• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thought some of you might enjoy this

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies if it's well-known:

46006067-funny-gif-.gif

He gets an "A" for trying. :L

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he gave it a shot

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 1974 that Mike Schmidt collects one of the longest singles in big league history when the ball he hits off Astros hurler Claude Osteen caroms of the public address speaker hanging 117 feet in the air and 329 feet from home plate, is ruled in play due to the ballpark's ground rules. The Rice University mathematics department calculates the Astrodome blast would have traveled 550 feet if left unimpeded.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because,......., we've all got to go sometime........

Figuratively speaking, the most intense sports fans are known to live and die with the successes and failures of their respective favorite teams. However, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs — Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies — would like to give one die-hard fan a chance to live and literally die with the home team.What does that mean exactly?
Well, the IronPigs will give their fans the opportunity to write a 200-word essay on what his or her ideal funeral would be. All entries must be turned in on July 31, and then, on Aug. 20, when the IronPigs will be host "Celebration of Life” night at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, PA, the person judged to have written the best essay will actually win a free funeral courtesy of the Reichel Funeral Home and Northampton Memorial Co.
It's the real deal, folks. No expense will spared. In fact, according to the team's press release, the Reichel funeral package will include a casket, funeral direction, body removal, embalming or cremation (I think you can decide later), hearse and facility for the funeral services, and a wake or viewing. Northhampton Memorial will throw in a $1,500 headstone and The Morning Call adds that Richmar Florist had promised a $300 casket display.
From what I can tell, there are only two catches involved: The first, you have to live until Aug. 20. The other, you have to attend the game. Failure to do one or the other will result in disqualification.
Here's more from IronPigs general manager Kurt Landes:
“The best fans in Minor League Baseball deserve the opportunity to win a once-in-a-lifetime giveaway. Unquestionably, this is the most highly-coveted ‘out-of-the-box’ promotion in IronPigs history.”
That covers a lot of ground. In fact, the IronPigs made news just last season with their foam finger promotion that was designed to encourage prostate exams. Earlier in the season, they also became the first team to install a urine-powered video game system into their stadium.
"What's next is what we do," IronPigs spokesman Jon Schaeffer said. "When you have urinal games in your facility, there are no bad ideas."
Apparently not.
It's also not the first time Kurt Landes has used the funeral promotion as a general manager. Back in 2003 when he worked for the Hagerstown Suns, he used the same promotion with the same rules and drew 2,000 essays, which was more than the team was drawing on average at the time.
I'd say that qualifies as a success in the wacky world of minor league baseball promotions, so why try it out at a higher level with a larger fanbase and see how it works out. I know I'll be dying to see the results.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date back in 1974 that Mike Schmidt collects one of the longest singles in big league history when the ball he hits off Astros hurler Claude Osteen caroms of the public address speaker hanging 117 feet in the air and 329 feet from home plate, is ruled in play due to the ballpark's ground rules. The Rice University mathematics department calculates the Astrodome blast would have traveled 550 feet if left unimpeded.

Mommas don't give birth to guys like Mike Schmidt anymore. And that's sad and tobad.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former All-Star catcher Darren Daulton has been diagnosed with two brain tumors and will undergo surgery next week.
Daulton, who played 14 1/2 of his 15 seasons for the Philadelphia Phillies, has hosted ''Talking Baseball with Dutch'' at 97.5 The Fanatic the last four years.
The station released a statement Thursday saying Daulton, after not feeling well the past two weeks, saw a doctor who made the discovery.
Daulton was a key part of the Phillies' NL championship team in 1993. He finished his career with the 1997 World Series champion Florida Marlins.

This is very sad. However, it also got me thinking. Maybe there has been something going on in his head for a LONG time. If so, it would help explain some of this -

Daulton holds a series of beliefs related to conspiracies, occultism, and numerology. He maintains that the universe is created and sustained by numerical synchronicities, and that all matter is charged with vibrational energy, which has escaped human perception because it is extradimensional in origin. He believes that those who are conscious of this energy can manipulate it to affect reality in different ways, such as altering the weather. He also believes that the pyramids and Mayan temples were created by a lost civilization, and that people with knowledge of the workings of the system will "ascend" at the conclusion of the Mayan calendar on Dec. 21, 2012, at 11:11 a.m. (Greenwich Mean Time), vanishing into a new plane of existence. He recently claimed in a televised interview with ESPN that he has "skipped through time" and undergone "astral travel" and will "blast into space."
Daulton has authored a book on occultism and numerology, titled "If They Only Knew," published in 2007. In the book he discusses numerous aspects of occultism, referencing experts in the field, and his personal experiences. He is an avid believer in OBE's (out of body experiences)and claims that he has experienced many throughout his life

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a feature that will mimic my handwriting and continue to send derogatory letters to J.D. Drew after I'm gone?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea BigDDude. It is evident from that description that Daulton has brain tumors. They were successfully removed so he ought to just blink his eyes at some of the things he said while he had those tumors.