• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Roster: Position Groups- DLine/Linebackers

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks- We've lost track with just how many new faces and names will be on this team. This team is going to look widely different then last year. Take a look at the current roster of this position group- Name some potential starters.

Starting with Dline and Line Backers- This group had many complaining we didn't add enough in the draft... Maybe...maybe not. Let's double check who's now here: (the number after the name is years of service) This is taken from the Bears website per their position listed.

DT:
Brandon Dunn- 1
Ego Ferguson- 2
Eddie Goldman- R
Olson Pierre- R
Jeremiah Ratliff-11
Will Sutton- 2

DE:
Jared Allen- 12 (still listed as DE)
David Bass- 3
Lamarr Houston- 6
Jarvis Jankins- 5
Austin Lane- 4
Ray McDonald- 8
Jemil Merrill- 1
Cornellius Washington- 3
Willie Young- 6

LB: (no distinction between Inside/Outside)
Sam Acho- 5
Jonathan Anderson- R
Jonathan Bostic- 3
Jonathan Brown- 1
Mason Foster- 5
Kaseem Greene- 3
Christian Jones- 2
Dede Latimore- 2
Shea McClenllin- 4
Pernell McPhee- 5
John Timu- R

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting line (man it's weird with a 3-4)

DLINE:
DE- Jarvis Jenkins, Houston, Sutton
DT- Jeremiah Ratliff, Goldman, Ferguson
DE- Ray McDonald, Ferguson, Sutton

OLB- Pernell McPhee, Houston, McClellin?
ILB- Sam Acho, Bostic,
ILB- Mason Foster, Jones,
OLB- Jared Allen/Willy Young?

5 new starters and a position change in Allen/Young... Thoughts?

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good rough draft, Joey. IMO- a 3-4 doesnt fit Ego at all. At best hes an undersized nose...and at this point I dont see him rotating over to DE. I think they might be in a tough spot regarding where he can best be utilized. Sutton, on the other hand could thrive in this system.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Sutton is the nose, as things stand right now.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do. He was a bright spot last season.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Sutton is the nose, as things stand right now.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do. He was a bright spot last season.

Interesting. They must be set at using a one gap tackle if thats the case, because he might be the lightest of all the tackles on the roster.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. They must be set at using a one gap tackle if thats the case, because he might be the lightest of all the tackles on the roster.

I was surprised when I first read it as well. Then I looked it up and saw that he's listed at 303. He was about 322 in college, and I thought I heard he was down to 295-ish. Maybe he's planning on bulking back up to play the nose?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking it was the other way- Sutton was considered a 3 tech. Quick first step, and lighter/smaller then Ego. Either way. He's part of the rotation.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Starting line (man it's weird with a 3-4)

DLINE:
DE- Jarvis Jenkins, Houston, Sutton
DT- Jeremiah Ratliff, Goldman, Ferguson
DE- Ray McDonald, Ferguson, Sutton

OLB- Pernell McPhee, Houston, McClellin?
ILB- Sam Acho, Bostic,
ILB- Mason Foster, Jones,
OLB- Jared Allen/Willy Young?

5 new starters and a position change in Allen/Young... Thoughts?

Acho is an olb/de. He was brought here to rush the passer.

A lot of these guys will probably play multiple positions. I don't think we will be able to neatly categorize them, making our lives difficult!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year we did not have 295 pound defensive ends to switch to the 3-4. Now we have 295 pound interior linemen and they are still too small to play defensive end?

Sure you want the OLB/DE to be 250-260 to out quick the tackles, but the "smaller" defensive tackles are still gonna be inside on the line.

C

cubzzzfanincali

he wasn't cut. They just didn't pick up his year 5 option (only for first rounders under new CBA). But he's still on roster for this season, just not under contract in '16.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, okay. What about Houston? Didn't one of the coaches say he would translate to an olb?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wasn't cut. They just didn't pick up his year 5 option (only for first rounders under new CBA). But he's still on roster for this season, just not under contract in '16.
At least it means the new GM isn't a total butt wad...... Shea will be gone by the 3rd preseason game.....IMO

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears waived Khaseem Greene this past week.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least it means the new GM isn't a total butt wad...... Shea will be gone by the 3rd preseason game.....IMO
Our new DC called him a building block and thinks he will be great. He will get this year to adjust to Ilb for sure. I'm hoping he can be a good player but I don't think living up to his draft pick position will ever happen.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Our new DC called him a building block and thinks he will be great. He will get this year to adjust to Ilb for sure. I'm hoping he can be a good player but I don't think living up to his draft pick position will ever happen.

You know, if there's one guy who can probably make something out of Shea, it is Fangio. I'm not counting on anything, but if he can do a solid job, it would be great.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, if there's one guy who can probably make something out of Shea, it is Fangio. I'm not counting on anything, but if he can do a solid job, it would be great.

I agree, but like you said… do yourself a favor and don't count on it. I can't take another off-season/training camp of listening to people cross their fingers for the guy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The very fact he will be a LB only helps. Other teams were looking at him in the late part of the first round, so there must be talent there. Any way I believe if he can play, Fangio will bring it out of him. It would really be nice to get something out of a young early pick.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The very fact he will be a LB only helps. Other teams were looking at him in the late part of the first round, so there must be talent there. Any way I believe if he can play, Fangio will bring it out of him. It would really be nice to get something out of a young early pick.

This means nothing…

His four years of subpar play in the NFL, however… that is a decent indicator of his abilities.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This means nothing…
It means something. If multiple NFL teams feel you are first round worthy then it means you did good at the college level and it means there must have been a reason to pay attention to said player. His 4 years in the NFL means more. But really IMO this is his best shot at success as now he has a competent staff that will use him to his strengths. I don't think he is as bad as Tucker made him look.