• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sorry to post this, but the Heat badly whiffed on Dame - In large part due to sheer arrogance

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And go watch that denver series or the games 4-7 of the boston series and tell me herro wasn't missed. Truth be told once Jimmy play came down a bit after twisting his ankle game 1 vs the knicks, you saw exactly where herro was missed

Not missed doesn’t mean he’s the centerpiece of a major star deal

Especially on a contract that is not a bargain

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And go watch that denver series or the games 4-7 of the boston series and tell me herro wasn't missed. Truth be told once Jimmy play came down a bit after twisting his ankle game 1 vs the knicks, you saw exactly where herro was missed
I hate this conversation because it always comes off like I’m dissing a really good player. He’s a very good player and he’s important to the Heat’s success. While he may have gotten better as a defender or a playmaker he’s coming from a very low bar that was set when he came into the league. I hope he’s improved there because those things had been subpar. This is why he used to come off the bench up until last year (? I think I have that time table right). I’m likely inflating Derrick White but I’m not gonna apologize for that. I place a high value on two way players when I assess players. We’ve gone back and forth enough through the years where you know I’m not just taking a convenient stance here.

I will agree with you that what was done to his name this summer was unjust. He was run down for no reason because he was the best tradable asset the Heat had and Portland was guard heavy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't comparing him to them necessarily. I just think it is dumb to talk about his efficiency when it's up there with some of the best guards/small forwads in basketball who are primarily jump shooters. The 3 i mentioned of all better than him
If we put together your perfect Heat roster is Herro the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option? (We’re being realistic here not some 92 Dream Team shit)

My guess is he’s the third option in your eyes. That brings him down from 16-20 shots to around 10-12 shots per game. With only 10-12 shots you need that guy to be efficient. Or you need him to have an elite NBA skill beyond scoring. Is that his defense? Is that his playmaking? Is that his shooting? I don’t think Herro possesses elite ability in any of those metrics.

I think Derrick White brings elite defense and the ability to check the other team’s best perimeter player and make it tough on that dude. I think that skill becomes even more valuable in the playoffs. I think he’s “good enough” as a shooter, passer, scorer. I’m not sure what Herro does that’s elite.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we put together your perfect Heat roster is Herro the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option? (We’re being realistic here not some 92 Dream Team shit)

My guess is he’s the third option in your eyes. That brings him down from 16-20 shots to around 10-12 shots per game. With only 10-12 shots you need that guy to be efficient. Or you need him to have an elite NBA skill beyond scoring. Is that his defense? Is that his playmaking? Is that his shooting? I don’t think Herro possesses elite ability in any of those metrics.

I think Derrick White brings elite defense and the ability to check the other team’s best perimeter player and make it tough on that dude. I think that skill becomes even more valuable in the playoffs. I think he’s “good enough” as a shooter, passer, scorer. I’m not sure what Herro does that’s elite.
3rd option but i disagree on the shot attempts. If you have a big 3, all are usually at 13-14 shots or more. I can find a lot of recent big 3s and you wont normally see that 3rd guy under 13 attempts

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not using the word “efficient” to describe any of those dudes if we’re being honest. Mitchell and Dame have both scored 70+ in a game. Those guys can catch fire and are exceptional scorers. Herro isn’t that guy.

How many times have they scored 70+ in a game?

That's an odd qualifier.

Wilt scored 100 in a game...Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq never did that...but I'm taking them over Wilt.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example @fightinfunbags i looked at the bucks from 2 years ago since middy was hurt and on minutes restriction last year, holiday was at over 14 shots per game, middy at over 15, and giannis at over 18.

10 or 11 shots is a very low # for a 3rd option unless they are a draymond/ben simmons type of 3rd option

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd option but i disagree on the shot attempts. If you have a big 3, all are usually at 13-14 shots or more. I can find a lot of recent big 3s and you wont normally see that 3rd guy under 13 attempts
That’s 5-6 makes a game and about 14–15 PPG from a one way player. Last year White was 12.5 PPG on only 8.5 shots per game. I’m taking that and the elite D all day long.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have they scored 70+ in a game?

That's an odd qualifier.

Wilt scored 100 in a game...Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq never did that...but I'm taking them over Wilt.
Herro’s career high is 41. Im just saying those guys are elite scorers. I’m trying to isolate a certain skill. I posted their career highs to help substantiate them as elite scorers. In fact, Dame has gone 6-7 game stretches where he has averaged Herro’s career high.

Either way @bksballer89 clarified and said he wasn’t putting Herro up there with those guys anyway.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s 5-6 makes a game and about 14–15 PPG from a one way player. Last year White was 12.5 PPG on only 8.5 shots per game. I’m taking that and the elite D all day long.
Thats fine. I made 2 points regarding this

1) it depends on the needs of a team

2) i prefer herro over white as a 3rd option

That's all

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example @fightinfunbags i looked at the bucks from 2 years ago since middy was hurt and on minutes restriction last year, holiday was at over 14 shots per game, middy at over 15, and giannis at over 18.

10 or 11 shots is a very low # for a 3rd option unless they are a draymond/ben simmons type of 3rd option
Fair. And to substantiate your point, regular season Jimmy doesn’t need to hoist a ton of shots. He takes the “right” play the defense gives them.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fine. I made 2 points regarding this

1) it depends on the needs of a team

2) i prefer herro over white as a 3rd option
For the Heat? With Jimmy (just made the comment about regular season Jimmy) and Bam I agree that Herro is a better fit for their Big 3. If I’m able to just start a team from scratch with no boundaries, I’m gonna D White over Herro all day long. Not gonna do it now but I would venture to say D White is a better 3rd option than Herro on current NBA rosters to the tune of a ratio that approximates 2:1.

And fuck you Celtics guys for the fact that he’s probably the fifth option up there behind the Jays Porzingas and Jrue.
That's all

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Heat? With Jimmy (just made the comment about regular season Jimmy) and Bam I agree that Herro is a better fit for their Big 3. If I’m able to just start a team from scratch with no boundaries, I’m gonna D White over Herro all day long. Not gonna do it now but I would venture to say D White is a better 3rd option than Herro on current NBA rosters to the tune of a ratio that approximates 2:1.

And fuck you Celtics guys for the fact that he’s probably the fifth option up there behind the Jays Porzingas and Jrue.
I mean herro need to be around 2 guys that complement him well so for example white is a much better fit than him on boston than herro since their top 2 are perimeter players

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean herro need to be around 2 guys that complement him well so for example white is a much better fit than him on boston than herro since their top 2 are perimeter players
I generally want my ideal 3rd option to be efficient on limited shots while also bringing elite defense. I want my top 2 options to do what Herro does but better.

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Herro is our 2nd option on offense and our 3rd best player. He’s the only one who can create his own offense besides Jimmy.

As far as Derrick White, yes he’s a much better defender than Herro, but I’m not gonna call him the better player. Would you call White a better player than Maxey?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herro is our 2nd option on offense and our 3rd best player. He’s the only one who can create his own offense besides Jimmy.

As far as Derrick White, yes he’s a much better defender than Herro, but I’m not gonna call him the better player. Would you call White a better player than Maxey?
No he wouldn't because he thinks Maxey is better than Donovan Mitchell

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope. Not sure why this is a question when Maxey is better than White and Herro.

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he wouldn't because he thinks Maxey is better than Donovan Mitchell
Lol. He must be joking

Then again, he did at one time believe Embiid’s a better player than Jokic. Lol

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Not sure why this is a question when Maxey is better than White and Herro.
Maxey is a shitty defensive player, is he not? That same reasoning you used for White being better than Herro, you may also use it for White being better than Maxey as well.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxey is a shitty defensive player, is he not? That same reasoning you used for White being better than Herro, you may also use it for White being better than Maxey as well.
He doesn't like white players