• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Padres vs M's 5/30-5/31

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
366 pitches in this game.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course, nothing on this game over on ESPN.com. Obviously they weren't going to overshadow Game 1 of the NBA Finals, but it's not anywhere to be seen on the MLB front page either. If it wasn't the Mariners and Padres, it'd probably be the second story on the list of Top Stories.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:eek:

Glad I kept this one on as background noise, once the M's got the bases loaded for Cruz and he saw a ton of pitches it was all downhill from there for the Padres. Great game by the offense to battle back in this one.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course, nothing on this game over on ESPN.com. Obviously they weren't going to overshadow Game 1 of the NBA Finals, but it's not anywhere to be seen on the MLB front page either. If it wasn't the Mariners and Padres, it'd probably be the second story on the list of Top Stories.

To be fair, it's gonna take a while to cut together that highlight. Probably at the end of quick pitch.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, it's gonna take a while to cut together that highlight. Probably at the end of quick pitch.

I'm just talking about on the website. They finally posted a 52 second video on their MLB front page. If this game was between two higher profile teams, they'd have had something about that 7th inning up by the 9th inning.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG... How the hell did the M's pull that one off !!!! It was 12-2 and I gave up, I just checked the line score to see how much we lost by ... Man was that a surprise ! Lol dam

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG... How the hell did the M's pull that one off !!!! It was 12-2 and I gave up, I just checked the line score to see how much we lost by ... Man was that a surprise ! Lol dam

Tons of two out RBI singles in the 7th. All 9 runs in that inning came with 2 outs. Solid line drives, parachute shots just over the heads of the infielders and a couple of ricochet hits did the job. Aoki even stole a base without a throw and promptly scored on a Guti 2-run single in that inning. If anyone wants to suggest that the Mariners rely too heavily on homers to score, show them the video of the 7th inning. The Padres pitchers ended up throwing more than 60 pitches in that inning combined and the Padre fans were so stunned that you could actually hear "Let's Go Mariners!" chant loud and clear from the M's fans in attendance.

edit: I forgot the best part.... Five of those runs came off of Brandon Maurer and Matt Thornton.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still in early June, right? We haven't jumped on a time machine to September have we? Even if we did lose this game, we'd be a game out with a three game series against the team directly ahead of us starting tomorrow. Enough with the "Here we go again...", "I knew it wouldn't last" crap. Just because we're used to the team falling off a cliff at some point during the season doesn't mean every rough spot is gonna turn into that. It's June 2nd for crying out loud.

What's to facepalm? We were sitting a half game out of first place coming in (and are currently tied for first after that ridiculously fun comeback) and as ugly as blowouts can be and as irritating as losing to bad teams is, there's a difference between letting out frustration and immediately jumping to the worst-case scenario. This board is really good at the latter and pretending they're doing the former. I'm not gonna apologize for calling people out for overreacting to a couple of frustrating series and a few more frustrating games. Not when the team has been in first place or within a game of first place since late April.

Yes, it sucks that Paxton and Miley just took turns getting lit up like Christmas trees by a team that had no business roughing them up. Yes, it's possible that the M's could fall out of contention by the end of the season if they don't fix a couple of things. But would it kill some of you guys to pretend like this team is and has been good this year? Would it kill some of you to not assume the worst based on what amounts to a tiny portion of a very long season for once? I get that the team has burned us when we've done that in the past, but those teams weren't this team.

This team can take a punch and throw one right back. With the exception of the first homestand of the season in the first week of the season, this team doesn't let losing streaks get out of hand. This team can go down by a bunch of runs and hit their way back into a game. This team knows how to keep at-bats alive. This team doesn't rely solely on its star players to bail them out, even though those star players are putting up great numbers so far. Forget what previous Mariner teams have done and concentrate on what this one is doing and what this one is doing is winning. They're not going to win every game and some losses are going to be more frustrating/head scratching than others, but no team wins every game and every team has frustrating losses. Hell, even the 2001 Mariners had some of those (The Cleveland game comes immediately to mind). If they go on a big losing streak, complain about it then, but don't anticipate one just because one would have happened in a previous season. This is a different team, with half of the players and none of the coaching staff having had anything to do with those previous failures. Don't let the failures of the past seep into your viewing experience of this year's team.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tons of two out RBI singles in the 7th. All 9 runs in that inning came with 2 outs. Solid line drives, parachute shots just over the heads of the infielders and a couple of ricochet hits did the job. Aoki even stole a base without a throw and promptly scored on a Guti 2-run single in that inning. If anyone wants to suggest that the Mariners rely too heavily on homers to score, show them the video of the 7th inning. The Padres pitchers ended up throwing more than 60 pitches in that inning combined and the Padre fans were so stunned that you could actually hear "Let's Go Mariners!" chant loud and clear from the M's fans in attendance.

edit: I forgot the best part.... Five of those runs came off of Brandon Maurer and Matt Thornton.

Amazing.....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks just throw a fit and give up way too early around here. I am glad I didn't write the team off and kept watching, saw the entire historically great comeback win. Unbelievably awesome to see that.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave up on the game... Took a nap then woke up to check the score and saw the final strike by Cishek. My reaction was "wtf, how the hell"

WOW... This team... It's for real guys

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's to facepalm? We were sitting a half game out of first place coming in (and are currently tied for first after that ridiculously fun comeback) and as ugly as blowouts can be and as irritating as losing to bad teams is, there's a difference between letting out frustration and immediately jumping to the worst-case scenario. This board is really good at the latter and pretending they're doing the former. I'm not gonna apologize for calling people out for overreacting to a couple of frustrating series and a few more frustrating games. Not when the team has been in first place or within a game of first place since late April.

Yes, it sucks that Paxton and Miley just took turns getting lit up like Christmas trees by a team that had no business roughing them up. Yes, it's possible that the M's could fall out of contention by the end of the season if they don't fix a couple of things. But would it kill some of you guys to pretend like this team is and has been good this year? Would it kill some of you to not assume the worst based on what amounts to a tiny portion of a very long season for once? I get that the team has burned us when we've done that in the past, but those teams weren't this team.

This team can take a punch and throw one right back. With the exception of the first homestand of the season in the first week of the season, this team doesn't let losing streaks get out of hand. This team can go down by a bunch of runs and hit their way back into a game. This team knows how to keep at-bats alive. This team doesn't rely solely on its star players to bail them out, even though those star players are putting up great numbers so far. Forget what previous Mariner teams have done and concentrate on what this one is doing and what this one is doing is winning. They're not going to win every game and some losses are going to be more frustrating/head scratching than others, but no team wins every game and every team has frustrating losses. Hell, even the 2001 Mariners had some of those (The Cleveland game comes immediately to mind). If they go on a big losing streak, complain about it then, but don't anticipate one just because one would have happened in a previous season. This is a different team, with half of the players and none of the coaching staff having had anything to do with those previous failures. Don't let the failures of the past seep into your viewing experience of this year's team.
How about just let fans be fans and stop picking on them for not agreeing with you?

It isn't exactly fair to pick on those that always see things in a positive light even when there hasn't really been much positive in decades and the same goes the other way. We don't all root the same. There are a few up here that want to ride a high horse and tell everyone "See, I told you so" over every win and exaggerate the frustration some have shown.

Look, I went to every game for UW in '08 and wore my colors all that season and all through the off season. I bleed purple and gold. But don't think for a second I wasn't bitching up a storm over what that ass hat Willingham was doing to our team. Bitching comes with fandom.

I really don't care if there are 5x the number of Seahawk fans today as they was pre 2012 either. "Bandwagon", so what? People are enjoying it and riding the high. Who am I to tell them how much they must spend their own time suffering through the lows? It's their spare time. They don't owe me anything in terms of suffering. In fact I find it odd that so many get so upset over others not 'paying their dues'. You follow them closely no matter how they are doing? Great. You are getting your moneys worth then or something like that.

I was glad I watched that game last night and saw that comeback, but I don't blame anyone even a little bit over turning it off down 12-2. That wasn't fun. People, even some die hard fans, probably had better things to occupy their time with instead of watching that shit show early. Fine by me. They did miss a hell of a show.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks just throw a fit and give up way too early around here. I am glad I didn't write the team off and kept watching, saw the entire historically great comeback win. Unbelievably awesome to see that.

Well I watch the entire game as well just did not post on this message board while doing so. I was posting all over Facebook though. Great game indeed. Much easier to come in after the game and post vs. Posting during the game. As some of you do

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you thought the Padres management was upset after Seattle beat them 16 - 4 just imagine what is going on today after losing 16-13

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean way to go... but 12-2 GENERALLY is a sealed game in the MLB... you don't see NFL scores posted much in baseball. Can't blame most people for walking away from it unless you're a 100% die hard.

I rarely if ever walk away from a Seahawks game. Don't think I've ever just turned it off without turning it back on or checking ESPN constantly before it's over... that said, there's 16 games in the NFL season vs. 162. Dedicating 500 hours out of 4,000 or so (for the year, counting sleeping) is ridiculous, so I get turning off something that seems to be a lost cause 99% of the time.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean way to go... but 12-2 GENERALLY is a sealed game in the MLB... you don't see NFL scores posted much in baseball. Can't blame most people for walking away from it unless you're a 100% die hard.

I rarely if ever walk away from a Seahawks game. Don't think I've ever just turned it off without turning it back on or checking ESPN constantly before it's over... that said, there's 16 games in the NFL season vs. 162. Dedicating 500 hours out of 4,000 or so (for the year, counting sleeping) is ridiculous, so I get turning off something that seems to be a lost cause 99% of the time.

Like I said it's very easy for people to come in after the game and say that versus people who are actually posting during the game... but one thing I did not do was stop watching.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure. Seeing a team come back from 10 runs almost never happens. But there's a big difference between acknowledging that and throwing a big fit and saying a bunch of "sky is falling" junk.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I watch the entire game as well just did not post on this message board while doing so. I was posting all over Facebook though. Great game indeed. Much easier to come in after the game and post vs. Posting during the game. As some of you do
I hardly ever hang out in here during the games, mainly because I'm watching them with other people and also because I really don't have the stomach for the wild overreaction and panic every time anything goes wrong. We don't drive straight down the lane around here; we jerk the wheel left, then jerk it right, and repeat.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Seeing a team come back from 10 runs almost never happens. But there's a big difference between acknowledging that and throwing a big fit and saying a bunch of "sky is falling" junk.

Yes, that I agree on.