• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting

What are your thoughts on Targeting?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Let them play

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Bring back leather helmets

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Maybe we should just go to 7 on 7

• 2 hand touch below the waist

• I love Mike Periera and replays

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Tuna Salad Sandwich

• Players should respect each others space and just fall down before being tackled

• I love soccer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bobby Boucher needs to give tackling lessons

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200w.gif

that looks completely ridiculous and.... just dumb. tbh.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the nobody who has done nothing, while criticizing the winningest cfb coach EVER, lol. TOO funny!!!
nobody that has done nothing? Compared to what?

I make more than him. Again, it's division 3, if you think football is football, you're a fool. But hey, you are fredsdeadfriend, we already knew you were a fool.

Look at you foolishly avoiding the targeting aspect. Ah, I love it when people live up to the expectations people have for them.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody that has done nothing? Compared to what?

I make more than him. Again, it's division 3, if you think football is football, you're a fool. But hey, you are fredsdeadfriend, we already knew you were a fool.

Look at you foolishly avoiding the targeting aspect. Ah, I love it when people live up to the expectations people have for them.
OMG, you make more than a Div 3 cfb coach, so that means you HAVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT FOOTBALL??? lol

Dang, you are especially STUPID

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s getting ridiculous. Games stoops 3-4 times for targeting reviews. Call the blatantly obvious ones and let the kids play

Slag

Boots. And Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The helmet to helmet ones I agree with. But yesterday saw several when they led with the shoulder and still got called.
so the rules did change they included viscous hits now. So if a DB comes across and lays the wood and it was a clean hit just because he lays out the other player he gets ejected. That I don’t agree with.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s getting ridiculous. Games stoops 3-4 times for targeting reviews. Call the blatantly obvious ones and let the kids play
The ones that really irritate me are the ones they reach call targeting….. because it “looked” like a vicious hit. But the “victim” pops up and isn’t phased in the least. Ive even seen smirks on their faces knowing the get a huge boost in their drive and the good opposing player is gone. The majority of targeting is not intentional.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line to me… Human physiology tells us that walking and running is a series of being off-balance and balance corrections: ie. We lean forward and take a step to correct it and that’s how me move.
Point is, running at a full-on sprint is a MASSIVE forward “lean” and someone sprinting is naturally coming on head first. (Thinking mostly about rushing the QB here). IMO, make every effort to avoid helmet to helmet contact, and make an effort to pull up once the ball is thrown. That’s it.

I have very mixed feelings on “defenseless receiver” rules. I feel like the D has every right to try to jar the ball loose and a hard hit is the potential price for going over the middle. Again, I’d say limit penalties to helmet to helmet contact. A Welker or Edelman type WR should not have carte blanche to own the middle of the field, and the D should not have to cede it to them…

Last thing: I thought there WAS a rule that was supposed to penalize RBs for ducking their head. Did they scrap it?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG, you make more than a Div 3 cfb coach, so that means you HAVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT FOOTBALL??? lol

Dang, you are especially STUPID
You literally make no sense. Who said anything about that? You brought up something random and also completely fucking retarded. Tried to walk it back a bit, you should have just apologized to the board for that nonsense and let it die.

Who gives a fuck about some div 3 nobody coach? Division 3 HoF is the equivalent of Walmarts employee of the month, you should know. You killed it as greeter.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones that really irritate me are the ones they reach call targeting….. because it “looked” like a vicious hit. But the “victim” pops up and isn’t phased in the least. Ive even seen smirks on their faces knowing the get a huge boost in their drive and the good opposing player is gone. The majority of targeting is not intentional.
It's hard to categorize and set objective standards for what is a "bang-bang" play. Slow motion can make stuff look intentional that isn't.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no consistency in the call. You watch one game and it is called every quarter on any big hit it seems. The next game you watch, those hits don't draw a flag or review. It's very aggravating when you have conditioned yourself to what is and isn't targeting and then what you see isn't called the way you've come to understand the rule based on pervious calls.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no consistency in the call. You watch one game and it is called every quarter on any big hit it seems. The next game you watch, those hits don't draw a flag or review. It's very aggravating when you have conditioned yourself to what is and isn't targeting and then what you see isn't called the way you've come to understand the rule based on pervious calls.

4 targeting calls last night. In the first half... I guess the refs got a call at half time and was like WTF is going on??

2 were not even called on the field... You have some yahoo up in the booth with slow mo over analyzing everything.

Then the very next play after a targeting call.... you have RB's lowering their heads launching into piles of bodies... busting people in the helmet .... that's never considered targeting??? IDK.

Interference can be offensive or defensive... Targeting can only be committed on defense... and those guys lose games...

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Ole Miss game two of the 4 trageting calls were called from the booth. One was on an offensive
block.

They began the rule to protect players from cheap shot artists. You cannot protect the players by designing better helmets
because that just makes the helmet more of a weapon.

The penalty needs to be more severe. Ejection for the rest of that game and suspended for the next game. Players do not
learn to tackle in games...they learn in practice. The coaches will not be slapping their players on the butt after they've
been ejected from a game for targeting, they'll be teaching them how to deliver a blow without it being a cheap
shot.

A few years back they started forcing players to go to the sideline if their helmet cam off during a play. We went a few years,
with very few helmets coming off...now were are back to seeing helmets pop off their heads. Just watch players remove
their helmets on the sidelines. Half of them don't even unsnap their chin straps. Their helmts are too loose on their heads.

Coaches don't care losing a player for a play. Change the penalty to...You cannot return to the field for that series and you'll see
tight fitting helmets being demanded by the coaching staff.

This stuff begins and ends with coaches. You teach them to cheap shot an opponent, they'll cheap shot an opponent. You do not
demand that helmet fit the player properly, the players will just slip them on or off like slippers.

You can only expect what you demand.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalty needs to be more severe. Ejection for the rest of that game and suspended for the next game.

IF you want that to be the penalty, there needs to be a better defined and universal understanding and enforcement of the rule. The major problem I see is the fact that it's a complete subjective call with no consistency. What is targeting in one game isn't in the next. Think about the fumble in the OSU/Minn game Thursday night. That penalty would have been called and upheld in many games this weekend, but (somehow) was called in that game.

Players do not learn to tackle in games...they learn in practice. The coaches will not be slapping their players on the butt after they've
been ejected from a game for targeting, they'll be teaching them how to deliver a blow without it being a cheap
shot.

Are you going to eject a player every time there is helmet to helmet contact? In many instances, the defensive player is leading with his shoulder (hence, not a cheap shot) and the offensive play dips his head and initiates the helmet to helmet. The offensive player is never flagged. If you are, then you better carry 3-4 deep on the defensive side.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF you want that to be the penalty, there needs to be a better defined and universal understanding and enforcement of the rule. The major problem I see is the fact that it's a complete subjective call with no consistency. What is targeting in one game isn't in the next. Think about the fumble in the OSU/Minn game Thursday night. That penalty would have been called and upheld in many games this weekend, but (somehow) was called in that game.

Are you going to eject a player every time there is helmet to helmet contact? In many instances, the defensive player is leading with his shoulder (hence, not a cheap shot) and the offensive play dips his head and initiates the helmet to helmet. The offensive player is never flagged. If you are, then you better carry 3-4 deep on the defensive side.
In the Ole Miss game, a Louisville Blocker on their kickoff return team was ejected for targeting. (Offensive player).

There is an old football adage that goes back to 1869..."You play the game with your head up and your ass down. You don't lead
with the crown of your helmet. And I gotta tell ya...that is dangerous to the player doing the tackling also. That kid from Rutgers
broke his neck, years back by leading with the crown of his helmet. The rules of what is targeting are very specific. They don't call
incidental contact on helmet to helmet. They call "launching" and leading with the crown. Ideally you want to tackle by placing your
face mask between the numbers and wrap and lift. They will call targeting now for doing that when a player gets high on the
numbers and then drives his helmet upward. The chin strap does not offer much protection to your chin and/or neck.

As for you initial complaint about leading with a shoulder. When the defensive player keeps his head up they will not call that...but you
lower your head and you are leading with the shoulder AND the helmet, you are gone.

There was a movie back in the late 60's that centered on Coaches teaching that stuff. It was call "Footsteps." Any good coach
would gladly give up a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty early in the game that would have the receivers looking all
around to see who was going to dislodge their head when they came across the middle. You don't catch many passes when you
are more concerned with having your head removed, rather than looking at the ball.

In the 70's, High Schools started ejecting players for "spearing." That wasn't just on head contact but anywhere on the body.
The rule was horribly enforced because officials did not want to eject players. Then some states and/or leagues pressed their
officials and they started calling it and within two years, the rule was hardly used because coaches stoppe teaching players
to spear.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't call incidental contact on helmet to helmet.

Yes they do. I don't know what game you are watching, but incidental helmet to helmet is called as targeting in many occasions. Again, it depends on the officials. That is the biggest problem. In one game it's targeting, in the other it's not