• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is a good guy, a family man. For all we know, when negotiating his contract last year, he told them that if he was going to take less than market value, that he wasn't going to leave his kids for voluntary stuff during the off-season. That's what I would do, it's called give and take.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: It's different if their on the last year of a contract, but too whine right after you sign a new deal is just sour milk .... I really like Bennett he's a helluva player, but the time to negotiate was before he happily signed his new deal...

Where is he whining?

He has said that he's happy with his situation in Seattle.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is a good guy, a family man. For all we know, when negotiating his contract last year, he told them that if he was going to take less than market value, that he wasn't going to leave his kids for voluntary stuff during the off-season. That's what I would do, it's called give and take.
Well, ok, who knows what sort of informal type agreement or understanding they had. But if he's choosing not to have his family/kids live in the vicinity of where he's working, then that's his problem. It's a situation he's created, not one the Seahawks have created by the contract they agreed to a year ago.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, ok, who knows what sort of informal type agreement or understanding they had. But if he's choosing not to have his family/kids live in the vicinity of where he's working, then that's his problem. It's a situation he's created, not one the Seahawks have created by the contract they agreed to a year ago.

He hasn't missed any work. And you could say that the Hawks created the situation by not making the workout mandatory.

Last edited:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Then why would we be having this conversation ? Clearly he want more $

We're having this conversation because the news cycle has created a narrative driven by a single statement by some Cowboys beat writer. Bennett has denied asking for more money, and so has the team. Him missing a VOLUNTARY workout doesn't necessarily mean that he's "whining" about his contract. It could mean lots of things.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett was at WeDay (John Schneiders charity event) yesterday hanging out with his teammates. What an ingrate.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett was at WeDay (John Schneiders charity event) yesterday hanging out with his teammates. What an ingrate.

No one said he was an ingrate ... he wants more money, what does that have to do with hanging out at a charity event ?? Dude common ...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said he was an ingrate ... he wants more money, what does that have to do with hanging out at a charity event ?? Dude common ...

Not just any charity event. One hosted by the GM who he's apparently demanding more money from. Even though nobody other than some out of the loop clown in Dallas has claimed this.

What's the real concern here? That it will cause a rift?That he won't be there when it matters? Like Dude82 said, until that point it's just noise.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years Seahawks fans wanted more media attention, feeling the team was being slighted. Well, here's the media attention that everyone has been hoping for. Half stories, half information, full panic!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just any charity event. One hosted by the GM who he's apparently demanding more money from. Even though nobody other than some out of the loop clown in Dallas has claimed this.

What's the real concern here? That it will cause a rift?That he won't be there when it matters? Like Dude82 said, until that point it's just noise.

They can still attend a charity event together... That's not gonna change the issue that Bennett wants more money.... And of course it's just noise, but they're is some truth to the fact that Bennett is not happy with what he signed... Whether he holds out is yet to be seen...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not to worried about Bennett and his contract. Players know the Seahawks are not redoing a contract after one year into the contract. Bennett has no leverage.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not to worried about Bennett and his contract. Players know the Seahawks are not redoing a contract after one year into the contract. Bennett has no leverage.

Bingo.

Bennett knows this. He may be unhappy about his contract, but that doesn't mean shit. Lots of guys want to make more money. Doesn't mean they're "whining" or "demanding more". I work with lots of people who work under contract. Many of them are unhappy at one time or another with a contract, doesn't mean they don't honor it, they just dont do stuff like voluntary things.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't missed any work. And you could say that the Hawks created the situation by not making the workout mandatory.
Yeah, ok. Rationalize it all you want, but other team leaders are figuring out how to be there. Bennett is doing wrong by their standard.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making personal decisions, so easy to do from afar.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, ok. Rationalize it all you want, but other team leaders are figuring out how to be there. Bennett is doing wrong by their standard.

If other team leaders have a problem with it, I think they will let him know. It's not like it is unusual for vets to miss volunteer work outs. Lynch has been doing that for years, and I think it saves wear and tear on a body that takes a lot of abuse. Remember Bennett has played with a tear in his...OK I forget exactly where that medical problem is, but it's there.
Much ado over a small thing IMO.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now THIS is what leaders are made of.
Yup! Guys like Harvin will tell you sorry, I know I just signed for all that big money and yeah the Seahawks docs say I can get by without surgery, but you know what? I got to look out for myself. I'm getting the surgery suckers.
The coaching staff may actually be a OK with Bennett missing volunteer work outs, in fact they may feel it's wise.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo.

Bennett knows this. He may be unhappy about his contract, but that doesn't mean shit. Lots of guys want to make more money. Doesn't mean they're "whining" or "demanding more". I work with lots of people who work under contract. Many of them are unhappy at one time or another with a contract, doesn't mean they don't honor it, they just dont do stuff like voluntary things.
You don't have to be unhappy about your contract to ask for more money.
I have asked for more money with every job I have held.....