• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shea and Bennett

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today that the Bears are shopping Bennett for a potential trade. Also, the Bears declined the 5th year option on McClellin.

I can understand why they don't take the option on Shea, but Bennett?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today that the Bears are shopping Bennett for a potential trade. Also, the Bears declined the 5th year option on McClellin.

I can understand why they don't take the option on Shea, but Bennett?

Bennett wants a new contract. bears have no interest in negotiating

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a beast. Be a big loss.

Bout sick of players wanting new contracts, barely two years into their last one.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Martellus Bennett was probably the most obvious guy who quit on the team mid-season last year. He had some truly feeble efforts in a couple of those games. I don't know, maybe he was injured, but he definitely looked like he quit at points. I'm sure Pace has seen all of the film of him running half-assed routes in the later part of the season and doesn't like it. Bennett can be a great TE, but maybe he is worth more to us in trade value than as a member of this team.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a couple bad games, but he also had more than a couple where he refused to go down and was mowing fuckers.

Dude had a career year!?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was one of our most valuable players last year, and one that never quit?

this was against the pats in one of the worst whooping in recent memory. This was after the game was way out of reach...still hustling.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw nothing but beast mode, save for a couple games where he was never even targeted (and maybe that cuz he was slacking?) dunno for sure, but when he was healthy, he gave it all IMO.

He would be a big loss. We have no one remotely close to his skillset at the positioin.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett was talking about sitting the season according to one rumor mill, if he doesn't get a new contract. >shrugs< Again, not sure how real that rumor mill was or if he is just pulling a Forte, sit out voluntary stuff. Time will tell.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ghey.

get to work ya fucking piece of shit, ya just AGREED to that contract less than two fucking years ago!?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Yes, he had some great plays and great hustle, but he also had games where he clocked out. I'm sorry, you just can't do that. It is the same entitlement mentality that gives him the delusion that he is justified sitting out a contract..or even threatening. I'm sorry, but if you sign a contract, you play hard...all the time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he had some great plays and great hustle, but he also had games where he clocked out. I'm sorry, you just can't do that. It is the same entitlement mentality that gives him the delusion that he is justified sitting out a contract..or even threatening. I'm sorry, but if you sign a contract, you play hard...all the time.

I agree. But a couple of poor games, doesn't necessarily equate to that.

The contract stuff, I agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately it is an epidemic in the NFL. Good luck fielding a team that that has no contract-issues.

I'm not a numbers guy, and don't know what the averages are, but maybe he has a legitimate case that he's outplayed his current contract? I know this kind of thing is not exclusive to Martellus Bennett, nor should it really represent his character or my opinion of him, or I'd have to hate damn near every player in the league.

I think he's a baller, with a decent head on his shoulders, albeit a bit crazy at times, but that is sort of a prerequisite for the game, no?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is coming into his own in the game....maybe he's worth trading, but I can't see us garnering any higher than a 3rd rounder, at best, and that in no way is worth it IMO.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett's rep around the league is that he is renowned for not giving a shit. I remember in an interview following the Carolina loss last season where he legitimately couldn't remember any of the plays he was asked about.

He walks all over the field as well. He's a talent, but I don't think he's the kind of guy you want around in the midst of a youth movement and rebuild.

Plus, it doesn't matter in the least, but his whole "Look how funny I am" act got old SUPER fast.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... agreed rich... I think this is more of the off-field stuff and odd behavior then what he's done on the field. Don't forget the fight last summer. He's an odd guy off the field and shares his opinion (many times not what a team wants to hear) on social media.
It all comes down to what they could get for him. And how serious he is about sitting out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get to work ya fucking piece of shit, ya just AGREED to that contract less than two fucking years ago!?

Another great point. I really don't get it. He agreed to this contract two seasons ago, and it's not like he's
far exceeded expectations.

I think there's a good chance he just wants out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already lost our best O player, we don't need to subtract any more talent on the O side. Man what talent we have at the skill positions. It's unBear like.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great point. I really don't get it. He agreed to this contract two seasons ago, and it's not like he's
far exceeded expectations.

I think there's a good chance he just wants out.

In fairness, he IS very far down the list of the top paid TE's in football.

He is in the top-half of the league at his respective position IMO. If his salary doesn't match that, I suppose I can't blame him??

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, he IS very far down the list of the top paid TE's in football.

He is in the top-half of the league at his respective position IMO. If his salary doesn't match that, I suppose I can't blame him??

Has he really far outplayed his contract? If he's that far down the list, he also has really done some harm to his rep in the past. So you have to take that into account. Every Dallas and Giant fan I've talked to say he's a complete dog. At first, I thought maybe he was just misunderstood a tad, but I can't help but acknowledge that they may have a point now.

C

cubzzzfanincali

according to Football Outsiders, who rank TEs by Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement, Bennett was 14th. I don't personally love that particular stat, it is relevant but it sort of punishes players simply by virtue of having earned snaps, which I think is still worth something. By yards he was third and TDs 7th. He's an average run blocker and below average pass blocker. So where does that put him overall? I don't know. I wouldn't call him top 5. Maybe somewhere around 8th. Kind of subjective decision, obviously.

He is paid 12th among tight ends after this offseason's multiple rich haul signings for guys like Clay. So I'd say he is a bargain for us. A little bit. He still should just shut up and play though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has he really far outplayed his contract? If he's that far down the list, he also has really done some harm to his rep in the past. So you have to take that into account. Every Dallas and Giant fan I've talked to say he's a complete dog. At first, I thought maybe he was just misunderstood a tad, but I can't help but acknowledge that they may have a point now.

All depends on where you think he stands as a TE. Is he that far off, say a Jimmy Graham?

This may sound crazy, but I'd take Bennett right now. He's on the "up", while I think J. Graham is on the decline.

Graham makes a buttload more than Bennett.

edit***(Graham did totally cost me my Fantasy Football championship last year, so maybe I'm still pissed;)