• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know I'll catch it from all sides but leave the game alone. In some cases the game will be drawn out to long and especially west coast games. Personally baseball is part of history and American pastime that has been played and enjoyed for years. Quit letting the umps off the hook. they should be held accountable for their performances. Fines should be administered for those making excessive bad calls. As proposed, umps will become sloppy because they know they can get by with it. Let the game alone and hold everyone responsible for their part including the ones making the bad calls. Players and managers are accountable and the umpires should be also.

I'm with you DT for the points you made above I bolded. As seen in NFL ... umps will get lazy expecting managers to police quality. This MLB's job.

MLB ought to propose first that all plays are under review by a non-field umpire who is focused on that specific game. (Sorta like college football).

It is MLB's job to make sure there is quality on the field. Not up to teams to police them.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'll catch it from all sides but leave the game alone. In some cases the game will be drawn out to long and especially west coast games. Personally baseball is part of history and American pastime that has been played and enjoyed for years. Quit letting the umps off the hook. they should be held accountable for their performances. Fines should be administered for those making excessive bad calls. As proposed, umps will become sloppy because they know they can get by with it. Let the game alone and hold everyone responsible for their part including the ones making the bad calls. Players and managers are accountable and the umpires should be also.

Sir....the umps aren't held accountable! Thus the point. They make a horrid call, don't get suspended, don't get fined or fired, Ws and Ls remain the same. So where's the accountability?

"Oh, I'm sorry my blown call just cost you a no-hitter! Really I am!" You mean like, this kind of "accountabilty?"

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sir....the umps aren't held accountable! Thus the point. They make a horrid call, don't get suspended, don't get fined or fired, Ws and Ls remain the same. So where's the accountability?

"Oh, I'm sorry my blown call just cost you a no-hitter! Really I am!" You mean like, this kind of "accountabilty?"

Yea ... but its not the field managers' job to make them accountable either. To me by proposing this to MLB teams Bud is saying "I haven't been successful holding the umps accountable and I am unable to ensure quality decisions by our umpires ... so we propose punting to you guys".

COPOUT

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it sad that you guys have a thread, with 2 pages yet, for an upcoming series with the M's, and, that there is no thread for the M's game today on the M's board.

I mean to take nothing away from Rangers fans, but am just pointing out how different the team boards are populated. On CBS, I was used to everything being Red Sox and Yankees. Here, it seems to be about the Rangers and the Giants.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sir.... there is no accountability. Read my post again. Plainly states that umps should be. Going to the new thread for continued discussion.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you DT for the points you made above I bolded. As seen in NFL ... umps will get lazy expecting managers to police quality. This MLB's job.

MLB ought to propose first that all plays are under review by a non-field umpire who is focused on that specific game. (Sorta like college football).

It is MLB's job to make sure there is quality on the field. Not up to teams to police them.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops on this! However, it's 2013 and yet you don't want to use the accepted "norms" of technology to make the right decisions. How come?

Let me ask: Do you still send faxes, have a flip-phone, have no clue how to use GPS, insist on listening to LPs only, or not have cable/DISH, whatever, for viewing pleasure, etc? Of course not! This is all I'm saying. Hell, it's 2013 and let baseball catch up like everything else is!

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops on this! However, it's 2013 and yet you don't want to use the accepted "norms" of technology to make the right decisions. How come?

Let me ask: Do you still send faxes, have a flip-phone, have no clue how to use GPS, insist on listening to LPs only, or not have cable/DISH, whatever, for viewing pleasure, etc? Of course not! This is all I'm saying. Hell, it's 2013 and let baseball catch up like everything else is!

Then let MLB use these tools to augment their other means of ensuring quality. It is not up to the teams to have to enforce the quality.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then let MLB use these tools to augment their other means of ensuring quality. It is not up to the teams to have to enforce the quality.

I agree with several of ya! Honestly! MLB should control the game and make the right decisions.

Baseball should be able to manager the game decisions and not even involve the managers! :agree:? But since "Gestapo Bud" isn't going to do it, then let's try to get it right - REGARDLESS OF WHO'S DOING IT!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ... but its not the field managers' job to make them accountable either. To me by proposing this to MLB teams Bud is saying "I haven't been successful holding the umps accountable and I am unable to ensure quality decisions by our umpires ... so we propose punting to you guys".

COPOUT

AGREE WITH YA 100%%! To me it's ridiculously silly for you and I to sit on the couch and "plainly see" a blown call, and yet, MLB can't nut-up to using the proper tools to make the correct call!

Your business, whatever it is, would not tolerate this thought pattern - lack thereof - would it? Me either!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's won today, but I was thrilled that Houston beat them twice in their own yard. I'll take it! Lol

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's won today, but I was thrilled that Houston beat them twice in their own yard. I'll take it! Lol

They seem to be feeling the heat of having something to lose.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only thing they have to lose is what we gave them.

Good one.

Talking about 'give aways'. I watched the PIT @ STL on Mon night. Starling Marte made an error failing to catch a simple Descalso fly ball that would have been the second out in the bottom of the 9th with PIT 2 outs away from winning. Matt Carpenter struck out next ... which would have been the third out. Instead the inning continued with after a walk... Allen Craig drove in the tying run. STL went on to win in 14innings.

Misplay by Marte reminded me of Hamilton's flub in the 162nd game last year ... OAK won ... TEX went to the WC playin ... and was out of the playoffs following its loss to BAL at RBIA.

TEX gave the division to OAK long before the 162nd game last year ... but Hamilton's play is the signature event of that demise.

I wonder if Marte was thinking about Hamilton's misplay .. and whether his misplay will be what lets STL back into the race for the NLC. Will PIT wonder what if ... and did they give STL a division win just like TEX gave OAK.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good one.

Talking about 'give aways'. I watched the PIT @ STL on Mon night. Starling Marte made an error failing to catch a simple Descalso fly ball that would have been the second out in the bottom of the 9th with PIT 2 outs away from winning. Matt Carpenter struck out next ... which would have been the third out. Instead the inning continued with after a walk... Allen Craig drove in the tying run. STL went on to win in 14innings.

Misplay by Marte reminded me of Hamilton's flub in the 162nd game last year ... OAK won ... TEX went to the WC playin ... and was out of the playoffs following its loss to BAL at RBIA.

TEX gave the division to OAK long before the 162nd game last year ... but Hamilton's play is the signature event of that demise.

I wonder if Marte was thinking about Hamilton's misplay .. and whether his misplay will be what lets STL back into the race for the NLC. Will PIT wonder what if ... and did they give STL a division win just like TEX gave OAK.
How much of a defensive blessing is Leonys Martin when you think about Hamilton out there? He and Gentry both just make play after play. And Martin's arm last night....It might have won us the game.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of a defensive blessing is Leonys Martin when you think about Hamilton out there? He and Gentry both just make play after play. And Martin's arm last night....It might have won us the game.

It's a blessing indeed. That arm is so strong

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've not seen anything super special in Alex Rios yet. Had a good start offensively but has tapered off. Defensively I don't see him as a plus over Cruz yet. We'll see the first time he has to make a throw all the way to 3b from mid RF without a relay. We've seen both Cruz and Martin do that.

Just saying ... Rios doesn't impress me as a great RFer.