• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The second 19

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really is a series when the Reds should be putting their best pitchers on the mound.

Not

sure

who

those

cripples

are.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I don't follow the math with "limiting" Garrett's innings...in May. I know the standings have the Reds in 1st but...Do the Reds expect to be playing in October ?? Well, DO they ? REALLY ?

If so, maybe the Garrett demotion has legs.

Personally, I'd ride the best SP on the (non-DL) staff in May, and pack him up and send him home 175 innings later in early September, with the team 15 games out of post season, or 2 games up.

If it's strictly the convenience of his spot in the rotation being open due to 2 off days in the week, shame on them for not sending anyone else down instead of him and jockeying the rotation by a day up or down. Does it make sense to run Davis out again instead of Garrett ? I don't think so. Davis needs the minors tune up more than Garrett, IMO. Adelman's best attribute is lack of scouting on him. Feldman is a decent 3rd-4th starter on a good team, half the time. He's a long man the other half. Bronson, sadly, is a BP pitcher praying for bad timing, great defense and potent offense. When he gets that, he can win...if he manages to get a lead, and the bullpen can hold a lead for 3-4 innings.

BTW, my offhand statement about no SP with equal odds of pitching 6 innings, wasn't intended to be a slam on Garrett (who I think has been the Reds best SP so far) or quoted stats gospel, just my sarcastic lack of confidence in any given Reds SP of going 6. These guys live and die often, with the oppositions ability to recognize the strike zone...and so far, half of the teams they've played couldn't. IMO, Reds pitchers just don't throw enough strikes IN the zone to get many called strike 3's, and walk so many they have a tougher time NOT throwing predicable fastballs to the hitters after them, and MLB hitters don't miss those much. You can't argue with success, but I can't believe this team can continue to win pitching like this. Possibly, the Pirates and Brewers can pitch / play worse, and the Cardinals have their own pitching holes, but...this rotation looks.. uh...beatable.

I do like the offense potential. I love the steal potential of Hamilton and Peraza...especially if they could both combine to hit better than .230. I haven't seen Suarez back up on a grounder yet, so that's a good sign. I though they were going to have to make him wear shinguards at 3b last year. Dunno how keeping 3 catchers will work out, but if Mesoraco can stay healthy enough to catch half the season and can find his bat again, and Barnhart keeps chugging along, they won't miss the rule 5 passed ball artist they have to give back.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adleman did what Adleman does, unimpressively prove that former indy league pitchers can throw strikes and overcome the occasional towering home run to pitch long enough to get to the bullpen.

I found it amusing tonight when the NYY announcers, gushing over Votto, conceded the Reds "have a good bullpen." I thought -- huh? Really? Then I realized, yeah ... they do.

Meanwhile, the rotation. Garrett was sent down on some time-clock story and I think, to give him some time to reflect. Either way, he's a big-leaguer. Time to treat him like one. But well, that's what they did.

Hamilton is going to kill himself but I gotta like what I see with his renewed approach at the plate.

I think the third 18-game stretch is going to be pretty interesting. This one has proven (except for old Milwaukee) pretty fruitful.

How many innings does Bronson have left?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best Votto has looked in like forever. I hope he keeps it up. When he and Hamilton are rolling, this offense is lethal.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad the Mighty Yankee's (Mighty in NY's mind anyway) are out of town.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might have won both those games, if the Reds would have had another ML pitcher to start Monday night

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're still toying with 1st or 2nd place in late June or July, I might dance when Bailey and Desclafani come back. We might just be able to do something.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yeah. Bring back Garrett already. This is foolishness.

At least Rookie has been sent down. Thank God.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rook needs to get it together. Like almost everyone else, he has "big league stuff" which means the opposition's OBP is around .420.

As far as Homer Bailey is concerned, he will be as effective as Bronson has been. Disco is probably out for the year but they ain't gonna tell us that. He will probably also miss 2018.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will take Rookie's place in the rotation now that he has been sent down? I guess either Reed or Stephenson.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will take Rookie's place in the rotation now that he has been sent down? I guess either Reed or Stephenson.
Reed isn't going to see big-league locker rooms for quite some time. Lisalverto Bonilla is the guy for the moment. Garrett will be back by month's end.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ICYMI, John Lamb takes a 50-game hit for PEDs.
Wasn't pitching anyhow.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no it wasn't PEDs. It was reefer.

Sorry

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamb is basically fucked. I would bet the meds he's on for treatment are worse than the reefer.
All the same, the rule is the rule. He pissed in the wrong jar. He's not pitching for 3 months anyhow.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peralta and Iglesias ... lookin' good.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wandy Peralta continues to throw strikes he's going to be a good one. Plus fastball, really good changeup, and an improving slider.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta think Gennett will get the starts at 2B pretty soon, his doofus play last night excluded.
Peraza is just pressing and it's hard to bat 10th in the order.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the most confidence in Peralta than any other pitcher in the bullpen. When he comes into a game.

Could be time tp sit Peraza for a few games Scooter and Alcantara both are hitting better. Sometimes I think the Reds are more caught up in showing they made good trades than they are putting the best player out there. Rookie Davis is an example of what I'm talking about

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame that one on the pitching, maybe a couple base runner gaffs.

Gotta hate the late west coast start times. I turned the game off after 9 innings and didn't realize I was going to miss the second game. I'm guessing it ended around 3:45 AM here in Cincinnati.