• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your thoughts on Drake Maye?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like with Caleb Williams, Drake Maye has decided to skip his bowl game against West Virginia. Maye is projected to be the 1st or 2nd quarterback off the board and a 1st round draft selection.

Basic Facts about him:
- 21 years old. Will turn 22 on August 30th.
- 6'4, 230 pounds
- Played three years for the North Carolina Tar Heels.
- Named ACC Player of the Year, ACC Offensive Player of the Year, and ACC Rookie of the Year in 2022.
- 17/26 as a starter
- In his two-year starting experience, he averaged 305 passing yards per game, 8.4 yards per pass, and scored 78 touchdowns to 16 interceptions.
- 8 UNC quarterbacks have been drafted into the NFL. Mitch Trubisky (1st round, 3rd pick) and TJ Yates (5th round, 21st pick) were the last two.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average.

Reminds me of his predecessor at North Carolina in Sam Howell, and mostly like Mitch Trubisky (Another North Carolina dude).

How anybody could draft another North Carolina QB in the top 2, much less the 1st 2 rounds is mind-boggling to say the least.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average.

Reminds me of his predecessor at North Carolina in Sam Howell, and mostly like Mitch Trubisky (Another North Carolina dude).

How anybody could draft another North Carolina QB in the top 2, much less the 1st 2 rounds is mind-boggling to say the least.

So he couldn't even approach being as good a scrub as Purdy?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me a mix of Trevor Lawrence and Sam Howell. Peaked early in college and stayed good but not overwhelmingly so. Seems accurate, can throw accurately on the run. Can look defenders off. Double pumps the ball sometimes for better touch. Might be prone to getting sacked. Lots of designed runs and/or takes off a lot when the first read isnt there. Kinda awkward looking sometimes when moving around with the football.

I think all of these QBs are being over-valued. Another year of hype and bullshit and a bunch of guys not ready for the NFL who will likely only be average.
Average NFL QB on a rookie contract is worth a lot, though

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over It GIF by Kathie Lee and Hoda

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure I want to spend a top pick on either Williams or Maye. I think they are both going to be average.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Panthers win another game and make the #1 pick a bit more interesting? Pack, Jags and Bucs left.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Panthers win another game and make the #1 pick a bit more interesting? Pack, Jags and Bucs left.

That was still one of the goofiest picks of the draft (Bryce Young). I thought it was a lock for Stroud. When they took Young I was thinking, "OMG will Stroud fall to Seattle?) but then Houston fucked us over. Eh Carroll probably would've drafted his fuckin' corner anyway... most expensive secondary in the NFL... and one of the worst to boot..

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington benching Howell yesterday was an odd choice. Team is going nowhere and one of the remaining tasks was to continue to evaluate Howell moving forward. Did they just end that evaluation? Are they now in the QB mix in the draft?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average.

Purdy sucks!!!!

LOL.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of bust potential is dependent on the situation they are drafted into.

Bill stay away... Because both will be busts if either come to New England

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure I want to spend a top pick on either Williams or Maye. I think they are both going to be average.
Best I can tell, the 'Blue Chip' prospects are Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr, and Olumuyiwa Fashanu. I do think that if you see Williams having maturity or character issues then maybe Marvin Harrison Jr comes into play for a team like the Bears but certainly not for a team like the Patriots.

I mentioned Drake Maye double pumping the ball. I meant to say that he has a hitch. Herbert had one coming out, too. Fixable but an issue.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best I can tell, the 'Blue Chip' prospects are Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr, and Olumuyiwa Fashanu. I do think that if you see Williams having maturity or character issues then maybe Marvin Harrison Jr comes into play for a team like the Bears but certainly not for a team like the Patriots.

I mentioned Drake Maye double pumping the ball. I meant to say that he has a hitch. Herbert had one coming out, too. Fixable but an issue.

Bowers is often mentioned as blue chip as well, but TE that early is a tough call.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowers is often mentioned as blue chip as well, but TE that early is a tough call.
Its certainly possible. I'm really hesitant to call any TE top tier without seeing a combine. I think to be Blue Chip, he have to be Gronk and do everything or be Antonio Gates and he a high end basketball athlete. Kelce is a bit of a unicorn with a long stride and QB football IQ. Bowers being blue chip means Antonio Gates mold I'm guessing which probably means putting on some weight while retaining the explosiveness.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me a mix of Trevor Lawrence and Sam Howell. Peaked early in college and stayed good but not overwhelmingly so. Seems accurate, can throw accurately on the run. Can look defenders off. Double pumps the ball sometimes for better touch. Might be prone to getting sacked. Lots of designed runs and/or takes off a lot when the first read isnt there. Kinda awkward looking sometimes when moving around with the football.

Average NFL QB on a rookie contract is worth a lot, though

I think you nailed it with your last statement. Right now teams without a good QB scramble on an annual basis to find one and the best way is to draft one in the 1st round because you get financial control for 5 years. That's how it is right now, will that change in the near future, probably not. You can afford from a financial standpoint to miss on that pick and try over within the 5 year period and try to build a team. Unfortunately too many teams miss their picks during that time and break the bank on FAs that don't pan out, so they end up being bad for longer than they probably should.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you nailed it with your last statement. Right now teams without a good QB scramble on an annual basis to find one and the best way is to draft one in the 1st round because you get financial control for 5 years. That's how it is right now, will that change in the near future, probably not. You can afford from a financial standpoint to miss on that pick and try over within the 5 year period and try to build a team. Unfortunately too many teams miss their picks during that time and break the bank on FAs that don't pan out, so they end up being bad for longer than they probably should.
Rookie QB gives you financial control for 5 years. Average GM and coach tenure is about 3 years IIRC. I think generally all three people have their fates intertwined. The rookie QB contract gives you money to support the development of the QB.

The Bears, on the other hand. They might break a record for coaches they run through with Fields if he sticks around.