• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richards Put on Waivers

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ox, just because I wanted Richards bought out does not mean "I gave up on him". It was the smart thing in every way to do at the time. Success is difficult to attain and even harder to keep and when you have to fight the cap you have to make tough choices and buying out Richards was one of those choices. If you where in charge you would run the team with your emotions, I would not. Loyalty is a 2-way street and its not like these guys are taking big discounts to stay together otherwise they wouldn't be having this cap problem would they? Williams is another one that they appear to have screwed up, how can you not give this guy a decent contract while doling out 4m for Muffin? I haven't totally given up on this club but its looking like that window slammed shut in a hurry.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see Richards put on waivers but at the same time I'm not really surprised. His play this year warranted the move. I hope he is able to get his career back on track, whether it's through another shot with the Kings or a different team.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone has the answer to this but its always mentioned the kings getting hit with a cap recapture penalty if he reires before the current contract expires. But the Flyers actually signed him to his current deal and then traded him to the kings so shouldn't they and not the kings be penalized for his possible early retirement?

The way I believe it was set up pretty new cba that cap penalty would be the team that trades for him. Since the new CBA the penalty stays with the original team. I don't know if it changes with a waiver claim but if it was a trade the Kings would be responsible for the penalty.

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes if a team trades for him or claims him off waivers they get his contract and all it's ramifications. One reason why he most likely won't be claimed.

Ox

Actually the kings get a recapture penalty no matter who they trade him to. I know certain players contracts' such as Marion Hossa and Luongo also came under scrutiny due to length and back ending the contract to lower salary cap hit so the punishment was the team that signed them took a hit if they retired before it expired. So If luongo retires in florida early vancouver still takes a majority of the recapture penalty.
I was just wondering why the Flyers seems to escape this when they are the team that signed him to this back ended contract?

Larry Richards of the hockey news broke down what happens to richards even if he's traded:

"In the recent trade rumors regarding Los Angeles Kings center Mike Richards, TSN’s Bob McKenzie mentioned the risk of salary-cap recapture penalties if Richards retires before his contract expires. Here’s a look at breakdown season by season, courtesy of CapGeek.com’s cap recapture calculator. Assuming for the sake of argument he’s deal to the Anaheim Ducks after playing 20 percent of this season, then retires at the end of this season. The Kings would be tagged with a penalty of $1.270 through the completion of his contract, while the Ducks would be penalized $50K per season.
Now, let’s assume the same trade scenario for this season, but retires in the summer of 2016. The Kings are penalized over $1.587 million per season, while the Ducks are tagged with $125K per season. If he retires in the summer of 2017, the Kings penalty becomes over $2.116 million for each remaining season of the contract, while the Ducks get hit with $83,333 per season.
If he retires in the summer of 2018, the Kings’ penalty is over $3.175 million, but the Ducks won’t be penalized. If he retires in the summer of 2019, the Kings are penalized the full $6.35 million, while the Ducks again won’t be penalized."

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a good read and seeing the insight of Lombardi. He was loyal and Richards didn't pull through. You can tell by what he said about Mike batting .200 and that Temmu fell off the map for a bit but came back after changing some things. Lombardi hasn't been pleased with Richards despite his offseason program given it's not translated on the ice.

If Richards clears waivers and is assigned to Manchester how much does he get paid? If he gets recalled would he be paid at his new pay rate?

Richards contract is guaranteed so he gets every penny. The team just gets some cap space but not much from what I read. It used to be you saved the entire cap hit during the season but they closed that loophole. Blame the Rangers fort burying Wade Redden in the minors for 5 years and they may have done something similar at the end of the Kasparitis

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the kings get a recapture penalty no matter who they trade him to. I know certain players contracts' such as Marion Hossa and Luongo also came under scrutiny due to length and back ending the contract to lower salary cap hit so the punishment was the team that signed them took a hit if they retired before it expired. So If luongo retires in florida early vancouver still takes a majority of the recapture penalty.
I was just wondering why the Flyers seems to escape this when they are the team that signed him to this back ended contract?

Larry Richards of the hockey news broke down what happens to richards even if he's traded:

"In the recent trade rumors regarding Los Angeles Kings center Mike Richards, TSN’s Bob McKenzie mentioned the risk of salary-cap recapture penalties if Richards retires before his contract expires. Here’s a look at breakdown season by season, courtesy of CapGeek.com’s cap recapture calculator. Assuming for the sake of argument he’s deal to the Anaheim Ducks after playing 20 percent of this season, then retires at the end of this season. The Kings would be tagged with a penalty of $1.270 through the completion of his contract, while the Ducks would be penalized $50K per season.
Now, let’s assume the same trade scenario for this season, but retires in the summer of 2016. The Kings are penalized over $1.587 million per season, while the Ducks are tagged with $125K per season. If he retires in the summer of 2017, the Kings penalty becomes over $2.116 million for each remaining season of the contract, while the Ducks get hit with $83,333 per season.
If he retires in the summer of 2018, the Kings’ penalty is over $3.175 million, but the Ducks won’t be penalized. If he retires in the summer of 2019, the Kings are penalized the full $6.35 million, while the Ducks again won’t be penalized."

Interesting, thanks for the numbers.

Also, welcome to all the people who are posting here that don't usually do so. We always enjoy fans from other teams joining our discussion!

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do the Flyers escape a penalty? They're the ones that signed the original contract. The whole recapture deal doesn't sound very fair to me.

Ox

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The heck with Richards or how the Kinfa are doing, I am a d u m b a s s who had Richatds' name/number put on the stadium series jersey I bought last year. I loved the way the guy played--smaller player with skill who scrapped like heck for teammates and to win. I also worry if booze or substances are invced when you have a dropout like this in his prime.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official. He has been assigned to Manchester. No one took him.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crazy how much mike richards has dropped off i'm pretty shocked

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in other news, Richards declined to join the team for the White House visit yesterday:

Bitter? Mike Richards rejects offer to join Los Angeles Kings for White House visit | NJ.com

Personal decision according to Stoll.

Reminds me of when Tim Thomas didn't go because he is a conservative and doesn't agree with Obama's policies. That I can agree with because it treads on personal beliefs but for Richards I think he should have been there, he was important in the 2014 Cup run too.

He may be in the minors but he is still part of the team and the decision to move him was strictly business. Little unprofessional in my opinion.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He scored a goal and 2 assists the other night....come on Richie turn it around :suds:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He scored a goal and 2 assists the other night....come on Richie turn it around :suds:

That's what I'm hoping for. If he gets his game back together, the Kings will recall him and essentially get that elite player they wouldn't have been able to otherwse because of the cap situaion. It would kind of be like adding a marquee player at the deadline.

Not sure if you saw the video but he didn't look too happy even after scoring that goal. Has to be a huge blow to his ego considering he is the only NHL player to win at every level - juniors, international and NHL and he's only 29.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be great if he can get it back, I like guys that fight hard to win and hope at some point he fights even harder for his career

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Kings call him back up, does he have to clear waivers?

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think they got rid of Re entry waivers 1 or 2 CBAs ago.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think they got rid of Re entry waivers 1 or 2 CBAs ago.

This CBA actually - Re-Entry existed in the 2005-2012 CBA.

Richards would not be able to be claimed by another team if he were to be recalled. I'm hoping he finds his game and indeed does get recalled and comes back a badass.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any impact from anyone could fix this season, but I would like to see him come back with a vengeance next year and help these Kings regain their pride.