• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thread is now open for our weekend series with the Mariners

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off day..... Lol. Can't get my rangers fix, but I'm glad for the team. They needed it after seeing their effort against the brew crew

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hate the off-day heading into the series given the current 14-2 streak, but hopefully the players find it useful.

Seattle seems to have gotten a lot better offensively than they've typically been. Franklin and Miller have given them a boost and Seager has really developed into a good hitter. Smoak has also hit really well lately. Although they are only 16th in the league in runs scored this season, they are 3rd in August.

Always tough to have to face Iwakuma and Hernandez. Hopefully we can take at least two of three to keep alive the streak having not lost a series since Cleveland.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hate the off-day heading into the series given the current 14-2 streak, but hopefully the players find it useful.

Seattle seems to have gotten a lot better offensively than they've typically been. Franklin and Miller have given them a boost and Seager has really developed into a good hitter. Smoak has also hit really well lately. Although they are only 16th in the league in runs scored this season, they are 3rd in August.

Always tough to have to face Iwakuma and Hernandez. Hopefully we can take at least two of three to keep alive the streak having not lost a series since Cleveland.

Seattle usually plays worse in Texas then we do.... Lol

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had not seen the almost 2 HRs by Chris Young until now. Wow we're those close.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland magic fizzled out at the last possible moment 2 nights in a row.... Lol

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball decided Thursday to implement instant replay on virtually every play but the strikezone - including three manager's challenges per game - that will begin in 2014, Commissioner Bud Selig announced.
"It's a historic day,'' Selig said.

MLB vice president Joe Torre, Atlanta Braves GM John Schuerholz and advisor Tony La Russa presented the all-encompassing replay proposal to the 30 ownership groups, which was widely accepted, Selig said, and expected to be formalized at their quarterly owners' meetings Nov. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla.

The replay will include up to three challenges that mangers will be provided during a game, one in the first six innings, and two beginning in the seventh inning through the game's duration. If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.
If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.

Baseball, using its central MLBAM offices in New York, will be provided with replay cameras that will be monitored by men with umpiring experience. They will make the final call on disputed plays, not the crew chief.

What does everyone think of this?!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really enthused about it, but I tend to at first resist most rule changes. Sure I'll just get used to it if it's implemented and it lasts.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball decided Thursday to implement instant replay on virtually every play but the strikezone - including three manager's challenges per game - that will begin in 2014, Commissioner Bud Selig announced.
"It's a historic day,'' Selig said.

MLB vice president Joe Torre, Atlanta Braves GM John Schuerholz and advisor Tony La Russa presented the all-encompassing replay proposal to the 30 ownership groups, which was widely accepted, Selig said, and expected to be formalized at their quarterly owners' meetings Nov. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla.

The replay will include up to three challenges that mangers will be provided during a game, one in the first six innings, and two beginning in the seventh inning through the game's duration. If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.
If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.

Baseball, using its central MLBAM offices in New York, will be provided with replay cameras that will be monitored by men with umpiring experience. They will make the final call on disputed plays, not the crew chief.

Your source being Bob Nightengale means that while there is some basis to it ... Nightengale is speculating on part of the story.

Here's the link to what MLB.com has put out on it ... not as final as Nightengale states (no surprise to me).

At quarterly MLB Owners Meetings, replay committee to report recommendations | MLB.com: News

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
May come as a surprise ... but I oppose the change.

My problem with instant replay is what we have seen in both college and NFL ... officials become sloppy in their calls knowing that coaches will challenge and gets the official off having to make a good call to begin with.

Seems to me MLB has been on the umpires and teams to speed up the games ... and now comes out proposing replay which with challenges is going to result in more delays and ruin the flow of the game. Managers will make preemptive challenges to disrupt the flow of the game ... stall to get relief pitchers ready ... or delay if it looks like rain. (whatever)

What would be better for me would be MLB using replay to keep score on the work of the umpires and move poor performing umps back to AAA to ensure quality work.

No doubt it will pass the ownership vote ... but I am convinced what this is going to do is just result in umps not paying as much attention to making good calls ... and when a play might be in question ... rather than owning the decision ... the umps will just tell managers to "challenge it" ... rather than making sure they are right to begin with.

I don't like the change.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first one was as close as you can get. I watched the whole game and I thought that was no doubt gone

Young thought they were both gone especially the 2nd one. He asked Grossman to show him the ball as he was running in from the OF. Nice seeing things not going their way all the time.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all prepared to get ruined in Arlington, as usual.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every year I saw lookout for Seattle and I'm always wrong. I thought this could have been the year where they'd make a turn but no cigar yet. At some point soon you guys will get good again I'm sure of it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May come as a surprise ... but I oppose the change.

My problem with instant replay is what we have seen in both college and NFL ... officials become sloppy in their calls knowing that coaches will challenge and gets the official off having to make a good call to begin with.

Seems to me MLB has been on the umpires and teams to speed up the games ... and now comes out proposing replay which with challenges is going to result in more delays and ruin the flow of the game. Managers will make preemptive challenges to disrupt the flow of the game ... stall to get relief pitchers ready ... or delay if it looks like rain. (whatever)

What would be better for me would be MLB using replay to keep score on the work of the umpires and move poor performing umps back to AAA to ensure quality work.

No doubt it will pass the ownership vote ... but I am convinced what this is going to do is just result in umps not paying as much attention to making good calls ... and when a play might be in question ... rather than owning the decision ... the umps will just tell managers to "challenge it" ... rather than making sure they are right to begin with.

I don't like the change.

I wish they would evaluate the umps including those ridiculous strikes that a LH pitcher gets to a LH batter that are way outside.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What does everyone think of this?![/QUOTE]

Sent a note to Fordman to ask him to move these posts relative to replay to its own thread. Think it is going to get a lot of interest. Don't want to mix them up with the Seattle posts (recognizing I am one of the culprits).

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seattle is not a fun team to play. They play most teams very tough. Just can't quite get things going forward on a consistent basis.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Every year I saw lookout for Seattle and I'm always wrong. I thought this could have been the year where they'd make a turn but no cigar yet. At some point soon you guys will get good again I'm sure of it.

SEA games whether at home or away are always pivotal in August and September. Would not at all to be surprised for SEA, LAA and HOU relish creating havoc for OAK and TEX during the stretch. If memory serves me it was SEA last year that started TEX down to where OAK passed TEX on the final day.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners do play us tough.

The match ups:

King Felix is 0-2 with 2 NDs against the Rangers this year; Iwakuma is 1-1 with one ND; Ramirez has not faced the Rangers this year but has a 4-0 record and 7.06 ERA.

Holland is 1-0 with one ND this year against Seattle. In both games he gave up 2ER and K'd 10; Perez faced the Mariners once this year with an 8H effort with no ERs. He pitched 5.1 innings; Darvish is 1-1 against Seattle this year. His loss was a 3-1 final where he gave up 3 ERs on 3 H. Our bats slept that day.

Rangers lead the season series at 8-5.