• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The second 19

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda mentally checked already. That's what I get for watching these dudes everyday. Time to be a casual again. Hope they turned it around in the summer ( end of May; beginning of June ).

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess throwing one at the guy's chin isn't what we do now and there is no need to start a beanball war with a team that isn't much better against everyone else in the league. Thames may be on the juice but I doubt it. He will also hit 11 home runs over the next 80 games.

Cincy will get severely raked over the coals in St. Louis. Since they play .480 at home, dont' expect May to be all that pretty.

Not clear on why guys are getting 48 hours with the big club. Seems a waste of clubbie time.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea whether Eric Thames has used PED's or not, but that has become the assumption when a guy burst onto the scene with great success. I read somewhere that he's already been randomly tested twice this season.

So Yeah ....

Apparently he's guilty until proven innocent by MLB standards as well. That's assuming the MLB has any standard other than making money.

IMO,
That's one of many lasting legacies the PED era has given us. It's taken some of the joy out of watching exceptional performances. In the back of fans minds they're wondering.....
Am I watching something incredible or a 80 game suspension to be announced later?

Last edited:

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds activate Devon Mesoraco and option.... who else, Barrett Astin.

The guy hasn't given up an earned run this season and is apparently always the odd man out.

Last edited:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds activate Devon Mesoraco and option.... who else, Barrett Astin.

The guy hasn't given up an earned run this season and is apparently always the odd man out.
The deal was, they had to keep Turner or lose him, so until Meso can catch, they had to option a pitcher. Not sure if Astin is the guy who ought to go, but it seems Stephenson isn't getting much accomplished.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitcher that should be optioned is Rookie Davis. He's clearly been the weakest link on this staff.

Who replaces him in the rotation?
Throw a dart at the list of names.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he's guilty until proven innocent by MLB standards as well. That's assuming the MLB has any standard other than making money.

I hate to admit it me being a life long Reds fan, but when he come's to the plate I take notice. So far his greatness has only come against the Reds. 8 out of 11. I think the Brewers have 11 more games against the Reds.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who replaces him in the rotation?
Throw a dart at the list of names

I would think Adleman. But before anyone takes his place We will have to endure. 1 maybe 2 more starts from Rookie Davis. I never saw him in ST but he must of did something to make Price think he can pitch up here. And he's not the only one. It looks to me that any pitcher who has a little success in the minors get's brought up to ML's and they are not ready. Garrett being the exception so far

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronson will be the Straily of the staff and become the de-facto ace.
Finny is out for at least a month.
Disco is out for the year.
I frankly don't g.a.f. about Homer.
Garrett needs another year to be any good.
Adleman will be there when they need a game pitched.
Not sure how many games that will include after May 1.
The bullpen will run out of gas.
Meanwhile, Kivlehan ....

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't take too long. The Reds have moved into last place.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton walking around in the box, bailing out on everything, faking his bunts for strikes, popping up on the first thing he sees ... personally, I'd like to see the guy sent to the Bats for a couple of weeks.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suarez getting picked off third, might have been the most embarrassing momment as a Reds fan I can remember. I thought Iglesias throwing the to 1st base without any Reds player around for 20' was bad, but that was nothing. Votto not catching Suarez's throw last night hurt too. This team has a lot of mental lapse's on the field to many IMO.

The kind of things that get managers fired

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suarez getting picked off third, might have been the most embarrassing momment as a Reds fan I can remember.

That one gives a whole new meaning to never making the first or last out at third base.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton walking around in the box, bailing out on everything, faking his bunts for strikes, popping up

Billy Hamilton is a very talented athlete, but his natural hitting instincts don't match his physical tools. IMO, it's very similiar to what we endured watching Drew Stubbs.

Billy Hamilton should be a Juan Pierre type slap hitter that rarely strikes out. Instead he whips the bat head through the strike zone hitting flyballs and swinging and missing too often.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nice come from behind win in St. Louis. Another early exit from the starter and 5 scoreless innings from the bullpen allowing the Reds to rally late and sneak out a W. That's been the formula for what seems like every win the Reds have gotten this season.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished the month 11-13, not bad considering how poorly the SP performed. Too many innings for the bullpen to be expected to cover, but overall we've seen several nice performances out the relievers.

Drew Storen and Wandy Peralta have been better than I expected. Lorenzon has been over used, but has been very impressive at times. Iglesias is the most talented of the pitchers on this staff.

Despite players slumping here and there the offense has consistently produced runs.

Scott Schebler continues to hit well. His season has been a Jay Bruce imitation of feast or famine throughout April. Hope he can carry the success over into May.

Adam Duvall went 4-5 yesterday after being mired in a 6-50 slump.

Votto has been steadily raising his average. He hasn't been walking nearly as much this season, but has been hitting the long ball and driving home runs.

Eugenio Suarez has been a consistent performer in the field and at the plate. Really needs to improve his base running though. He's probably the worst base runner on this team.

Cozart has gotten off to a great start this season. Being at or near the top of the league in BA early on and walking 13 times in the month of April. He usually only walks 25-35 times per year, so the 13 walks is surprising. He's cooled down a bit after being moved up in the lineup going 2-12.

Tucker Barnhart continues to be a solid backstop. Mesoraco had a knock in his debut and played a full game. Their lefty/right splits compliment one another if used properly.

Both Billy Hamilton and Jose Peraza need to step it up. Neither warrants playing full time at their current production levels.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the pitching, this team would have won 14 games with Hamilton and Peraza doing a little more. The rest of the offense could add enough runs to keep a starter in the game a tad longer. Scoring 5 or 6 runs hasn't been a problem.

Schebler is the real deal, I think. We will be very surprised. Duvall is already at his norm so expect no less, no more. Suarez will slump at times. It's hard to stay focused and play everyday in the infield.

With Meso back, the Reds have a very strong catching core and if they hang onto Turner, have a righty bat that helps against teams who lean on Loogies.

The problem in the bullpen is lack of experience, naturally, so expect a meltdown from time to time.

Cincy won't be able to fix its rotation problem. Bronson is basically dead in the water and is pitching on balls, not brains. I think Adleman knows his role and has stepped up nicely. Losing Finny will hurt and I think he's going to be shut down for the year. Disco is probably out this year and next. I don't much care about Bailey after all this time.

Could be the Reds move Lorenzen into a starting role since there isn't much choice. Amir Garrett will be good three out of five starts, and he seems the sort to learn from his mistakes. He sho-nuff made some last time.

I got no idea on Rookie Davis or Feldman. Milwaukee ain't that good.

As frustrated as I get, I like this team to win 75 games -- 80 IF we get another quality (competent) starter.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton is killing the Reds At leadoff, but I don't know who you could put there, maybe Cozart then hit Schebler in the 2 hole. then you have outs at the bottom of the lineup. Also you don't know how Schebler will handle batting 2nd. Hamilton has to be in center right? meaning you can't put him on the bench.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton is killing the Reds At leadoff, but I don't know who you could put there, maybe Cozart then hit Schebler in the 2 hole. then you have outs at the bottom of the lineup. Also you don't know how Schebler will handle batting 2nd. Hamilton has to be in center right? meaning you can't put him on the bench.
The only thing I hear is "who we got to replace him?" and the answer apparently is Phil Ervin, who is at Louisville. I doubt he'd be a major upgrade on offense and isn't nearly as good in CF. I think the deal is, you gotta bat BH way down in the order. I'd buy Shebler in leadoff for the moment, while he is hitting.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice bounceback by Garrett. Despite his game-winner, Hamilton still can't hit.
I think the rest of the offense is coming around.
The 0-6 that Cole has against the Reds is living proof that W-L record for pitchers is no longer a useful stat.