will have little impact on the conference champion's plight to qualify for the CFP.

I definitely agree with you on this point. The top 8 schools in our conference have a responsibility to play at least one Top 40 school at least once Out of Conference to boost the perception of the conference. Iowa St. plays Iowa...if Kansas at this point played a weak non-conference schedule I could understand. This year, WVU's OOC schedule is just bad, but at least if you look big picture you can see we are not going to make that a year in, year out habit.

Still 13 games are harder to win than 12, and 11-1 is worse than 12-1. Like it or not, that's the perception, not the reality, but the perception.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say we pick up Boise and BYU or a Florida team. Does it really make the conference any stronger.more viable?

Well, I do know we will disagree on this point, but I think taking the two Florida schools (UCF, USF) DOES MAKE the conference stronger. Why?

1. Tampa and Orlando TV markets.

2. RECRUITING, RECRUITING (this would give Oklahoma better inroads there as well)

3. A foothold in ACC/SEC territory.... And a position to court Florida St. and Miami.

4. College football is more about perception than you realize. Not having a college football championship game hurts the Big 12 perception.

Can we go back 20 some years? When the Big 12 formed, I asked, "Why the heck did they take BAYLOR?" Baylor at that time was terrible! (Sorry Baylor fans... but stick with me here) As a young outsider I thought they should have taken Houston at the time. They had a recent Heisman winner at that time and had a recent history in the late 80's of some success. But... look at Baylor NOW!

Can we go back 7-10 years? South Florida joins the Big East and makes a competitive leap. They beat Auburn at Auburn and reach as high as #2 in the polls before a late season collapse. They are currently the largest Florida university, in Tampa, FL with a large NFL stadium to play in.

Can we go back 2 years? Central Florida beat the Big 12 champion in the final year the AAC/ OLD Big East gets an automatic bid. They have a large stadium and are currently the second largest university in the state of Florida.

Any business model, to get richer, requires investment. Now, the choice is what is the wisest investment? I don't think Boise St. or BYU are. What growth potential do they bring? Little. What recruiting base to they bring? Little. What TV markets do they bring? Salt Lake City and Boise. USF/UCF? Tampa and Orlando. (Can you say Disney?)

UCF and USF are state schools... Growing. With the growth UCF and USF WILL HAVE once joining the Big 12, Florida St. and Miami, who are football schools in a basketball conference, will look to the Big 12 much more favorably, and likely join.

Now, the exception in my humble opinion, is if the Big 12 can get two "Big Boys" right now. I just don't see that happening until we get to 12 and prove stability. Just my thoughts.
If we were still in the BigEast I would agree 100% but the Big12 today is a different animal. The TV markets don't mean as much because we don't have a conference network. Recruiting is national now and having a team in this or that state doesn't mean all that much, everyone recruits everywhere, especially when your a P5 and have the money to do so.

As a fan I'm with ya, personally I'd love to see UCF as a Big12 member for the Orlando trip every other year and IF the LHN ever becomes the Big12 network then it would make a lot of sense but for the time being and into the imidiate future that's not gonna happen.
For the record you have a better outlook and model than the former BigEast leadership ever did. You would have made a better commish than ole meatball and co. Had that conference had any vision like this it may still be relevant.
:thumb:

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both sides of this discussion have merit. I would like to think our favorite sport, and our conference still believes in the American Dream of just give me a chance to prove myself. Why not bring in a couple of afore mentioned schools at a reduced revenue and with a stipulation that they must meet certain milestones or be gone. I’m thinking that just having the sobriquet of P5 would help boost these schools. What I fear is one of the other Conferences taking this step and then there are no viable candidates left.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trip to Orlando sounds nice every couple of years, but what if that came at the expense of playing OU or Texas every year. Adding teams will eliminate the round robin and the opportunity to play these teams every year. If it were Clemson or Florida State as a replacement, that would be easy to live with.

I think the idea of sitting and waiting for the ACC to flounder or another conference to have jumpers is better than adding a lesser known/respected team to the conference.

As many have pointed out OU and Texass are the cornerstones of the conference. Watering down the conference just for a CC game will make the PAC,SEC or any other offers look better.

At this point, I see no viable candidates. There are no non P5 teams that I would like to see replace Texass on the schedule every year.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trip to Orlando sounds nice every couple of years, but what if that came at the expense of playing OU or Texas every year. Adding teams will eliminate the round robin and the opportunity to play these teams every year. If it were Clemson or Florida State as a replacement, that would be easy to live with.

I think the idea of sitting and waiting for the ACC to flounder or another conference to have jumpers is better than adding a lesser known/respected team to the conference.

As many have pointed out OU and Texass are the cornerstones of the conference. Watering down the conference just for a CC game will make the PAC,SEC or any other offers look better.

At this point, I see no viable candidates. There are no non P5 teams that I would like to see replace Texass on the schedule every year.
Good points and can't disagree. For the time being, sitting tight and helping making our 10 team conference reach its potential is the prudent thing to do IMO.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
I like this idea the best.
Until WV becomes an AAU school this will never happen..Only one school in the Big10 that does not meet the criteria and that is Nebraska...and they just lost that designation..