• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners vs. Texas Rangers 8/16-8/18

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball decided Thursday to implement instant replay on virtually every play but the strikezone - including three manager's challenges per game - that will begin in 2014, Commissioner Bud Selig announced.
"It's a historic day,'' Selig said.

MLB vice president Joe Torre, Atlanta Braves GM John Schuerholz and advisor Tony La Russa presented the all-encompassing replay proposal to the 30 ownership groups, which was widely accepted, Selig said, and expected to be formalized at their quarterly owners' meetings Nov. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla.

The replay will include up to three challenges that mangers will be provided during a game, one in the first six innings, and two beginning in the seventh inning through the game's duration. If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.
If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.

Baseball, using its central MLBAM offices in New York, will be provided with replay cameras that will be monitored by men with umpiring experience. They will make the final call on disputed plays, not the crew chief.

What does everyone think of this?!

I am fine with it. However, I saw another piece that said if a manager challenges he can't come out and argue with the ump. Seems to me that allowing more accuracy in game calling is going to ruin an old baseball tradition of the manager coming out and getting in the ump's face. I mean there were fans that went to games just to see Billy Martin dust up an ump:) On the flipside, maybe some of these managers live longer without all that stress building up.

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners do play us tough.

The match ups:

King Felix is 0-2 with 2 NDs against the Rangers this year; Iwakuma is 1-1 with one ND; Ramirez has not faced the Rangers this year but has a 4-0 record and 7.06 ERA.

Holland is 1-0 with one ND this year against Seattle. In both games he gave up 2ER and K'd 10; Perez faced the Mariners once this year with an 8H effort with no ERs. He pitched 5.1 innings; Darvish is 1-1 against Seattle this year. His loss was a 3-1 final where he gave up 3 ERs on 3 H. Our bats slept that day.

Rangers lead the season series at 8-5.
Holland vs Iwakuma, Perez vs King Felix, then Darvish vs Ramirez.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 to 0 Oakland in the second. Don't look for a miracle comeback, but who knows.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, I think we face Iwakuma and Felix in Seattle. As usual, Oakland gets off easy. They play harang, Saunders, and Iwakuma

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looks like the 'Stros went back to their old ways today. Now losing 5-0

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately, I think we face Iwakuma and Felix in Seattle. As usual, Oakland gets off easy. They play harang, Saunders, and Iwakuma

SEA @TEX ... this Fri, Sat and Sun (Iwakuma-Hollad, Hernandez-Perez, Ramirez-Darvish) ... then

SEA @ OAK ... Mon, Tue and Wed (Harang-Parker, Saunders-Gray, Iwakuma-Griffin)

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Correct. Put the data in order of how I was pulling it from Fangraphs:) Thanks for organizing the match ups.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm ok with this. Best case was to win 1 or 2 games for the astros

Down 3-11 to OAK for the season (probably 3-12 by the end of the afternoon) a series win by HOU @ OAK just shows how much heart those guys have after the last weekend. TEX cannot take anything for granted when HOU visits TEX in the two series @ RBIA still to be played.

Regardless how it plays out today ... kudos to HOU.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down 3-11 to OAK for the season (probably 3-12 by the end of the afternoon) a series win by HOU @ OAK just shows how much heart those guys have after the last weekend. TEX cannot take anything for granted when HOU visits TEX in the two series @ RBIA still to be played.

Regardless how it plays out today ... kudos to HOU.

Yep 2 out of 3 is sweet. I thought comin in the division lead would be atleast tied

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball decided Thursday to implement instant replay on virtually every play but the strikezone - including three manager's challenges per game - that will begin in 2014, Commissioner Bud Selig announced.
"It's a historic day,'' Selig said.

MLB vice president Joe Torre, Atlanta Braves GM John Schuerholz and advisor Tony La Russa presented the all-encompassing replay proposal to the 30 ownership groups, which was widely accepted, Selig said, and expected to be formalized at their quarterly owners' meetings Nov. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla.

The replay will include up to three challenges that mangers will be provided during a game, one in the first six innings, and two beginning in the seventh inning through the game's duration. If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.
If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.

Baseball, using its central MLBAM offices in New York, will be provided with replay cameras that will be monitored by men with umpiring experience. They will make the final call on disputed plays, not the crew chief.

What does everyone think of this?!
3 challenges are too many...2 are enough and can be used any time during the game...

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to many at all

Why have the limitations of 1 challenge in the 1st 7, then 2 thereafter? The game can certainly be decided long before the 7th inning due to a couple of bad calls.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they challenge and win though, I think they keep it and have ability to challenge again.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they challenge and win though, I think they keep it and have ability to challenge again.

Understand. But still, why not just have the 3 and put it on the manager to make the call when.

I'm really looking at this from the Rangers standpoint. We're like 60-10 when we score 4 runs or more. So a blown call in the second, and 4th which cost us 3 runs, it catastrophic to us.

And let's hope, make that pray, the umpires will do a better job with this than the effing NFL refs do!!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'll catch it from all sides but leave the game alone. In some cases the game will be drawn out to long and especially west coast games. Personally baseball is part of history and American pastime that has been played and enjoyed for years. Quit letting the umps off the hook. they should be held accountable for their performances. Fines should be administered for those making excessive bad calls. As proposed, umps will become sloppy because they know they can get by with it. Let the game alone and hold everyone responsible for their part including the ones making the bad calls. Players and managers are accountable and the umpires should be also.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a thread for this discussion. It will help this one stay focused on the series.