• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This situation is now at a breaking point with Bennett going public about his desire for a $3M/yr raise to $10M. And he's missing OTA's. This is the typical fall-out that happens when the QB is up for a big contract and everyone else wants a little more as a result. Schneider is already on record saying the organization won't re-negotiate any deal that has more than 1 year left on it, so something will have to give here.

What would hurt to just ignore this?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin is gone. We just can't carry the salary and he's not an integral part of this team. Someone will offer more than he's worth and Seattle just has too much locked up in the line, Wagner, and the secondary. Seattle went heavy D-Line and grabbed Clark who can play a hybrid LEO/3-4 so whatevs.

Hopefully Quinn signs Irvin to a 5 year $35M deal (Falcons will overpay cause their defense sucks) and we get a compensatory 4th at worst.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Bennett, Seattle will just ignore it. It's EXTREMELY detrimental for a player to just skip a season or purposely perform badly because not happy with their contract. No player or agent would ever let them do that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin is gone. We just can't carry the salary and he's not an integral part of this team. Someone will offer more than he's worth and Seattle just has too much locked up in the line, Wagner, and the secondary. Seattle went heavy D-Line and grabbed Clark who can play a hybrid LEO/3-4 so whatevs.

Hopefully Quinn signs Irvin to a 5 year $35M deal (Falcons will overpay cause their defense sucks) and we get a compensatory 4th at worst.
Falcons drafted Vic Beasley. I don't think they are going to interested in Irvin, next year. They certainly won't want to over pay for him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons drafted Vic Beasley. I don't think they are going to inh u,/. terested in Irvin, next year. They certainly won't want to over pay for him.
/.././
No one will over pay if Irvin has an attitude and plays poorly this season. If he wants his money, quit bitching and play.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually pumped for Irvin this year. He's coming in with a chip on his shoulder and, at his age, this is going to be his one shot at a huge payday. I think he beasts this year.

Then someone will overpay, and then we see if he can maintain. I'm not sure he will. But, as has been said, that's going to be someone elses problem.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually pumped for Irvin this year. He's coming in with a chip on his shoulder and, at his age, this is going to be his one shot at a huge payday. I think he beasts this year.

Then someone will overpay, and then we see if he can maintain. I'm not sure he will. But, as has been said, that's going to be someone elses problem.
Yup, I think your on the money.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very possible. Yet if something like that happens, we get a 4th after expending a 1st only to see him slowly mature as a player, but not as a spokesman. Not really a good investment, but sometimes the FO has to roll the dice to get a unique specimen.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very possible. Yet if something like that happens, we get a 4th after expending a 1st only to see him slowly mature as a player, but not as a spokesman. Not really a good investment, but sometimes the FO has to roll the dice to get a unique specimen.

Looking back at that draft, and the picks made from Irvin to Wags, I don't see any names that jump out at me as players that would have been better fits. I think we did just fine.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at that draft, and the picks made from Irvin to Wags, I don't see any names that jump out at me as players that would have been better fits. I think we did just fine.
My point is from a business standpoint.
Seattle spends a mid 1st round pick on Bruce. Seattle coaches him up and deals with a little of Bruce's baggage for 4 years.
At the peak of his career Irvin departs in FA and Seattle gets a 4th round pick. Maybe even a 3rd round pick.
This is a bad investment. That's all I'm saying. Bruce's deal didn't turn out that great for us.
Side note. This seldom happens, but what if we had solid depth to start at SLB and backup. What might we get for Bruce in an agreed upon by all parties sign and trade before the trade deadline?
Note: in the upcoming FA period next year, some teams will have gobs of cap space and Bruce will probably be one of the top FA LB's out there.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is from a business standpoint.
Seattle spends a mid 1st round pick on Bruce. Seattle coaches him up and deals with a little of Bruce's baggage for 4 years.
At the peak of his career Irvin departs in FA and Seattle gets a 4th round pick. Maybe even a 3rd round pick.
This is a bad investment. That's all I'm saying. Bruce's deal didn't turn out that great for us.
Side note. This seldom happens, but what if we had solid depth to start at SLB and backup. What might we get for Bruce in an agreed upon by all parties sign and trade before the trade deadline?
Note: in the upcoming FA period next year, some teams will have gobs of cap space and Bruce will probably be one of the top FA LB's out there.
I disagree with the "bad investment" part. If he leaves after this year, we will have gotten 3 quality years as a starter and 1 pretty solid one as a situational player, all for a fairly cheap salary, and still get a 4th rounder coming back to us after that? That's not bad at all, specially if leaving after this year for a big money deal probably means he had a superb season. When 50% of 1st round picks don't end up working out, no way is this a "bad" investment when it does.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the "bad investment" part. If he leaves after this year, we will have gotten 3 quality years as a starter and 1 pretty solid one as a situational player, all for a fairly cheap salary, and still get a 4th rounder coming back to us after that? That's not bad at all, specially if leaving after this year for a big money deal probably means he had a superb season. When 50% of 1st round picks don't end up working out, no way is this a "bad" investment when it does.
Fair enough. I suppose I am comparing it to Maxwell who was a great investment as a player verses what we gave up to get him and what we got in return.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I suppose I am comparing it to Maxwell who was a great investment as a player verses what we gave up to get him and what we got in return.

I see your point but flipping Irvin for a 3rd or 4th depending on how he plays and parlaying it into another young talent on the cheap would be a great investment. Hawks wouldn't get a first or second in a trade and no way he's getting big money from them, so let another team over pay and Seattle gets another (hopefully high) comp pick for his efforts.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try comparing it to Carpenter. Maxwell wasn't a first round pick. I get what your saying, it's a shame to lose these guys after all the work put in to making them good, but you know you just can't keep everyone.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bennett seems to think a trip to Hawaii seems nice during training camp. As long as he doesn't come back fat and out of shape then go ahead. Still doesn't mean the FO is going to redo his deal so I guess we'll be seeing him at the end of camp or maybe latest by the second preseason game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett attended mandatory mini-camp. I'll categorize talk of a training camp hold-out as just talk for now.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he's just talking a bit, and in the end he'll be their and do his thing... We'll know once camp starts for sure...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i have said before, if he thinks he outplayed his contract then he is nutts. His last season was not as good as his first which earned him this contract. His numbers fell off last year they did not IMPROVE. he did not earn a new contract in my eyes.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett attended mandatory mini-camp. I'll categorize talk of a training camp hold-out as just talk for now.

Bennett only attended so he wouldn't get fined. I think you might be correct on camp holdout as just talk.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett only attended so he wouldn't get fined. I think you might be correct on camp holdout as just talk.
Right, you get fined for missing mandatory stuff. When he was skipping voluntary workouts, there was speculation of a hold-out and other stuff. But when the choice came down to going to work or getting fined, he went to work.