• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll find out once training camp hits ... I guess his agent is seeking more money... Bennett can say all he want's, but it's clear their is something up behind the scenes... It won't surprise me if he holds out ... Hopefully that doesn't happen...

I think what Bennett said is the truth. He wants more money, but he wants to remain a Seahawk, not be traded or cut.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what Bennett said is the truth. He wants more money, but he wants to remain a Seahawk, not be traded or cut.

That leaves the door open though... Saying he wants to remain a Seahawk and actually remaining a Seahawk are 2 different things... Money talks in the NFL ... When a player openly say's he wants more money a year after signing a contract, this could get ugly.... It won't surprise me if he holds out ... I hope that's not the case, but I'm thinking it could happen... Especially if the Seahawks hold firm

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did my post go?

Sadly many got tired of your on again off again antics this off season about wanting more likes in your post but claiming your didn't want to be traded, (It was viewed by some that your loyally could be enough be traded to the browns for their first pick.) , specially after you just signed your contract last year. So I'm thinking Harold just released you. Which is down right wrong. I'm 100% behind you as you have a been a star for this team. Also I think we could have no problem getting a second round pick from any team in the league. (ones are hard but it only takes one team to fall for a guy, in comparison I'd be a 6th rounder)

:suds::suds:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given more posts suggesting the team offered Wilson 20m/yr I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Wilson is set to earn 1.5m next season. The deal reported to be offered to Wilson would be added on to that, yet the signing bonus would be given to him before the season and spread out over the full 5 years. That really means he is set to earn 16.3m/yr average over the next 5.

This is how they did Sherman's deal and how most of these are done. In exchange for continuing on their currently very low contract, they get a massive signing bonus that gives them a ton of money to make up for it in year one and then spreads out that cost, but the net is you figure that 4 year deal as really being a 5 year deal.

Anyone thinking that Wilson is being selfish for not jumping on the deal really isn't looking at the details. The team offered somewhere just north of 16m/yr (if Oneil's report is accurate of course) and his agent was asking more closer to 24m/yr which is just as ridiculous.

It's called negotiating. Both sides are outside of what is likely and both will posture until someone blinks and a deal gets done. Will it be more 18-20? or 20-22? It won't be 16 and it won't be 24. It's not a coincidence that the more likely 20 is dead in between them.

If no deal gets done then Wilson misses the chance to cash in on a massive signing bonus for this season and team franchises him if a deal can't be done next off season. That too would likely be at least a 5 year deal as spreading out a singing bonus over 5 years is always better than 4 in terms of cap hit.

Wilson will make a lot more money next season if he signs a deal before the season starts. Hell, nothing to stop them from doing it during the season even. He'd still get paid.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bennett wants more money, I guarantee he's not the only one on the team (that isn't a free agent or negotiating an extension) who does or the only one who asked for it. Unfortunately for him, it got out to the public and apparently one reporter in Texas (of all places) took it to mean he wanted out if he didn't get more money. I'll now what I've said before... if he holds out during mandatory mini-camps and/or training camp, it'll be an issue, but for right now, it's a non-issue and I don't expect it to become an issue during camp.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bennett wants more money, I guarantee he's not the only one on the team (that isn't a free agent or negotiating an extension) who does or the only one who asked for it. Unfortunately for him, it got out to the public and apparently one reporter in Texas (of all places) took it to mean he wanted out if he didn't get more money. I'll now what I've said before... if he holds out during mandatory mini-camps and/or training camp, it'll be an issue, but for right now, it's a non-issue and I don't expect it to become an issue during camp.

He's the only one doing it right after he signed his deal... What was it .. LAST YEAR ? That's the part that pretty much sucks.... Let's hope it doesn't end up being an issue come training camp ...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the only one doing it right after he signed his deal... What was it .. LAST YEAR ? That's the part that pretty much sucks.... Let's hope it doesn't end up being an issue come training camp ...

That we know of. I just find it hard to believe that he's the first player to sign a long-term deal, only to feel like he outplayed the terms of the deal in its first year and ask for more money. That it somehow got leaked to that reporter in Texas and was subsequently made public that he asked for more money is probably why we don't seem to hear about it happening more often. These guys are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't. They're expected to play out their contract without asking for more money when they feel like they've outplayed the terms of their deal and if they do, they're considered by many to be greedy and selfish. On the flip side, if a team decides that a player's contract is no longer feasible for them, they'll ask that player to restructure their deal and if they refuse, that player either gets traded or cut on top of being seen as greedy and selfish.

Sure, we're talking about more money than you or I will ever see in our lifetimes, but in terms of being able to adjust the terms of a contract, the teams pretty much have the players over a barrel unless a particular player is making so much money that the team's options are severely limited if they want to avoid taking a massive cap hit for a year or more. Players are just expected to "take one for the team" more often than not until they can opt out of their current deal and/or it comes time to re-up with the opportunity to make more money than they did on the their last deal.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett "I want to be on the All-Finance Team" "That's what is really important to me" "I'm pretty low on that list"

Get real Bennett. Give it a rest and talk football, I'm tired of your mouth talking about money, of which YOU have Plenty.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the downsides of social media and NFL Network making players so much more accessible today than they were 20 or even 10 years ago is that we are going to hear more than just their best material. Some of the silly/stupid things that guys like Bennett and Irvin say wouldn't even have been heard before we were able to get coverage of them 24/7.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the downsides of social media and NFL Network making players so much more accessible today than they were 20 or even 10 years ago is that we are going to hear more than just their best material. Some of the silly/stupid things that guys like Bennett and Irvin say wouldn't even have been heard before we were able to get coverage of them 24/7.

The downfall of society is social media. Back in the old days players were bitching about money,
Forgive an old guy but most everything said on social media we could do without - and we have generations hooked on saying whatever stuoid shit they think.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This situation is now at a breaking point with Bennett going public about his desire for a $3M/yr raise to $10M. And he's missing OTA's. This is the typical fall-out that happens when the QB is up for a big contract and everyone else wants a little more as a result. Schneider is already on record saying the organization won't re-negotiate any deal that has more than 1 year left on it, so something will have to give here.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This situation is now at a breaking point with Bennett going public about his desire for a $3M/yr raise to $10M. And he's missing OTA's. This is the typical fall-out that happens when the QB is up for a big contract and everyone else wants a little more as a result. Schneider is already on record saying the organization won't re-negotiate any deal that has more than 1 year left on it, so something will have to give here.

Bennett will probably miss all the OTA's and some training camp but I have a feeling he'll be back before the end of training camp. He signed a contract and has to know deep down he's not going to win this battle.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett 'trying to get the contract right' - NFL.com

Yup, getting real tired about this guy being in the top 10% of all wage earners in the USA.
Is 10% bracket about right for 7 Million a Year?
Too low? top 5%?

How many people in the USA make more than 7 million a year? Tired of his act.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett and Irvin should both be dealt. Both are begging to play for the Falcons, so let someone else deal with their crap.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett and Irvin should both be dealt. Both are begging to play for the Falcons, so let someone else deal with their crap.

Only problem then is players realize they have the power. All they have to do if they want out is complain. It is why teams rarely back down in these situations. Can't just let every player who wants a new contract whenever to then get their wish. You will have half the team demanding it in a matter of the next couple of years.

As for this situation I could see them doing like what they did with Lynch the year before in offering a bit more in the upfront area. Not so much getting more money but as moving when the money is given. Maybe add a little signing bonus where he gets $10 million this year but the final year is very very cap friendly.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them cry. Don't let it be a big deal. Bennett says he wants to remain a Seahawks , I believe him, Irving may be in for a shock next year, I'm not sure the Falcons are looking to sign him myself. If they want the money they need a good season, so let it happen right here in Seattle.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only problem then is players realize they have the power. All they have to do if they want out is complain. It is why teams rarely back down in these situations. Can't just let every player who wants a new contract whenever to then get their wish. You will have half the team demanding it in a matter of the next couple of years.

As for this situation I could see them doing like what they did with Lynch the year before in offering a bit more in the upfront area. Not so much getting more money but as moving when the money is given. Maybe add a little signing bonus where he gets $10 million this year but the final year is very very cap friendly.

That's exactly right... And that's why Pete and John will hold firm... If they caved in it would send a very bad message ... This whole situation would be different if Bennett hadn't just signed his new contract last year... It's pretty ridiculous he's now complaining about more money... That was something he should a considered before he signed on the dotted line when he actually had the leverage....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly right... And that's why Pete and John will hold firm... If they caved in it would send a very bad message ... This whole situation would be different if Bennett hadn't just signed his new contract last year... It's pretty ridiculous he's now complaining about more money... That was something he should a considered before he signed on the dotted line when he actually had the leverage....
They will hold firm. Bennett will do the usual and then come to play. These things were bound to happen, no big deal .

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in 2014 after the 2013 superbowl he got a new contract that paid him above fair market value for his production. His production did not i repeat DID NOT improve over his 2013 campaign to warrant a new contract. The way he talks it's like he had 15 sacks 60 tackles and 5 FF. He did not come even close to those numbers even though he plays a TON of snaps. What i mean is he is on the field SO much that he should be getting better numbers than he has. his 2013 post season was head and shoulders better than his 2014 post season. He in my eyes degraded his value this past season and he wants more money? what a joke. he is a good player but not a top 10 DE in the league so asking for top 7 money is BS.

like i said before in this thread
I saw a snaps vs production of the pass rushers last December and Bennett was ranked 27th in the NFL. They based this on how many snaps the player plays so there were guys that had like 100 less snaps but more production ahead of Bennett ( and rightfully so as they were having more success ). Bennett is a stud because he can play outside as a DE and inside and be effective but he is not a top 10 edge rusher and he is not a top 10 inside rusher. Bennett has never even had a 10 sack season and should be paid for his production and i believe he is WELL paid for his production. I also believe he is very important to how this team likes to play and he knows this. I also feel if Lynch can skip workouts then a player as good as Bennett that plays so many snaps and is 29 years old should be excused from some of the workouts. I think many people forget he is coming to the end of his career all ready and his numbers are in decline the past 3 seasons ( 9, 8.5, 7 sacks )

Sorry Bennett you are not as good as you think you are.

Last edited: