• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sorry to post this, but the Heat badly whiffed on Dame - In large part due to sheer arrogance

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,656.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The smooth brains who think that this is about Heat don't understand how negotiation works and/or are just seeing what they want.

If anything, Portland acted like butthurt little bitches...much like OP.
Yep.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have added a 3rd team, but they never got a chance because the Blazers wouldn't answer the phone.

That’s miamis job to move Herro for pciks and put something together

I already addressed that and Hollinger said the same in one of his articles about the dame trade

Miamis initial offer was arguably less than the Chris Paul trade, you don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt for that

To be fair, miamis best offer would’ve been before drafting Jacquez because port didn’t need 23 year old senior first rounders, jr just shows how much of a bad franchise they are that they drafted one anyway

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s miamis job to move Herro for pciks and put something together

I already addressed that and Hollinger said the same in one of his articles about the dame trade

Miamis initial offer was arguably less than the Chris Paul trade, you don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt for that

To be fair, miamis best offer would’ve been before drafting Jacquez because port didn’t need 23 year old senior first rounders, jr just shows how much of a bad franchise they are that they drafted one anyway

It seems like you don't understand negotiation.

You don't open with your best offer. There was nothing wrong with Miami's opening offer as it was an opening offer to gauge what Portland wanted. Portland stopped responding to them shortly after that. As much as some folks wanted to disparage him...Herro is an All-Star caliber 2 guard. Portland not wanting him wasn't about him not being good, it was that Portland didn't think he filled a need and didn't want to have to do the work to turn around and flip him themselves.

Portland was upset that Dame wanted out, they were upset that Dame tried to limit their ability to get the best deal possible by poisoning the well and apparently decided that there was no way they were giving Dame what he wanted, so they simply refused to negotiate with the Heat.

This has nothing to do with "Heat arrogance" no matter how hard you and OP try to make it about that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like you don't understand negotiation.

You don't open with your best offer. There was nothing wrong with Miami's opening offer as it was an opening offer to gauge what Portland wanted. Portland stopped responding to them shortly after that. As much as some folks wanted to disparage him...Herro is an All-Star caliber 2 guard. Portland not wanting him wasn't about him not being good, it was that Portland didn't think he filled a need and didn't want to have to do the work to turn around and flip him themselves.

Portland was upset that Dame wanted out, they were upset that Dame tried to limit their ability to get the best deal possible by poisoning the well and apparently decided that there was no way they were giving Dame what he wanted, so they simply refused to negotiate with the Heat.

This has nothing to do with "Heat arrogance" no matter how hard you and OP try to make it about that.

i want to be in your fantasy league so I can offer you Ryan Tannehill for Mahomes and you can say there's nothing wrong with that offer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want to be in your fantasy league so I can offer you Ryan Tannehill for Mahomes and you can say there's nothing wrong with that offer.

You've already shown that you know nothing about negotiation...no need to keep proving it.

OP has irrational hate for the Heat and you're butthurt because they took out your Celtics.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've already shown that you know nothing about negotiation...no need to keep proving it.

OP has irrational hate for the Heat and you're butthurt because they took out your Celtics.

I said from the beginning I didn’t think they had the assets unless someone really liked Herro

If Herro was a borderline all star he could’ve gone for 2 firsts and they can get a deal done

But the heat never came close to a top offer

Once Portland chose this path it was clear miamj was out of the running

And negotiating you don’t start off by insulting them

You seem to be missing that part

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said from the beginning I didn’t think they had the assets unless someone really liked Herro

If Herro was a borderline all star he could’ve gone for 2 firsts and they can get a deal done

Not sure what part of "Portland refused to state what they wanted and wouldn't answer the phone" you are struggling with.

And lol @calling an initial offer that includes an All-Star caliber shooting guard an "insult".

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what part of "Portland refused to state what they wanted and wouldn't answer the phone" you are struggling with.

And lol @calling an initial offer that includes an All-Star caliber shooting guard an "insult".

If he was all star caliber there would've been a market for him.

We saw the lack of market for him.

Maybe the entire NBA is wrong. It does happen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's aiming low with your first offer and then there's being insulting. The initial offer for Dame could not be taken seriously.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would’ve preferred Miami empty the war chest for this trade

Now when dame falls off a cliff Miami will be the top target for Gianni’s and have more picks available than they do now

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would’ve preferred Miami empty the war chest for this trade

Now when dame falls off a cliff Miami will be the top target for Gianni’s and have more picks available than they do now

Giannis will most likely sign his extension a year from now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was all star caliber there would've been a market for him.

We saw the lack of market for him.

Maybe the entire NBA is wrong. It does happen.
yah not sure why anyone struggles to acknowledge the fact that teams might not want to have given up much for the honor of paying Tyler Herro tons and tons of money.

with what Portland got from Boston for Holliday it sure seems they got more in the 2 deals then they would have from the Miami deal- especially if they did not believei n Herro and didnt want to pay him 30 million a year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's aiming low with your first offer and then there's being insulting. The initial offer for Dame could not be taken seriously.

There's negotiating and there's not returning calls or answering calls. Portland chose the latter. Not real difficult to understand.

lol @offering an All Star caliber guard in your initial offer being insulting.

Pro-Tip...if Cane and/or Wiggy agrees with you, real good chance that you're wrong.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's negotiating and there's not returning calls or answering calls. Portland chose the latter. Not real difficult to understand.

lol @offering an All Star caliber guard in your initial offer being insulting.

Pro-Tip...if Cane and/or Wiggy agrees with you, real good chance that you're wrong.

Stop trying to make fetch a thing

You know who an all star caliber guard is?

Lillard

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop trying to make fetch a thing

You know who an all star caliber guard is?

Lillard

So offering a young all star caliber guard for an old all star caliber guard is "insulting".

Brilliant take.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So offering a young all star caliber guard for an old all star caliber guard is "insulting".

Brilliant take.

Except he’s not that

He’s not even maxey and he’s not yet that

He’s not Haliburton

All star caliber is like a top 7-10 guard in the conference

He’d be 4th best on the Celtics alone

He’s more of a Jordan poole right now

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except he’s not that

He’s not even maxey and he’s not yet that

He’s not Haliburton

All star caliber is like a top 7-10 guard in the conference

He’d be 4th best on the Celtics alone

He’s more of a Jordan poole right now
In fairness we don’t know if he can take a punch better than Poole or not

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How nice I'm being referenced when not around.

Maybe, just maybe, the Heat fucked up and it's you that's got the irrational hate for the Celtics...

And FYI, the original post had absolutely nothing to do w/ "Miami's initial offer". It was a completely separate negotiation before free agency and before Lillard asked out.

Negotiating 101: If you hope to acquire a 32 PPG scorer, it's probably not good for business to openly mock the opposing GM beforehand. "Good faith" does in fact matter and that is where the Heat dropped the ball.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.