• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank The Conferences!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready for a lot of stats ladies.

You're absolutely right. Without Bama, the SEC is dead last. Without Clemson and FSU, the ACC sucks. But also, without Oklahoma, the Big 12 is nothing. So you can't just cherry pick teams out of a conference that support your argument. Just as each conference as it's bottom dwellers, each conference has it's overachievers. The ACC has Clemson and Florida State, SEC has Bama, The Pac 12 have USC and Washington, B1G has Ohio State, Michigan and sometimes Penn State, while the Big 12 has Oklahoma and arguably Oklahoma State.

All stats are from last year:

Number of double digit win teams:

ACC - 3
SEC - 1
B1G - 4
Pac 12 - 4
Big 12 - 3

Bowl Game Winning %:

ACC - .750
SEC - .462
B1G - .300
Pac 12 - .500
Big 12 - .667

Number of teams in the Final AP Rankings (since the AP knows what they are doing, right?:

ACC - 5
SEC - 5
B1G - 4
Pac 12 - 5
Big 12 - 3

Not to mention since 2014:

Playoff wins:

ACC - 3
Big 12 - 0
SEC - 3
Pac 12 - 1
B1G - 2

Since 2006:

# of National Titles:

ACC - 2
SEC - 8 (with a run of 7 in a row)
Big 12 - 0
Pac 12 - 0
B1G - 1

Not to mention 10 analyst predictions for this upcoming season from CBS Sports, SB Nation and Sporting News (because I don't have all the time in the world to keep providing proof that the Big 12 is NOT the best conference and hasn't been in quite sometime)

Teams Included:

Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, USC, Clemson, Penn State, Oklahoma and Washington.

For those keeping track at home:

SEC - 1
ACC - 2
Pac 12 - 2
B1G - 2
Big 12 - 1

Out of the 10 analyst predictions, only 1 had a big 12 team and still had them losing to USC. If the Big 12 had won a playoff game or won a National title in the last 10 years, the race for 3rd between B1G and Big 12 would be much closer, but when ranking the conference and who's the best amongst the power 5, I don't understand how you can argue for the Big 12 being anywhere but 4 or 5. The argument is null and voided out by the lack of playoff wins, national titles and top to bottom competition within the conference.

Since 2013, the Big 12 is 2-6 against the ACC, 6-6 against the B1G, 5-7 against the Pac 12 and 9-13 against the SEC. The Big 12 only has winning records against non power 5 conferences since 2013.

I'll be back in a hour to read all the replies.
If you read my post above. I youlee t see the numbers and stats used in this data are not pure. And do not hold a solid foundation for comparison. Given the differential in conference formats. Especially when those formats hold a direct effect on over all win/loss, conference win loss, conference standings. Over all rankings bowl eligibility..... To many variables in the data with format differentials. Which I discussed in further detail earlier.The only comparison that would hold a direct link would be head to head games between P5 schools While I would like to see the P5's using the same format.I'm really not a fan of the conference love thing.

Last edited:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought maybe I misread what they were asking. Bringing up 5 and 10 year frames for college is silly, as it is a coaching carousel for many teams. Hell, UM has had at least 3 and possibly 4 in the past 10 years, depending if you count this year or not.

I understand.

Again, I was just responding to the guy that brought those time frames into play.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By some people's logic, which conference has the most teams in the Top Ten?

The B1G. There is your answer.

ff_889919_xl.jpg

Once the OOC games are over, then we will know.

The ACC has two teams to fear, Clemson and Florida State.
The ACC has one team that would be a real pain, Virginia Tech.
The ACC has six teams that are 50/50 Louisville, Georgia Tech, Miami, Duke, Pittsburgh, and North carolina.
The ACC has five teams that are wins Boston College, NC State, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and Virginia.

The Big 12 has two teams to fear, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
The Big 12 has two teams that would be a real pain, West Virginia and Kansas State.
The Big 12 has three teams that are 50/50 Baylor, Texas and TCU.
The Big 12 has three teams that are wins Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech.

The B1G has four teams to fear Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
The B1G does not have any teams that would be a real pain.
The B1G has seven teams that are 50/50 Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska and Minnesota.
The B1G has three teams that are wins Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue.

The PAC 12 has two teams to fear, Washington and USC.
The PAC 12 has one team that is a real pain, Stanford.
The PAC 12 has seven teams that are 50/50, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, UCLA, Washington State.
The PAC 12 has two teams that are wins California and Oregon State.

The SEC has one team to fear, Alabama.
The SEC has four teams that are a real pain, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn.
The SEC six teams that are 50/50 Mississippi, Miss State, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Texas A&M.
The SEC has three teams that are wins, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Missouri.

Based on my unscientific pulled out of thin air study,

the SEC has the most teams that I figure would have a good chance of beating my team with five on the Thursday before the weekend happened.

The Big 12 and the B1G are about even for teams that I would think is a loss before the game started, with four.
The PAC 12 and ACC only have three teams that I would assume was a loss before the game was played.

In my mind, the ACC has the most cupcakes with five. And I am being generous with putting Duke in the 50/50 category.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, last year Washington St was 2nd in the Pac12 North. They lost to subdivision team last season...and were still #2 in the North. Combine that with UCLA and Oregon having horrendous seasons last year, I'm not sure why I would rank the conference higher. I'm all for convincing, so given what I've said above, why am I underestimating the Pac12 this year in conference strength compared to the other power 5 conferences?
because that was last year

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy...rank the power 5 conferences in order of which conference is the best in all of College Football. Regular season, bowl games AND playoff play!

In my opinion....

1. ACC
2. SEC
3. Big Ten
4. Pac 12
5. Big 12

If you take the top 5 teams from the ACC and the SEC standings last year not including Clemson or Alabama:

From the ACC: Florida State, Louisville, Miami(FL), Virginia Tech and North Carolina
From the SEC: Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, LSU and Georgia

I think the ACC wins at least 4 of those games. For me, the Big Ten is a VERY close 3rd to the SEC. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa are a force also. Once Oregon comes back from their slump, I believe the Pac 12 might challenge for the 3rd spot. Big 12 can barely get 5 teams to have a winning record. The Big Ten and Pac 12 each had 4 teams with double digit wins, ACC and Big 12 with 3 and SEC had 1. No other team aside from Alabama could get more than 9 wins.

Lots to factor in here but what do y'all think??

Discuss!
Crazy to think a conference could have half it's members in the top 25 and be considered the worst.

Fuck em all. There's only one conference I follow....and it only has one team in it.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ff_889919_xl.jpg

The ACC has six teams that are 50/50 Louisville, Georgia Tech, Miami, Duke, Pittsburgh, and North carolina.
The ACC has five teams that are wins Boston College, NC State, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and Virginia.

The Big 12 has two teams that would be a real pain, West Virginia and Kansas State.

The B1G has seven teams that are 50/50 Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska and Minnesota.

The PAC 12 has seven teams that are 50/50, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, UCLA, Washington State.

The SEC six teams that are 50/50 Mississippi, Miss State, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Texas A&M.
The SEC has three teams that are wins, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Missouri.

the SEC has the most teams that I figure would have a good chance of beating my team with five on the Thursday before the weekend happened.

The Big 12 and the B1G are about even for teams that I would think is a loss before the game started, with four.
The PAC 12 and ACC only have three teams that I would assume was a loss before the game was played.

In my mind, the ACC has the most cupcakes with five. And I am being generous with putting Duke in the 50/50 category.

I agree but the problem with looking at it that way is the conferences don't have the same number of teams.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ff_889919_xl.jpg

I'm going to disagree, just a tad with your answer...but on a personal note.

My team is 7-2-1 all-time against the teams I'm supposed to fear...and 31-3-1
all-time (.900) against the teams that are 50/50.

Thus, I'm not going to fear them, worry about them, nor fret over them. I do, however,
smile, when I see them on our schedule and encourage us participating against them in
a Bowl game...where we are 9-1-1 vs all of them.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. ACC
2. SEC
3. Pac 12
4. B1G
5. Big 12

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ff_889919_xl.jpg

Missouri - the only school in the SEC with a 3000 yd passer, 1000 yard receiver and 100 yard rusher last year

they will win at least 7 games this year

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so tough to call. They're all strong, barely any separation at all from my perspective. I could get behind your order of rank. It depends on criteria too. Honestly top to bottom the PAC and Big 12 may be the best of all of them.
Yep. Put nearly any P5 team in one of the other four and they'll perform just about like they did in the one they left. JMO

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC has Clemson and Florida State, SEC has Bama, The Pac 12 have USC and Washington, B1G has Ohio State, Michigan and sometimes Penn State, while the Big 12 has Oklahoma and arguably Oklahoma State.
Only four of those ten you listed have national championships in the past several years. And using your criteria of playoff wins as an indicator, Florida State gets eliminated too! They have zero CFP wins. Hell, USC, Michigan and Okie Lite haven't even been in the playoffs.

In 3 years of playoffs, only tOSU, Oregon, Bama and Clemson have ANY CFP wins!
tOSU is 2-1 beating Bama, Oregon, losing to Clem
Clem is 3-1 beating OU, tOSU and Bama and losing to Bama
Bama is 3-2 beating Sparty, Clem and Washington and losting to tOSU and Clem.
Oregon is 1-1 beating FSU and losing to tOSU

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, last year Washington St was 2nd in the Pac12 North. They lost to subdivision team last season...and were still #2 in the North. Combine that with UCLA and Oregon having horrendous seasons last year, I'm not sure why I would rank the conference higher. I'm all for convincing, so given what I've said above, why am I underestimating the Pac12 this year in conference strength compared to the other power 5 conferences?

You keep harping on that Washington State lost to a sub division team but Clemson lost to an unranked Pitt. You think less of Clemson? UCLA lost their starting QB and a lot of their O line. They get him back. He's actually pretty good so if he's healthy you shouldnt get a 4 win team. Thats one reason.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep harping on that Washington State lost to a sub division team but Clemson lost to an unranked Pitt. You think less of Clemson? UCLA lost their starting QB and a lot of their O line. They get him back. He's actually pretty good so if he's healthy you shouldnt get a 4 win team. Thats one reason.

You mean an unranked Pitt team that beat another top 5 ranked team? You know they beat Penn St too?

I'm sorry, but that loss to a sub conference school is a black eye to any conference...especially if it happens to one of the top teams in the conference. The same happened to Iowa a few seasons ago, and it definitely hurt the B10 IMO.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 may be the best from top to bottom. Since Kansas is better than Texas that makes Texas the worst team in the Big 12 which would be slightly better than a Rutgers or Vanderbilt.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean an unranked Pitt team that beat another top 5 ranked team? You know they beat Penn St too?

I'm sorry, but that loss to a sub conference school is a black eye to any conference...especially if it happens to one of the top teams in the conference. The same happened to Iowa a few seasons ago, and it definitely hurt the B10 IMO.
You're being disingenuous by harping on that loss and that team. Stanford was the third best team in the Pac last season but you keep mentioning Washington st. as your reason to downplay the PAC. You do realize That Washington, Stanford, USC ,Utah and Colorado all finished ranked higher than Washington State right? And I don't get how telling me your Bg10 winner lost to an unranked team strengthens your argument.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, you can have as many ranked teams as you want but if you can't make the playoff and either win 1 game or the National Title, you're not as good as the other conferences who did

So you got the title of your own thread wrong then.
Great.

Well in games played by Big12 teams vs the 3 listed leagues.

The last 5 years...

Big12 is 5-6 vs the ACC
Big12 is 9-7 vs the Big10
Big12 is 7-10 vs the SEC

The last 10 years...

Big12 is 17-15 vs the ACC
Big12 is 25-11 vs the Big10
Big12 is 15-27 vs the SEC

I don't know.

Over the last 10 years...

2 Big10 teams have had winning records for all 10 seasons.
2 Big12 teams have had winning records for all 10 seasons.

1 Big10 team has had a winning record for 9 of those seasons.
1 Big12 team has had a winning record for 9 of those seasons.

3 Big10 teams have had winning records for 8 of those seasons.
1 Big12 team has had a winning record for 8 of those seasons.

1 Big10 team has had a winning record for 7 of those seasons.
2 Big12 teams have had winning records for 7 of those seasons.

2 Big10 teams have had winning records for 6 of those seasons.
2 Big12 teams have had winning records for 6 of those seasons.

5 Big10 teams have had more losing seasons than winning seasons in those seasons
2 Big12 teams have had more losing seasons than winning seasons in those seasons.

The summary would be...

64.3% of Big10 teams have had more winning seasons than losing seasons in the last 10 years.
80.0% of Big12 teams have had more winning seasons than losing seasons in the last 10 years.

Conclusion: It appears that the Big10 is more "bottom heavy" than "top heavy."

Oh
That's going to leave a mark isn't it.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think a conference could have half it's members in the top 25 and be considered the worst.

Fuck em all. There's only one conference I follow....and it only has one team in it.

The AFC East? (I know it's a division but I thought it would be a good joke)