• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, this is weird. My father just called, and he NEVER calls me. Not because he's a bad father, because I talk to my mother 1000 times a week, and my brother and my Aunt.

Anyway, it was something about my puppy who he's watching. Apparently, according to my mother, he spoils her rotten.
I proceed to go on a gigantic rant about the Rangers...(like he cares, but he is my father and he does love baseball)
so I'm "blah blah....freaking 4th OF starting every game, blah blah, we lost Cruz, blah blah, I hate the A's, blah blah...the Mariners...blah blah"

he's just quiet, I asked if he was there. Totally serious...I said "Hello"...then he replies
"So what? what are you going to do about it... nothing, I suggest you relax or quit watching"

I tried a "but" and he cut me off, "they're one of best teams in baseball, try enjoying it. I didn't call to talk about the Rangers" (okay I had that coming)
and....back to the puppy talk, which cheered me up immediately

What a jerk, with all his rational crap

Lainey, I think you are awesome but perhaps you and several others should take some advice from your father. It wasn't too long ago when the Rangers were pretty much a shoe to miss the playoffs. We got to enjoy this while we can because you never know when the the Rangers history is going to catch up to them. Besides, most of us watch sports, well at least me, to get away from the troubles or hassles of everyday life, not create new ones.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lainey, I think you are awesome but perhaps you and several others should take some advice from your father. It wasn't too long ago when the Rangers were pretty much a shoe to miss the playoffs. We got to enjoy this while we can because you never know when the the Rangers history is going to catch up to them. Besides, most of us watch sports, well at least me, to get away from the troubles or hassles of everyday life, not create new ones.

I know. I did take his advice...
He's right and so are you

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its called game situation IQ. Andrus' is in the single digits. Wash is not far behind. Aggressive baseball never should trump smart baseball. "Smart baseball" is not in the Rangers' mission statement.

I guess they should get you out there then... LOL

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Losing Cruz was too much for this offense, JD did what he could
No, I have nothing positive to say

I was thinking about that and there is no question without Cruz there is only one very good hitter left in the line-up. Rios is fine and given the circumstances has done a ok job but not having Nellie's power and production in the middle of the line-up is killing us right now. On ther hand some of these other guys are just not getting it done right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. I did take his advice...
He's right and so are you

Thanks... and hey, nothing will cure a series loss vs. the M's like a series vs a team that I think we are something like 10-2 against.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
... 46 games @ RBIA. It's not like RF at RBIA has anything odd about it other than the bullpen pop out. We saw Rios not make a play on a ball there in the MIL series. Just seems like it takes him a real long time to get around to the corner when there's a LH bat up even. Am sure I'm just imagining it.

And don't worry gang ... Rios is not the new Murphy. I hope.

I dont think that is possible

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried several times to post a comment, but I end up in an uncontrollable rant...so I keep deleting them. This was such a poorly played and managed game that I simply cannot get my arms around it....so I'm blowing this disaster off tonight...

IMO - the Rangers are in an important stretch over the next few weeks. Our schedule is significantly easier than Oakland's over this period, and our schedule get much more difficult in September, with series against Pitt, TB, KC in addition to our divisional opponents. We need to win these "winnable" games to build ourselves a cushion for the inevitable difficulties we will be facing in Sept.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about that and there is no question without Cruz there is only one very good hitter left in the line-up. Rios is fine and given the circumstances has done a ok job but not having Nellie's power and production in the middle of the line-up is killing us right now. On ther hand some of these other guys are just not getting it done right now.

you know something is a little off when Kinsler has to hit 3rd...it was the right call considering what we have, but he's not really a three.
We have no reliable power to back up Beltre.

I guess we have to forget about power, and just play to the speed. I would keep Rios behind Beltre for a few more games, see how it goes

Gentry needs to play every game unless he completely flops, but that apparently is not going to happen and for me, just deal with it, no other choice.
But I'm not forgiving Wash this time.
And I can deal with that too, doesn't mean I hate the guy, I don't at all....always liked him, never thought he was the greatest, but it was hard to argue with success.

It's just become beyond ridiculous with the Murphy deal, who has always been one of my favorites, probably top 3 since he arrived. I always have liked players that make the most of what they have and I think Murph fits there.

Meh...We're still in this thing.
We are in first.

:)

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what that means

He's referring to the take David Murphy to school promotion campaign thing that we always see during the Rangers telecasts.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was no reason for trying to steal 3rd. You are in scoring position and you know that Beltre will get a chance to drive you in.

We didn't see if there was an exchange between Beltre and Andrus as he returned to the dugout. I can see Beltre scowling at Andrus and barking at him as he jogged past ... (conveniently trying to avoid Beltre by watching the replay on the jumbotron).

Perhaps Beltre yelled at him: "Hey stupid! I'm standing here at the plate to bring you home? Do you have ADD or something? Had you forgotten I lead this team in batting? Go run 15 laps!"

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried several times to post a comment, but I end up in an uncontrollable rant...so I keep deleting them. This was such a poorly played and managed game that I simply cannot get my arms around it....so I'm blowing this disaster off tonight...

IMO - the Rangers are in an important stretch over the next few weeks. Our schedule is significantly easier than Oakland's over this period, and our schedule get much more difficult in September, with series against Pitt, TB, KC in addition to our divisional opponents. We need to win these "winnable" games to build ourselves a cushion for the inevitable difficulties we will be facing in Sept.
We all know what Cruz meant to this team but we can't lay everything off on him. ( not meaning you) These other guys are needing to pick up some of the slack. If it doesn't happen things are going to change for the worse. It's to easy to think that Cruz is gone now so we just can't get the job done. Well the truth is they can. The ball is in their court and it's time to get going or just play out the year and hope for a better next year. Today was a nightmare and gone. Tomorrow is another day.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If this is "fine ... done ok?" Last 7 days Rios ... 5 for 22 ... .227 .227 .227 .455 ... then Murphy's season can be called "fine ... doing ok" too.

Perhaps someone needs to let Rios know his team is in a pennant race and what you do when you are playing for a team in a pennant race. He's never been there before.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers record when scoring 4 runs or better is better than a 80% win ratio. We don't need to worry about trying to score 15 - like last night - but we can't be doing silly ass stuff like EA pulled! Really now, that's inexcusable! Our pitching is more than capable of keeping us in each and every game.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Know how you feel. What infuriates me above all else though is to get the "oh dear it's just one game maybe tomorrow will be better" claptrap we get from McLemore, Buzz and TAG.

Am sure I could be wrong in this regard ... but those guys all played for teams that lost a lot of games. So they are very practiced at minimizing the value of winning games ... as long as we get our check tomorrow.

The only position players today who I thought deserve their paycheck are Gentry and Beltre.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is "fine ... done ok?" Last 7 days Rios ... 5 for 22 ... .227 .227 .227 .455 ... then Murphy's season can be called "fine ... doing ok" too.

Perhaps someone needs to let Rios know his team is in a pennant race and what you do when you are playing for a team in a pennant race. He's never been there before.

Therefore, if he goes 5-22 in his next 7 days his overall for 14 days will be well over .300. Jesus, you're going to judge a guy on 7 firggin days? Have you ever heard the phase, "baseball is a marathon and not a sprint?"

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers record when scoring 4 runs or better is better than a 80% win ratio. We don't need to worry about trying to score 15 - like last night - but we can't be doing silly ass stuff like EA pulled! Really now, that's inexcusable! Our pitching is more than capable of keeping us in each and every game.
Absolutely correct and on the mark.