• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Surtain vs Champ

Who are you choosing?

• Total voters

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious after talking to DC today, who you'd take as a FA or draft first.

Champ Bailey after his second year, or Surtain?

Personally I have no clue.
Champ played some WR and returner.
Surtain has not as yet branched out on the field.
Champ had more PBI's and Int's, but Surtain has a higher position rating after year two.

Thoughts?

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With perfect 20/20 hindsight? Champ Baily all day every day and it's not even close. Bailey had a HoF career.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you have me stressed out trying to come up with an answer.

This is tough compared on two years. The WR part doesn't make too much of a difference to me. Champ gambled a bit more in his early years and was flagged a big more. Surtain is more of a technician and not a gambler early on in his career. Surtain is more fine tuned on his coverage skills after year two then Champ was and both showed good ability to tackle. Champ more athletic but Surtain more physical.

It is early but Surtain looks well on his way to being up there in the convo with Champ. A ways to go obviously as we are talking about a hall of famer but he looks REALLY REALLY good. Teams totally avoid him (minus the Raiders second game where Adams got the best of him a bit but hey it proved he was human) Champ baited CB's more. It allowed him to make more plays the Surtain early in his career but it also could be costly at times. If you recall some Redskins fans were thrilled about the Portis trade because Champ was known for giving up some bg plays based on baiting. Really didn't seem to be a problem when he was in Denver.. The only issue we had with him was his final year with the lisfranic injury he just couldn't move the way he did before and that was the end of his career. He battled that late his second to last season year all through his final season. Champ made more plays, but Surtain has given up less in coverage his first two years. As his career went on Champ become less of a baiter although he was great at it. Champ tackled so well in the open field. Surtain's physicality and strength are huge for him. I think when all is said and done this will be great debate to have in terms of "who had the better overall career" and the answer will likely be tough and that is great! :) If we base it off career then of course it is a no brainer and it is Champ because he is a HOF and Surtain is only finishing two years. If we base it off their first two years in the NFL then I would probably give the slight edge to Surtain just because his overall consistency in coverage has been better. These two are a DB lovers dream to have on his own team. :)

I think the debate going forward, for many years to come in the NFL, is going to be Surtain vs Sauce.

Derek Stingley is going to be fun too if the Texans can get some help around him.

A lot of good young CB's right now including

Tariq Woolen- Seahawks (Steal of this years draft)
Tre'Davis White- Bills (once he gets fully healthy)
Jaire Alexander- Packers (Maybe the most underrated CB)
Jack Jones- Patriots (Got hurt but looked like a draft day steal
Chardavious Ward- 49ers (Glad the Chiefs lost him to the 9ers, could be the best tackling CB in the NFL)
Jaycee Horn- Panthers

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id take either. to me both are similar regarded as shut down corners. not many true shutdown corners over the years.

draft value wise from the Broncos perspective Champ was free vs a first round cost for PS2.

portis was a 2nd but we got a 2nd back iirc
who became Tatum Bell.

i guess i would give the nod then to Champ who did not require draft capital.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the question amounts to little more than mental masturbation, Surtain has yet to be chased down by a TE. :nono: :D

Seriously, when I think of Surtain I am reminded of Champ’s effectiveness. That’s a jewel for our D. Huge, right?

While I love Pat’s game nobody moves like Champ. He was part cat. Both players tackle well for the position. Champ was a prodigious open field tackler.

Surtain is a pro’s pro. When I think about him I feel as if Champ has finally been properly replaced. Good stuff.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Deion moved like champ. Nobody really moved like Deion at CB but Champ tackled.

Really hard to pick one of these guys when you talk about strictly what they have done after two years.

Draft capital, what Champ did his entire career aside from those variables, since the question what’s “who would you take after their first two years?” That question is hard. I am still going to give the slight edge to Patrick because of his coverage numbers over Champ's first two years and only for that reason. Ask this question when Pat retires and it will be interesting to see who the answer is.

Champ without a doubt would be the answer if you had to go with their overall career as we obviously don't have enough on Pat to go with him overall a hall of famer career wise.

Both are/were studs and that is a great thing. Hard to find many CB's who had a better overall career then Champ.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even discounting the rest of Champs career I take him after year 2.

I would also take either one of them over any Lions CB all the way back to 1967...then I still take Champ

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the question amounts to little more than mental masturbation, Surtain has yet to be chased down by a TE. :nono: :D

Seriously, when I think of Surtain I am reminded of Champ’s effectiveness. That’s a jewel for our D. Huge, right?

While I love Pat’s game nobody moves like Champ. He was part cat. Both players tackle well for the position. Champ was a prodigious open field tackler.

Surtain is a pro’s pro. When I think about him I feel as if Champ has finally been properly replaced. Good stuff.
One of the great hustle moments of all time. Loved rewatching that. Thanks.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d take Champ. Surtain is great though

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ really was cat-like. Great analogy.

And frankly, mental masterbation is all we have for a while, so deal with it. ;)

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ really was cat-like. Great analogy.

And frankly, mental masterbation is all we have for a while, so deal with it. ;)
Jaime Harrison GIF by Election 2020