• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9ers vs. Cowboys... the (regular season) rubber match

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas made adjustments defensively against you guys last year in the playoffs. You guys scored a grand total of 19 points, and averaged 3.5 yards a carry. If Dak doesn't throw 2 INTs and Pollard doesn't break his leg, you guys never even make it to Philly.
If IF IF....If my Aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle. You saying if Dak doesn't throw 2 picks as if it's surprising he did and the exception to the rule instead of it being par for the course with Dak. Pressure situations and turnovers are like peanut butter and jelly when referencing Dak. Deep down you know this and just don't want to admit it.

Just to be clear, Purdy has the same amount of playoff wins as Dak with far less attempts.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super to watch your team! Congrats y’all.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow wasn't expecting that! But it was a nice game against a good defense. :)

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first game I really got to watch Purdy. Such a perfect fit with Kyle.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw someone mention that last season opponents that played the Niners lost following week. Anyone know if that stat is legit? I wouldn’t doubt it given the way the Niners tackle and hit.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw someone mention that last season opponents that played the Niners lost following week. Anyone know if that stat is legit? I wouldn’t doubt it given the way the Niners tackle and hit.
Every opponent that the Niners played last year, with the exception of the Chiefs who had a Bye the week following, lost the next game that they played. That is factual.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every opponent that the Niners played last year, with the exception of the Chiefs who had a Bye the week following, lost the next game that they played. That is factual.
Hellava stat. Respect :yo:

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling about this game... pretty much one of the more complete games against a good team that I can remember. Very clean game in all three phases. And Brock Thurdy showed on a national stage that he's more than a game manager. Hoping we don't see a let down next week in Cleveland, early game back east with a very talented D.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was a surprise. Not only did the Niners win, they won BIG and never trailed. 42-10. That was an epic beatdown.

The Niner offense had more than 400yds of offense and Just about doubled the Dallas TOP, scoring seemingly at will until we put our backups in in the early 4th quarter. And it all happened against the #1 defense in the NFL. Overall, I was surprised to see so many passes called on 3rd and short.

Purdy was excellent out there. He was 17 of 24 for 252yds and 4 TDs. A 144 passer rating.
--Purdy had a great game and did it in about 3 quarters before he was pulled for Darnold. That is amazing against the Dallas defense.
--Purdy hit 7 different receivers in this game, and threw several passes before the receiver was out of his break. Showed some great anticipation. Great growth from Purdy since last year. JT OSullivan called it world-class anticipation on some of the throws to BA, Deebo, and Kittle's third TD (the post route).
--He was 11 of 14 from the beginning of the 3rd quarter till he was pulled in the early 4th. He was slicing up their defense after it had made its halftime adjustments.
--Best throw of the night came on 3rd and 14 and he hits Deebo deep over the middle. Pass went 20 yds in the air and hit Deebo in stride, allowing him rack up YAC yardage.
--Purdy did miss a couple of throws where he had open WRs, but he was just a tad off on the throw. First was a late throw to Aiyuk on first and long. BA had the CB beaten for a post route, and Purdy threw the ball with great anticipation, but the ball was behind BA and allowed the defender to make a play on it. A little low to Aiyuk on another one and a little high to Bell (though catchable).
--It was clear he was not dinking and dunking all day either. He hit multiple throws of more than 20 air yards. On passes of more than 10yds, he leads the league in completion %, TD/INT ratio, and passer rating. He doesn't just dump the ball off and let the playmakers run after the catch. That narrative needs to stop.
--Another thing Purdy does well is learn from his mistakes. Look at how much better he was this year than last year against Dallas. He threw a lot of picks in camp, but so far, this year, he has zero. He was good last year and he looks ever better this year! It can't be disputed that Purdy has improved the offense significantly over a guy like Jimmy. Best offense we've shown in a very long time. Can we keep up that kind of effort all season?

CMC had 19 carries for 51yds and a TD, 2 catches for 27yds. Not a bad day for CMC, as he definitely dragged a lot of defensive attention his way. He was pulled in the 4th quarter with the game out of reach.
--Dallas was focused on stopping the run as they frequently had 8 in the box. They did hold CMC to 2.7ypc, but somehow he was still effective. Niners focused on running the ball anyway. Niner ball carries carried the ball 41 times for 170yds and 2TDs.
--CMC had a great cut block on Kittle's 3rd TD
--CMC did fumble the ball at the 2 yardline though. I'm sure he'll be beating himself up for that one b/c he's been very secure with the ball since he got here. Still, we were due for a turnover or two and it finally cropped up. It didn't hurt the team much since we stopped Dallas's drive quickly and then scored on our next possession.
--Looked to me that the Cowboys were taking cheap shots at CMC throughout the game. 2 personal fouls, including a very dangerous facemask on the first play of the game. This is the 2nd game in a row where multiple defenders will get fined for hits on CMC. That is a concerning trend.
--Mason had 10 carries for 69yds and a TD. Mason showed some good stuff out there. Good vision and great burst on that TD run.
--Juice had himself a very nice day. Not only was he a great blocker, but he had 4 catches for 26yds and a TD. I mean one of his catches came on an RPO where he ran a slant! A FB running a slant? And it worked. Weird.

The Niner receivers were opportunistic big play artists in this one.
--Aiyuk had 4 catches for 58 yards, including a 25yarder. Hell, he had a 30+yard pass called back due to penalty--and the throw was absolute dime just over the CB's outstretched hand.
--BA did run the wrong route on the play where Purdy threw to open/empty field and was nearly called for intentional grounding. Purdy expected a deep out, but BA kept running up the seam.
--Deebo had 3 catches for 55 yards and 5 carries for 30yds. He had a huge 42 yarder on 3rd down where Purdy hit him across the middle.
--Jennings had his usual clutch catch for a first down. This one for 19 yards that came on 3rd down (naturally). The Niners scored a TD just a few plays later.
--Kittle had 3 catches for 65 yards and 3 TDs. Kittle was a machine out there and was wide open on all 3 of those TDs. Kittle's 2nd TD on the flea flicker reverse play, Kittle did a great job of selling the block before taking off for the endzone.
--Kittle said after the game that the post route TD was also called last year in the playoff game against Dallas, but they held him on the play--it was the 3rd down play where Dallas was flagged for holding despite sacking Purdy, and it gave the Niners a new set of downs in the redzone (and ended in a TD).

The Oline should be celebrated for this one.
--TW had a penalty for false start, but he was very good in this one. He was frequently asked to block Parsons 1 on 1 and he stoned the guy.
--McKivitz got more help in this one, but he held his own for sure. He had a better game than McGlinchey did last season that's for sure, but he did have a false start (with Parsons across from him). Even when going against Parsons one on one, he did pretty well. It was astounding!
--Banks left the game with a bicep injury. We have to hope it isn't too bad. Team is "cautiously optimistic" that his injury isn't season ending. I saw one report that says he has a mild shoulder strain and is day to day. That's good news.
--Burford didn't have a great game. I'd say he was average at best. He also committed a holding penalty that called back a 30yd pass to Aiyuk.
--Our running game seemed to keep getting about 4 ypc. Not great, but just enough. I think the difference there was Brendel wasn't able to get to the 2nd level very often and those 2nd level blocks are what really unlock big plays on the ground.
--Parsons was a nonfactor in the game. I can't believe I just said that. He had only 4 total tackles, no sacks, and very little pressure. Dallas moved him around from TW's side to McKivitz's side and sometimes at offball LB. The Niner blocking scheme and the Olinemen kept him from making an impact. It was amazing. Though I was surprised to see him line up against TW so much as I expected him to camp out in front of McKivitz.

The SF defense was dominant.
--In the first half, Dallas had less than 100 yards of net offense. Dallas had 7 possessions in the first half. They only got a 1st down on ONE of them.
--Dallas only ran 7 plays in Niner territory all night
--Dallas had only 197yds of offense on the night and only EIGHT first downs (SF had 25).
--Dak was 14 of 24 for only 153yds, 1TD, 3 INTs. He was pulled in the 4th quarter. He looked uncomfortable all night, as the Niner pass pressure hurried him. Dak has a few receivers open that he just missed. Sure, one of the picks wasn't his fault, it was a tipped ball off a WR, but the other 2 were classic Dak turnovers where he either shouldn't have ever thrown the ball or else the ball was way off.
--Pollard had only 8 carries for 29yds. The Niners run defense was spot on all night long and the Cowboys had to abandon the running game when they fell behind so far.
--I figured Lamb was going to get his numbers, but the Niners held him to 5 targets, 4 catches for 49yds. Huge kudos to the Niner secondary. All but 20yds of Lamb's yardage came on ONE play. Other than that, he was offensive afterthought. I mean Pollarrd had 4 catches for about as many yards as Lamb.
--Niner defense was great at tackling in this game, very few missed tackles.

The Dline was very good. They held the Dallas running game down for the most part and made Dak hurry his throws often. And they did all that with Dallas having all of their starting Olinemen for the first time all year!
--Bosa and Armstead combined for 1 sack, but they had frequent pressure and forced Dak to get rid of the ball earlier than he wanted to. Bosa, AA, and Givens combined for 9 QB hits on the night.
-- I thought Bosa was being held on a couple of plays in the 2nd quarter and Shanahan was yelling at the refs about it
--Givens got a sack too and also made the heads up play to recover the fumble on the sideline
--Hargrave was double teamed a lot on the night. He still got a nice TFL on his only tackle

Warner had 8 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL, an INT, an a forced fumble. Warner was everywhere. He was also very good in coverage.
--Greenlaw was playing angry. He had 5 solo tackles, 2 TFL, and a sack. Greenlaw is headed for a pro bowl this year if he keeps it up.
--Even our base down LB Burks got 5 tackles and an INT.
--The LBs were flying around, great tackling on the edges too.

The secondary was surprisingly good in this one. Other than 2 or 3 big plays, the secondary made Dallas take the short throws and move slowly down the field. And Dak couldn't do it.
--Oliver gave up the 29yd TD to Turpin, but he was otherwise pretty good. Particularly as a tackler.
--Ward did a great job on 2 deep routes in particular where he was running down the sideline with a WR without committing a penalty. Make Dak hit the throw and he couldn't do it.
--Demo was moved around again and he had a good game here. He had a pbu that tipped the ball into the air where Warner got the INT
--Ambry Thomas wasn't the whole liability we feared. He wasn't in the game lot for the early parts of the game.
--Gipson got an INT where Dak way overthrew a deep ball and both safeties had nice nights in coverage, keeping Dallas from taking the top off the defense

ST was pretty good. Wishnowsky averaged 46 yards per punt and twice downed a punt inside the 10. Bell fair caught one of those puntsn (he continues to be a good ST player if nothing else). Moody hit all of his PATs and didn't kick the ball out of bounds on a kickoff.

Dallas was thoroughly outcoached by SF.
--Shanny's game plan neutralized Parsons and that great Dallas pass rush. That is an amazing feat. Both Parsons and Lawrence (who wrecked us last year) were nonfactors. That is excellent blocking and scheming. I mean, Dallas had the #1 defense in the NFL and the Niners shredded them. The playcalling often had receivers wideopen for big plays (yes, something he could do for any QB) and Purdy found them and got them the ball (the part that not every QB can do).
--Interesting to call the trick play. A great call against a very aggressive defense. It caught Dallas completely off guard. Great playcalling in this one without a doubt.
--Shanny did finally get CMC some rest in this one, putting in Mason several times when the game was still in doubt. STill, CMC had about 25 touches again. That is something that continues to bear watching. It was great that the game was a blow out so we could rest him for the entire 4th quarter.
--Wilks also had a great game. He slowed the Dallas offense down and forced Dak to make the short passes consistently and Dallas couldn't do it. The front 4 got some pressure here and there, and it rattled Dak. Dak struggles against zone and we played a lot of zone (duh).

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the season, On passes between 10-19yds, Purdy is 27 of 31 for 490yds, 4TDs, 0 INTs. Perfect passer rating 158.3.

Another interesting stat is that the Cowboys never got inside the SF 20. So, Dallas was 0/0 in redzone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For the season, On passes between 10-19yds, Purdy is 27 of 31 for 490yds, 4TDs, 0 INTs. Perfect passer rating 158.3.

Another interesting stat is that the Cowboys never got inside the SF 20. So, Dallas was 0/0 in redzone.
Purdy is the key and he's not only completing 'gimmies', but also medium routes. These are huge plays and some just over the LB's.

This is also indicative of the pass blocking, if Dallas didn't affect them much then the pass blocking is doing well. Not surprising as they've now been playing 5 games together and communication should be good. Pass blocking also includes the TE's and RB's, good job.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnnydel's defense review from the game:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clearly, Dallas is good at home so obviously, we don't want to lose the #1 seed to them. Not saying we still couldn't beat them, but we'd have an extra game to play first.

Anyway, Dallas does have Buffalo, Miami, and Detroit left on their schedule. No guarantee they even hang onto the NFC East Division.