• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to be unhappy about your contract to ask for more money.
I have asked for more money with every job I have held.....

I agree. Maybe 'unhappy' isn't the right word, unsatisfied may be closer to what I'm looking for.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a non-issue to me unless or until Bennett and/or his agent make it an issue and sitting out a voluntary workout is not enough for me to say that he's making it an issue. Some reporter saying he's dissatisfied with his contract and wants more money isn't enough because it's not coming from Bennett or his agent. I know it's easy to jump on the "He's being selfish! He should be happy with what he has and be with his teammates at every workout" bandwagon whenever there's even a rumor of dissatisfaction with a contract a player has signed, but that doesn't mean that we should. Again, I go back to all the rumors and speculation and false reports that have been made about this team in the past year. All of it was a load of crap designed to get people talking and, to a certain extent, create a distraction to the Seahawks for the media to talk about. They love talking about "distractions", real or invented. Let's not continue to make this a thing when it never was a thing and scold Bennett for missing a voluntary workout when he could have had any number of non contract dissatisfaction related reasons for missing it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam .. I just heard again Bennett wants too be traded .... Rumor mill, but it was on King 5 Sports.. Who knows what to think anymore...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam .. I just heard again Bennett wants too be traded .... Rumor mill, but it was on King 5 Sports.. Who knows what to think anymore...
If this has any real legs, just another reason the Seahawks decided they needed a pass rusher in the draft.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this has any real legs, just another reason the Seahawks decided they needed a pass rusher in the draft.

Yep... But man Bennett is a force... Losing him would be a pretty big blow... It would have to be a trade though right ? I mean he is under contract after all ... Unless we just flat out released him, which would be stupid...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... But man Bennett is a force... Losing him would be a pretty big blow... It would have to be a trade though right ? I mean he is under contract after all ... Unless we just flat out released him, which would be stupid...
Yeah, but he's got little leverage. Only way the Seahawks trade him is if they get a haul. And I don't see that happening.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the best trade window would have been some time before April 30th, but who knows. Bennett seems like the type of guy who would just come right out and say it if he truly wanted to be traded. Until that happens, I'm not giving it too much validity.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man doesn't want a trade but wants that pay raise. He shouldn't have signed that contract if he thought he was worth more.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man doesn't want a trade but wants that pay raise. He shouldn't have signed that contract if he thought he was worth more.

Peronally, I would rather have him on the team asking for a raise, than not have him at all.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, this is over with now. He's said, on camera, that he does not want to be traded. He didn't avoid the question or give an answer that could have been interpreted either way. He point blank said "No" when he was asked if he wanted to be traded or had asked to be traded. That should be the end of it. He couldn't have been any clearer about it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, this is over with now. He's said, on camera, that he does not want to be traded. He didn't avoid the question or give an answer that could have been interpreted either way. He point blank said "No" when he was asked if he wanted to be traded or had asked to be traded. That should be the end of it. He couldn't have been any clearer about it.
Yup, time to move to more relevant topics IMO.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peronally, I would rather have him on the team asking for a raise, than not have him at all.

I totally agree, he's a beast up front. I'm sure once training camp kicks into high gear, all this will blow over.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Recently he said this ? Because the topic was brought up not only on sports radio but on the news yesterday... A guy can say all he wants, but when his agent is doing the opposite their has gotta be some truth too the rumors.. It's very clear he's unhappy and wants more money... We can let it rest for now, but don't be surprised if more pops up about this before training camp....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett said Thursday he wants a raise but doesn't want to be traded.

"I think everyone who has a job, they want a raise for whatever they're doing," Bennett said on Seattle's King 5 TV. "I'm just like any other American. I think everybody wants to be paid a little bit more. So I don't think I fall short of that."

Bennett denied reports that he was seeking a trade.

"People assume when you ask for a little more money, they assume that you want to be traded or something like that," he said. "But that's not what I'm trying to go for."

Bennett signed a four-year deal in March 2014 worth $28.5 million with $16 million guaranteed and an $8 million signing bonus.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider has said the team will not renegotiate contracts, but Bennett and agent Drew Rosenhaus may want more of the contract money up front.

The Seahawks made a similar concession last summer to running backMarshawn Lynch, giving him $1.5 million more of his contract in 2014. Lynch recently signed a new deal that will pay him $12 million this season.

Bennett is scheduled to make $6 million in base salary in 2015, $4 million in 2016 and $6 million in 2017. He also has roster bonuses worth $1 million in 2016 and $1.5 million in 2017.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Bennett is looking to just get more of his money up front, then who cares? Give him a restructure this year to $10 million base and remove $1 million base from next year and $3 million from next year. This is also if the Seahawks still have at least $4 million in cap room going into training camp, and this is only because he's been the most consistent player on the defensive line.

IF Bennett is wanting to replace his deal with a top 3 DE contract right now, then too bad, play out the contract.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently he said this ? Because the topic was brought up not only on sports radio but on the news yesterday... A guy can say all he wants, but when his agent is doing the opposite their has gotta be some truth too the rumors.. It's very clear he's unhappy and wants more money... We can let it rest for now, but don't be surprised if more pops up about this before training camp....

Here's the video from king5.com:

Seahawks DE Michael Bennett says he doesn't want trade

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what he's been saying all along... But his agent is doing otherwise ... We'll find out come training camp if he raises a stink about the money situation...

Did his agent officially say anything, or are those just more rumors?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did his agent officially say anything, or are those just more rumors?

We'll find out once training camp hits ... I guess his agent is seeking more money... Bennett can say all he want's, but it's clear their is something up behind the scenes... It won't surprise me if he holds out ... Hopefully that doesn't happen...