• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Therefore, if he goes 5-22 in his next 7 days his overall for 14 days will be well over .300. Jesus, you're going to judge a guy on 7 firggin days? Have you ever heard the phase, "baseball is a marathon and not a sprint?"

No he won't. If he goes 5 for 22 for the next seven days ... making it 10 for 44 for the past 14 days ... that is .227. Where do you get well over .300?

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you know something is a little off when Kinsler has to hit 3rd...it was the right call considering what we have, but he's not really a three.
We have no reliable power to back up Beltre.

I guess we have to forget about power, and just play to the speed. I would keep Rios behind Beltre for a few more games, see how it goes

Gentry needs to play every game unless he completely flops, but that apparently is not going to happen and for me, just deal with it, no other choice.
But I'm not forgiving Wash this time.
And I can deal with that too, doesn't mean I hate the guy, I don't at all....always liked him, never thought he was the greatest, but it was hard to argue with success.

It's just become beyond ridiculous with the Murphy deal, who has always been one of my favorites, probably top 3 since he arrived. I always have liked players that make the most of what they have and I think Murph fits there.

Meh...We're still in this thing.
We are in first.

:)

Great post Lainy. Your spot on with this. Just the mere fact that when Gentry gets on base we seem to have a reasonable just chance to score. I think just about everyone on this board likes Murphy as a person but with 380 AB's at his production should be more than enough of a sample size to see this has gone on way too long. And just like you I have been a fan of Murphy but enough is enough

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler has had his moments too ... although better this year than last. But the Cruz comparison is on the mark.

Murph has had his moments in the base pads as well. Just about everybody on this team has had their moments on the base paths at some point this season. Maybe Gentry might the only one that nothing sticks out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he won't. If he goes 5 for 22 for the next seven days ... making it 10 for 44 for the past 14 days ... that is .227. Where do you get well over .300?

Oops....math was based on 10-22, not 5. Wrong key stroke and my bad! BUT, point is, 7 days is nothing other than "jumping to conclusions." Relax.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post Lainy. Your spot on with this. Just the mere fact that when Gentry gets on base we seem to have a reasonable just chance to score. I think just about everyone on this board likes Murphy as a person but with 380 AB's at his production should be more than enough of a sample size to see this has gone on way too long. And just like you I have been a fan of Murphy but enough is enough

Well stated and agreed upon for both of ya!!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a person I would think everyone would like Murphy but this is a multi million dollar business and as a player he just doesn't fit any longer And I have to say he has been given every opportunity to succeed.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a person I would think everyone would like Murphy but this is a multi million dollar business and as a player he just doesn't fit any longer And I have to say he has been given every opportunity to succeed.

As I had to explain to a guy I liked very much, although I was letting him go, "We were never here because we are friends. This is a business, and the fact we enjoy each other is just a plus."

You said it quite well, "this is a MULTI MILLION dollar business." And unfortunately, Murphy couldn't have picked a worse time for the Rangers, or himself, to have rolled snake-eyes!

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know how you feel. What infuriates me above all else though is to get the "oh dear it's just one game maybe tomorrow will be better" claptrap we get from McLemore, Buzz and TAG.

Am sure I could be wrong in this regard ... but those guys all played for teams that lost a lot of games. So they are very practiced at minimizing the value of winning games ... as long as we get our check tomorrow.

The only position players today who I thought deserve their paycheck are Gentry and Beltre.

It's always interesting to me when fans project their own feelings on to players.
"As long as we get our check tomorrow" What? You seriously think they don't care? How would you know that....you don't know that.
Kinsler (or any of them) want to suck... are you kidding me? Did you see him throw his bat about a mile, along with his helmet...do you think at that moment he was saying..."I don't really care, I'll get paid" I'm using him as an example, because he is in a slump and we saw the anger tonight.

Last year Beltre slumped in August, do you think he didn't care... and it was all about the money?

I'm disappointed too, but come on now. Yes, they make a lot of money, because they do something 99.9% of people can't, and that's what the market dictates.
Money doesn't equate to not caring.

If I misunderstood your point, I apologize

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope people aren't expecting much from Rios. White Sox gave him up for almost nothing. He's a placeholder at best for our best hitter. He's always been a bad attitude guy that doesn't give a lot of effort. There was no solid bat out there to get so we're left with a player like Rios. May have been better off just platooning what we already had.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If this is "fine ... done ok?" Last 7 days Rios ... 5 for 22 ... .227 .227 .227 .455 ... then Murphy's season can be called "fine ... doing ok" too.

Perhaps someone needs to let Rios know his team is in a pennant race and what you do when you are playing for a team in a pennant race. He's never been there before.

In 8 games with the Rangers he has been ok batting 273, with 2 RBI's and a couple of SB's. It's still too early but by all means he is fair game in this critical stretch

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope people aren't expecting much from Rios. White Sox gave him up for almost nothing. He's a placeholder at best for our best hitter. He's always been a bad attitude guy that doesn't give a lot of effort. There was no solid bat out there to get so we're left with a player like Rios. May have been better off just platooning what we already had.

I think it was worth a shot. It was pretty clear that we needed the Front office to do something to help the team after the loss of Cruz.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one more thing about "minimizing games" Most of the year, they are playing this game. It's essential they move on from bad outings, losses or whatever. They are taught that, you examine the problem, try to correct it and forget about what happened the day or even 5 minutes before.

If you don't do that, you're history.

It's not the NFL where you can smash the ever-loving crap out of someone and feel better.
Assuming the talent is there, it's all mental.

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD did the right thing to give the team a shot. It is what it is, and I trust he thought it was better to pick him up than another platoon.
And he's right.
imo of course

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. You can get as pissed as you want. I don't ever want to go back to 72-90 Rangers teams.

it's more like sure, get upset during the game (all fans do that, including him) but then let it go when it's over.
I was clearly not letting a baseball game go, and why ruin the rest of my day?

I actually would have just signed off, but I'm pretty useless right now anyway, so...

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's more like sure, get upset during the game (all fans do that, including him) but then let it go when it's over.
I was clearly not letting a baseball game go, and why ruin the rest of my day?

I actually would have just signed off, but I'm pretty useless right now anyway, so...
Do what you do Lainey. If that's how you deal with it, then so be it. Nothing we do has any affect on the outcome anyway, but this is what happens when we get emotionally attached.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do what you do Lainey. If that's how you deal with it, then so be it. Nothing we do has any affect on the outcome anyway, but this is what happens when we get emotionally attached.

I know that....I'm attached. Look, I'll keep getting mad during the game, that's not the point...the point was you can't control something, so just move on with your day.
It's not any great wisdom, it's just something a die-hard fan like himself has learned