• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Padres vs M's 5/30-5/31

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starting pitching has been bad for the M's for awhile now.

love that the offense has picked them up as much as they have.

it's a big if, but if they can manage to all play well at the same time for a few weeks, we'll be sitting pretty heading into july.

oh yeah, and that seager guy...totally overrated

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sucks I turned it off and had to check the box score to see what happened. Looks like Lee came up big.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sucks I turned it off and had to check the box score to see what happened. Looks like Lee came up big.

Per posts on here, you must not be a true fan. Shame on you. Shame I say.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've turned the channel on games that seemed hopeless in the past and turned back later to see that they weren't as hopeless as I thought, so I'm not in a position to blast anyone for not watching every second of every single game. I get that not everyone can afford to spend their time (or money) watching baseball when they have families and other obligations that trump baseball, and I know what it's like when things don't go well; you feel like you've wasted your time and could have been doing something more fun or meaningful or important with your time. I am just so damn tired of the doom and gloom around here when the Mariners lose or look like they're gonna lose only to have it passed off as "venting frustration". Do you think I haven't been frustrated at times with this year's team? Of course I have. I just choose not to let the frustration from previous innings, starts, games, series' or seasons influence my reactions to the present game if I can help it.

This is the best hitting team we've had in forever and up until about a week ago, it was the best pitching team in the American League. Maybe the recent pitching funk the team is in will last a while or maybe it's a fluke. I guess the difference between me and some of the other people on this board is that I'm prepared to call it a fluke, while others are saying "Well, it was fun while it lasted". So many people are conditioned to believe that any hiccup in a season for the Mariners is going to go from being a hiccup to a trend to a season ruiner because they remember the same things happening in previous seasons that did turn into season ruiners. I choose not to believe that with this year's team because they haven't let hiccups become trends to this point.

If anything, threads like this just remind me why I don't like posting on game/series threads while I'm watching the games and why I don't think I'll be doing it anymore. It's not that I can't handle people criticizing the team or can't handle opinions that don't line up exactly with my own. I just can't handle the day-to-day (or inning-to-inning) shift from "Man, this team is fun to watch!" to "Oh my god... this guy is terrible, this guy needs to go and I can't believe this is happening to us AGAIN!". I come to boards like this to interact with my fellow fans and have fun talking about our favorite team, but it's difficult for me to do that when I know that if anything goes wrong with the team, the sky is gonna start falling in the series thread.

A little while back, I described this fluctuation between happiness about the team one minute and doom and gloom the next as "Randy Quaid from Major League II Syndrome". You can dismiss it all you want, but just go back through some of these game/series threads and then watch how that character in that movie acts throughout and I guarantee you'll see similarities. Conditioned or not, it's thoroughly depressing to see so much negativity being dished out about a fun, FIRST PLACE team.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was no doubt a game to remember. The last time the M's was involved in anything like this was 2001 against the Indians when they were up 14-2. That game was a memorial one because it pretty much kept the M's from writing history with 117 wins. Ask anyone and I bet you they still remember that game clearly.

Yesterday was a 2001 indians-m's-esqu game. Except they we're on the right side this time and people will remember this one.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've turned the channel on games that seemed hopeless in the past and turned back later to see that they weren't as hopeless as I thought, so I'm not in a position to blast anyone for not watching every second of every single game. I get that not everyone can afford to spend their time (or money) watching baseball when they have families and other obligations that trump baseball, and I know what it's like when things don't go well; you feel like you've wasted your time and could have been doing something more fun or meaningful or important with your time. I am just so damn tired of the doom and gloom around here when the Mariners lose or look like they're gonna lose only to have it passed off as "venting frustration". Do you think I haven't been frustrated at times with this year's team? Of course I have. I just choose not to let the frustration from previous innings, starts, games, series' or seasons influence my reactions to the present game if I can help it.

This is the best hitting team we've had in forever and up until about a week ago, it was the best pitching team in the American League. Maybe the recent pitching funk the team is in will last a while or maybe it's a fluke. I guess the difference between me and some of the other people on this board is that I'm prepared to call it a fluke, while others are saying "Well, it was fun while it lasted". So many people are conditioned to believe that any hiccup in a season for the Mariners is going to go from being a hiccup to a trend to a season ruiner because they remember the same things happening in previous seasons that did turn into season ruiners. I choose not to believe that with this year's team because they haven't let hiccups become trends to this point.

If anything, threads like this just remind me why I don't like posting on game/series threads while I'm watching the games and why I don't think I'll be doing it anymore. It's not that I can't handle people criticizing the team or can't handle opinions that don't line up exactly with my own. I just can't handle the day-to-day (or inning-to-inning) shift from "Man, this team is fun to watch!" to "Oh my god... this guy is terrible, this guy needs to go and I can't believe this is happening to us AGAIN!". I come to boards like this to interact with my fellow fans and have fun talking about our favorite team, but it's difficult for me to do that when I know that if anything goes wrong with the team, the sky is gonna start falling in the series thread.

A little while back, I described this fluctuation between happiness about the team one minute and doom and gloom the next as "Randy Quaid from Major League II Syndrome". You can dismiss it all you want, but just go back through some of these game/series threads and then watch how that character in that movie acts throughout and I guarantee you'll see similarities. Conditioned or not, it's thoroughly depressing to see so much negativity being dished out about a fun, FIRST PLACE team.

I get what you're saying, don't necessarily disagree except for the bold part... Why is it ok to vent your frustration in general but it's not ok for others to do it during their game while they're watching it together? I enjoy talking about the game with others during the game regardless if it's going well, a tight game or going bad... EVERYONE is an arm chair QB, whether it's at home watching the game with their friends/family, watching it alone or watching it while commenting w/ others about the game... I guess I have thick skin and it doesn't bother me as much as it does others... If you don't want to witness the inning by inning discussions, etc, then I don't understand why others read them when they come here if they don't like to read what's being posted... Isn't that why you stay away during the games? Just go to the end and post a comment...

Posting during the game isn't any different than actually watching the game... For example, when D. Lee hit the 3 run homer, people at home were probably like, F'YA! Well, people also said the same thing too but post that same comment on this thread while that's happening so it's not any different for those at the bar or at a friends house screaming F'YA vs saying it on a message board... Same thing applies if you're watching the game and Miley is just getting raked over the coals and you say to yourself, "Why is he still in there?"... We just post what we're thinking as well... While watching the game, most are verbally saying the very things we're posting on here, while we're watching the games... Call it thinking out loud if you will...

I just don't like it when others bring the holier than though discussion here when referencing others regards what they're posting during the game because it's the very things most are saying out loud while they're watching the games live...

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, some of you can sure dish it out, but are super sensitive when someone gives it back.

What I got out of that is we somehow OWE you keeping in any frustrations to ourselves because by God, you do that for us.

This ownership group hasn't done shit for this town since getting the Safe built. They have put one terrible team on the field after another. How many Managers have they gone through in the last 10 years? They have NEVER been to the WS. Not ONCE! And never really even threatened to do so. Our best collective memory as a fan base is of a double in the ALDS. That's the highest point of this teams history and it came before half of the people up here got out of diapers. And as recently as a few weeks ago we get a reminder at how much of an obstructionist they have been to the NBA returning. That alone has REALLY angered a lot of people. They have much repair to do to their relationship with even solid baseball fans in this town.

People are free to believe all is good in the world and the team is going to win the WS. You are free to blow flowers and sunshine out of your ass as often as you like. Others are free to bitch whine and moan anytime they feel the need as well. Sometimes some do both in the same game like last night. And there's NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

No one up here owes anyone anything at any time. If you want to vent then vent. If you are pissed off at the bad pitching or Cano's brain farts at times then by all means reach out and say so. YOU are free to ignore it and only reply to the unicorns and rainbows if that's all you want.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I explained my superstition already but damn, would've been exciting to see, and your welcome fans for watching SpongeBob instead

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When have I ever said that I only want to see positive comments? If there's a legit reason to be negative, be negative. It's the constant drone of negativity that often goes past venting frustration that drives me nuts, but you're right. I can ignore it and I will by just not going into the Series threads anymore. Enjoy your misery threads.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish looks good at the moment. Course only first inning. Would be nice to see one of our starters go a few without letting up any runs :hope: