• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul Goldschmidt: Worth 2nd Pick?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like you misread my comment. Your talking about a player being a bust with your first round pick. What I am talking about is playing it safe and not going with flash.

And I do think Stanton is safe, he may miss games, but look at what he does when he does play. He is heads over the rest that his value+ his replacement value is still easily a first round pick. And then what if he doesn't need a replacement??

Well, Stanton is the "flash" you're talking about whether you realize it or not.

I would not mind taking Stanton this year in a league that starts fresh each season, but I just traded him away in a 10-keeper league based on his perceived value right now - I don't think it will ever be higher, and if it is, it won't be long.

A young slugger who's not only had leg/trunk issues, but now his hands are breaking for no reason other than the transfer of force to the bat? Big red flag to me.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even bigger than that - his fucking hand broke for no reason. I think there's a reasonable chance that his contract goes down as one of the worst evah.
Yeah, guys that have their body break down early, don't usually stop having it break down.

Even if his hadn't, I don't put him at the level of a Top 5 pick personally.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Stanton is the "flash" you're talking about whether you realize it or not.

I would not mind taking Stanton this year in a league that starts fresh each season, but I just traded him away in a 10-keeper league based on his perceived value right now - I don't think it will ever be higher, and if it is, it won't be long.

A young slugger who's not only had leg/trunk issues, but now his hands are breaking for no reason other than the transfer of force to the bat? Big red flag to me.

I am only thinking about rotisserie. I agree he is not safe in H2H where consistency trumps all.

But take his numbers last year and add it to the average fantasy replacement player and he was easily a top 10 player. Take his numbers the season before, he WAS a top 5 player. I see no reason for anyone to think he can't hit 1HR every 4 games he plays. So unless you think he can't even play 50 games this season then don't take him. But 80 or more and he is clearly a first round value.

No, I am not expecting him to hit like he did last year in only 47 games. But him+ Average replacement is easily a 30 hr guy with 80+ RBIs. To me that is very safe. And again, if he does play 120+ games then he will be golden.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah, Goldy's a good pick in that spot. I'm with Milk on the four - Harper, Trout, Goldy and Kershaw. If I had to choose between Harper and Trout, I might lean towards Harper even though I think he's a dick. Even dicks can have monster years and I think he's set up for one if Dusty doesn't somehow muck up the works.

Gotta agree with the naysayers on Stanton...but man, with those fences moved in, just think what he could do.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah, Goldy's a good pick in that spot. I'm with Milk on the four - Harper, Trout, Goldy and Kershaw. If I had to choose between Harper and Trout, I might lean towards Harper even though I think he's a dick. Even dicks can have monster years and I think he's set up for one if Dusty doesn't somehow muck up the works.

Gotta agree with the naysayers on Stanton...but man, with those fences moved in, just think what he could do.

How does he have a job?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but Trout has played at a HOF level for FOUR straight seasons. Harper has done it once.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope others have this view on Stanton, and i can get him cheaper in my auction league... Was planning on paying up to 50 units for him...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Trout has played at a HOF level for FOUR straight seasons. Harper has done it once.

But with Trout no longer being a threat for 20 SBs(probably not much better than 10 anymore), we should only base it on the offensive numbers... And harper's ONE season has been significantly better than any Trout season....

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But with Trout no longer being a threat for 20 SBs(probably not much better than 10 anymore), we should only base it on the offensive numbers... And harper's ONE season has been significantly better than any Trout season....
Yeah... no

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why I would take Trout this year in a one year league, but what Harper did last year makes him very intriguing going forward. I noted the following on the Albert Pujols Contract Thread:

Measured by OPS+, Harper's 2015 season was better than any season from Miguel Cabrera, Manny Ramirez, or Albert Pujols. He was 22 years old.

I've got Harper in my keeper league, and I'm really excited about the possibilities, but with a high pick in a one-year league, I'm taking Trout this season.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope others have this view on Stanton, and i can get him cheaper in my auction league... Was planning on paying up to 50 units for him...

Conversely, I'm happy there were people in my keeper league with your view on Stanton so that I got more for him in my trade than I think he's worth.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. And he is set up for an even better one.

I would LOVE for that to happen, but I don't share your confidence. I think he's elite going forward, I'll believe that he can improve on that historic season when I see it.