• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Fields going to the Steelers? Apparently, Tomlin is talking to people about how much he loves the guy.
Pretty sure Fields will do better wherever he goes. And the Bears would be right to trade him.

And wrong to draft Caleb Williams.

IMO.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Fields will do better wherever he goes. And the Bears would be right to trade him.

And wrong to draft Caleb Williams.

IMO.

You a Maye guy or Daniels guy?

Or you saying they should go a different direction at 1.01 then take whatever QB falls next?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You a Maye guy or Daniels guy?

Or you saying they should go a different direction at 1.01 then take whatever QB falls next?
For Chicago, Daniels over Maye. But I wouldn't mind Penix. You want a guy who's been through some stuff. Trade Fields, trade down with the Commanders - and again with the Pats if you can pull it off but you probably can't. Take Harrison, take a QB at 9 (Penix?) and use the rest of your trade haul to help your o-line and defense.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Chicago, Daniels over Maye. But I wouldn't mind Penix. You want a guy who's been through some stuff. Trade Fields, trade down with the Commanders - and again with the Pats if you can pull it off but you probably can't. Take Harrison, take a QB at 9 (Penix?) and use the rest of your trade haul to help your o-line and defense.

Hopefully more OL, their D was getting pretty good once they robbed WAS

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any of them (Chicago, washington, or NE) would be well advised to trade with Tenn, Atl, Denver or Vegas.

The crap shoot at QB as far as the draft is concerned, I don't see enough of a difference between Williams, Maye, Daniel's and Penix, Nix, McArthy

Odds are only 1 or 2 of those 6 will amount to anything, so even if both the guys are in that to tier, someone is getting hosed anyways. Might as well take the extra picks and try to improve elsewhere as well.

Obviously, if I were the GM's of those teams in the 7-12 range, I wouldn't be trading a damned thing to move up either

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any of them (Chicago, washington, or NE) would be well advised to trade with Tenn, Atl, Denver or Vegas.

The crap shoot at QB as far as the draft is concerned, I don't see enough of a difference between Williams, Maye, Daniel's and Penix, Nix, McArthy

Odds are only 1 or 2 of those 6 will amount to anything, so even if both the guys are in that to tier, someone is getting hosed anyways. Might as well take the extra picks and try to improve elsewhere as well.

Obviously, if I were the GM's of those teams in the 7-12 range, I wouldn't be trading a damned thing to move up either

I'd be pretty surprised if titans moved up 2 drafts in a row for QB after giving up two 3rds for Levis when they have such glaring needs at OL and WR, which should have some primo options available at their pick. Callahan and Carthon may have other plans tho.

Don't want them to give up what it would take to get Caleb, would rather they tried to get Daniels, Nix, or JJ if they do go QB, for the reasons you mentioned

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty surprised if titans moved up 2 drafts in a row for QB after giving up two 3rds for Levis when they have such glaring needs at OL and WR, which should have some primo options available at their pick. Callahan and Carthon may have other plans tho.

Don't want them to give up what it would take to get Caleb, would rather they tried to get Daniels, Nix, or JJ if they do go QB, for the reasons you mentioned

I never understood that logic. It’s one thing if you don’t think Caleb is good. But if you think he is the best qb in the class. And think he should be a franchise qb then paying the price for him is most likely worth it. Now of course unless a trade is made we will never see what the player was really worth in a trade. As most of the time the set price is to scare off teams and see who is really interested before negotiations.

But i never like the logic that the others in the class are comparable to the best. I mean how often do we see multiple qbs of the same class being studs.

No, being perceived the best on draft day doesn’t guarantee being the best. But it does make their odds of being best better than the rest.

Really my point is if a team likes a qb prospect they should always pay something for them.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a radio discussion on Caleb Williams and Fields. The gist was that even tho Fields has shown flashes of greatness, in truth he has not been consistent.
So the argument was, if a raw Caleb Williams will get you a "floor" of what Fields has done over the last 4 years, then just take CW.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood that logic. It’s one thing if you don’t think Caleb is good. But if you think he is the best qb in the class. And think he should be a franchise qb then paying the price for him is most likely worth it. Now of course unless a trade is made we will never see what the player was really worth in a trade. As most of the time the set price is to scare off teams and see who is really interested before negotiations.

But i never like the logic that the others in the class are comparable to the best. I mean how often do we see multiple qbs of the same class being studs.

No, being perceived the best on draft day doesn’t guarantee being the best. But it does make their odds of being best better than the rest.

Really my point is if a team likes a qb prospect they should always pay something for them.
Well, you can look no further than last year. The Panthers gave up a fortune to move up and draft the wrong guy. Bryce Young was the consensus #1 pick and yet it certainly looks like it should have been CJ Stroud. Of course that could change, but it just goes to show you that "your guy" could be the wrong one. Remember that Patrick Mahomes went after Mitch Trubisky and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson both went after Sam Darnold. And that isn't even to mention the starters that were drafted after the 1st round (which means any team could have drafted them). Jalen Hurts at #53, Dak Prescott at #135, Kirk Cousins at #102, Russell Wilson #75. The hit rate of 1st round quarterbacks has always been around 50%. Even if you look at the most famous draft in NFL history in 1983, you had 6 quarterbacks taken in the 1st round, 3 of them ended up being hall of famers (Elway, Kelly, Marino) and 3 of them ended up being just guys, Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, and Ken O'Brien.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a radio discussion on Caleb Williams and Fields. The gist was that even tho Fields has shown flashes of greatness, in truth he has not been consistent.
So the argument was, if a raw Caleb Williams will get you a "floor" of what Fields has done over the last 4 years, then just take CW.
I know it will never happen, but I would SO love to see Fields go to the Vikings.

As far as the Bears go, my condolences to DJ Moore owners next season.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that's only looking at one pick, one guy, in a vacuum. You can think Williams is a franchise, sure, but what if you also think JJ McArthy could be, or is? Are you certain enough that you'd forgo the extra 3-4 picks you could get along with a guy whom you also believe could be your franchise QB? Same applies, but in the inverse, for those teams outside the top 3, all of whom need a lot more than just QB to turn their teams around, they'd better be damn sure that the guys who might fall to them just can't cut it to make that move

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was only talking about the titans current situation. If anyone in that org thinks Levis is a franchise QB, would be very illogical to trade the future pick haul that it would take to get Caleb. I'd prefer for them to keep their future picks and continue to build the team around Levis. Assuming it would cost pick 1.07, '25 1st, plus at least another 3rd if not 2nd rounder at a minimum, I'm out.

There will be other good QBs worth drafting in the future and the titans have too many weak roster spots to act like they are one QB away from a title push. Would make being a fan a whole lot more fun if they were able to upgrade OL, LB, and secondary in FA and the draft this year. Make it a team like the Bucs with Winston, make it a place that an aging star QB wants to come and try that one last push for a SB (assuming it doesnt work out with Levis) kinda like your Jets did with A A ron

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you can look no further than last year. The Panthers gave up a fortune to move up and draft the wrong guy. Bryce Young was the consensus #1 pick and yet it certainly looks like it should have been CJ Stroud. Of course that could change, but it just goes to show you that "your guy" could be the wrong one. Remember that Patrick Mahomes went after Mitch Trubisky and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson both went after Sam Darnold. And that isn't even to mention the starters that were drafted after the 1st round (which means any team could have drafted them). Jalen Hurts at #53, Dak Prescott at #135, Kirk Cousins at #102, Russell Wilson #75. The hit rate of 1st round quarterbacks has always been around 50%. Even if you look at the most famous draft in NFL history in 1983, you had 6 quarterbacks taken in the 1st round, 3 of them ended up being hall of famers (Elway, Kelly, Marino) and 3 of them ended up being just guys, Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, and Ken O'Brien.

this is always my problem with the draft... we base our opinions on results... on draft day we don't have that...

the right move on draft day, is not necessary going to be the right move... but it is all they have...

its pretty simple, if you think a QB prospect is better than your current situation, and you(the team) think that QB prospect is the best available, you should always take him... having the future tell you that you are wrong is irrelevant on draft day...

But being wrong, when you took the gamble on that player, will easily get a coach or GM fired... but that is a separate thing...

there will always be examples of players succeeding outside their draft position... that's not a fluke either, but on draft day, if you are to bet who has the better career, won't you base it on similar standards that teams do when they make their picks...

think about it this way... we are all fantasy people... last year on draft day if anyone picked Puka Nacua in the 2nd or third round, do you think that person on draft day would have been told they made a good pick... or would they have been told that it was a terrible pick, and would have been probably laughed out of the draft room...

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think about it this way... we are all fantasy people... last year on draft day if anyone picked Puka Nacua in the 2nd or third round, do you think that person on draft day would have been told they made a good pick... or would they have been told that it was a terrible pick, and would have been probably laughed out of the draft room...
I think this statement is proving Treff's point. Why trade up for "your guy" when you can draft a guy like Puka in the 5th round that ends up being better? Every other "expert" talent evaluator in the NFL had a shot at him and missed. Those guys are just as clueless as to whether a prospect will work out as we are and they are just as arrogant in real life as all of us are in a fantasy draft when somebody does draft a guy way too early and we turn our noses up at them even if that guy ends up being great at the end of the year. The problem with GM's and the scouting department is that they all think they are smarter than every other one in the league when it comes to talent and they just aren't. They are guessing too. They have just as many misses as hits in every draft, which is why when a team hits on several draft picks in a draft it's considered an anomaly and not the norm.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its pretty simple, if you think a QB prospect is better than your current situation, and you(the team) think that QB prospect is the best available, you should always take him...

that's only simple if you have the pick where 'your guy' will get drafted. Sending a bunch of picks for one guy tends to screw more teams over then it helps.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why don't the Bears keep Fields and take Marvin?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why don't the Bears keep Fields and take Marvin?

This is the final year of his contract, Fields will cost at least $22mil next year if they exercise his option and I'd imagine quite a bit more if they choose to re-sign him. Bears aren't sniffing a title run this season, but they also aren't a bottom feeder with a legit shot at 1.01 in 2025 (imo).

Either get a haul for trading back or take the QB and move Fields