• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Philadelphia Phillies 2022 Baseball Season

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a lot of trust in Jayson Stark. He’s clued in with great sources and he has integrity. If he doesn’t feel confident in the quality of what he heard he doesn’t run with it. Get it done John Middleton!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a lot of trust in Jayson Stark. He’s clued in with great sources and he has integrity. If he doesn’t feel confident in the quality of what he heard he doesn’t run with it. Get it done John Middleton!

Turner is a winner but Phils should first put their money priorities on the best pitcher out there.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros-Phillies was the least watched World Series on record, according to Sports Media Watch except for the neutral-site 2020 World Series during the COVID pandemic.

The six games averaged 11,784,000 on Fox, down 1.3% from the 11,940,000 for the Atlanta Braves' six-game win over the Astros last year and ahead of only the 9,946,000 for the Los Angeles Dodgers' six-game victory over the Tampa Bay Rays in 2020.

The 12,550,000 viewers for Game 6 made it the least-watched Game 6 on record, according to SMW. The UGA-Tennessee game beat all six World Series game telecasts. And this was still the most-streamed World Series in Fox history.

TV viewership has steadily declined over the years. The graph below shows the average rating (in percentage) and average number of viewers (in millions) for each World Series since 1973

View attachment 313646

I saw that stat as well

But I could care less about the TV ratings
All I know in my house the ratings were 100% - I watched every inning of every post season game lol

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner is a winner but Phils should first put their money priorities on the best pitcher out there.
I’m all about that as well. I say don’t prioritize one or the other. You have to do both if you’re serious. I also want to move Hoskins. On Stark’s appearance he said he’s spoken with Dombrowski and he is willing to listen to trade offers for Rhys and Castellanos. He also said that Dombrowski believes the teams needs more depth in a ton of areas. Stark said he thinks the Phillies will be highly involved in the off season.

I love hearing this. It would be easy for them to have bought into the mirage of the Brewers limping down the stretch and then them getting hot at the right time. That run accomplished a lot. This town is excited about baseball again. Middleton can continue to spend knowing that park will be full again like it was from 2006-2012. They also learned that they have some gamers that can nut up in big spots. They also learned that in playoff baseball defense is even more important and that strike outs are a killer. Here’s me:
1. Trade Rhys for one or two bull pen arms
2. Sign best SS available: my choices in order - Turner, Bogarts, Correa, Swanson
3. Sign Rodon. This is the one that sends them into a different stratosphere. A playoff rotation of Wheeler Rodon Nola Ranger is pretty damn great.
4. Move Schwarber to 1B and sign Yoshida from Japan. Yoshida is primarily your DH. If they get this piece it immediately transforms the lineup. You lose a high strike out guy in Rhys while adding Turner/Bogarts Yoshida who can hit 1-2. They are plate setters that can get Schwarber Harper JT guys on base to work with. They also can reduce the Ks this lineup has a tendency to collectively rack up. They can now win a number of different ways. They can win with power and with timely small ball.
5. Use a mix of FA and AA AAA arms to fill the pen.

The Phil’s have about 68 million coming off the books. My plan above will likely cost another 100-110 million. That’s a net of 30-40 more million in increased spending. I think Middleton has the bug and he will make the commitment. The promise of Phillies fans being excited again and showing up at the park is the piece that will allow him to do what he wants to do…buy a World Series.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies don't need to go to Japan to sign another big hitter. It would be great if they did but they have D. Hall in the system who played quite well in the short time he was called-up to play. Hit a bunch of homers before he was sent back down.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m all about that as well. I say don’t prioritize one or the other. You have to do both if you’re serious. I also want to move Hoskins. On Stark’s appearance he said he’s spoken with Dombrowski and he is willing to listen to trade offers for Rhys and Castellanos. He also said that Dombrowski believes the teams needs more depth in a ton of areas. Stark said he thinks the Phillies will be highly involved in the off season.

I love hearing this. It would be easy for them to have bought into the mirage of the Brewers limping down the stretch and then them getting hot at the right time. That run accomplished a lot. This town is excited about baseball again. Middleton can continue to spend knowing that park will be full again like it was from 2006-2012. They also learned that they have some gamers that can nut up in big spots. They also learned that in playoff baseball defense is even more important and that strike outs are a killer. Here’s me:
1. Trade Rhys for one or two bull pen arms
2. Sign best SS available: my choices in order - Turner, Bogarts, Correa, Swanson
3. Sign Rodon. This is the one that sends them into a different stratosphere. A playoff rotation of Wheeler Rodon Nola Ranger is pretty damn great.
4. Move Schwarber to 1B and sign Yoshida from Japan. Yoshida is primarily your DH. If they get this piece it immediately transforms the lineup. You lose a high strike out guy in Rhys while adding Turner/Bogarts Yoshida who can hit 1-2. They are plate setters that can get Schwarber Harper JT guys on base to work with. They also can reduce the Ks this lineup has a tendency to collectively rack up. They can now win a number of different ways. They can win with power and with timely small ball.
5. Use a mix of FA and AA AAA arms to fill the pen.

The Phil’s have about 68 million coming off the books. My plan above will likely cost another 100-110 million. That’s a net of 30-40 more million in increased spending. I think Middleton has the bug and he will make the commitment. The promise of Phillies fans being excited again and showing up at the park is the piece that will allow him to do what he wants to do…buy a World Series.
If someone is interested in trading for Castellanos I'd do it. (even though Smoltz seems convinced he's going to have a great year next season). He was kind of that last piece they signed before last season and they overpaid for him. Now they have 4 more years at 20 mil. per year.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone is interested in trading for Castellanos I'd do it. (even though Smoltz seems convinced he's going to have a great year next season). He was kind of that last piece they signed before last season and they overpaid for him. Now they have 4 more years at 20 mil. per year.
Digging deeper I went and looked at his stats in year 1 in Cincinnati. He was having a miserable .225 season before he was hurt after like 60-65 games. Maybe it takes this guy time to get comfortable.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Digging deeper I went and looked at his stats in year 1 in Cincinnati. He was having a miserable .225 season before he was hurt after like 60-65 games. Maybe it takes this guy time to get comfortable.
Yeah that was Smoltz's theory. Hopefully he bounces back and has a good year. I can't imagine him having a worse year than he did in 2022.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that was Smoltz's theory. Hopefully he bounces back and has a good year. I can't imagine him having a worse year than he did in 2022.
The guy I really want to move is Rhys.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoskins isn't the problem and a better all-around player than CastellFraudos ever hopes to be.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense to me either jvett. I would think that Dombrowski and the FO would have learned their lesson with 10 years of dumpster diving and actually go after some legit elite pitchers that are available and then they go and do that Crouse move. Just makes no sense!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm insane, but I'd keep both Hoskins and Castellanos. Castellanos fouls off so many pitches it must be his stance at the plate which he needs to work on. Seems correctable. But what do I know.